Searching for a mattress in Quad Cities
Nov 17, 2010 10:37 PM

Copied from another thread so sjeanine's journey was easier to follow instead of mixed in with other stuff....

sjeanine wrote:

Sorry, I see by my last posted reply that I didnt post it right so trying again!  Phoenix, I'm wondering who/where you finally bought your mattress layers from??  Can you exchange them at any time if you want to?   I am wanting to do the same as you did...building the layers but, not sure where/who to buy them from?!  I'm finding the whole mattress buying thing as stressful as buying a car and just wish I could be done but want to make sure I am getting the right fit the first time!  What size did you get and approx how much did it cost you?  Did you already have a foundation to put the layers on and if so, where did you get that?  Thanks so much for sharing.  I hope I can find something I'm as happy with as you seem!  ; )

sjeanine

Phoenix wrote:

sjeanine,

I had enough confidence from my own personal experiences and research to believe that I could get it right the first time as shipping costs for a whole mattress would really exclude comfort exchanges. I would have had to use toppers to make any changes and in a softer mattress that is more difficult. It is a manufactured mattress as opposed to a zip cover (which I wanted as it was "tighter" and reinforced for the adjustable bed). If a comfort exchange would have been more important to me I would have certainly had many options outside of this one and it was a little "riskier" than other options I had but I believed it was worth it to get what I wanted. They ship anywhere in the US (my shipping was from Texas to Washington State near Tacoma).

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

Phoenix,

Thanks for telling me about the "all" button!  I found your reply....sorry...  Is there any way that you could send me a pic or post a pic of your mattress selection?  Did you tell them the specs you wanted or was it something they already had made up that you could choose?  I live in IL and just dont have a clue who to buy from.  I spent some time at the mall yesterday with a guy who sold tempurpedics and I told him I really thought I wanted to go with Latex, from what all I've read....He had a few "Nature's Rest" Latex beds but they were quite pricey and he couldnt really tell me anything about them.  He said he had them for people like me who wanted a natural bed but that he really thought I should buy a tempurpedic!  Ugh!  The Tempurpedic Cloud did feel wonderful but, I just really want to find something with less chemicals...I already have asthma and cough most of the night as it is and I liked the thought of something all natural, like latex. 

sjeanine

Phoenix wrote:

Yes, They and most manufacturers have mattresses that are "standard" configurations but mine was built to my own specs. For example I could have chosen 2.5" outer layers instead of 3 or changed the core or any layer to any ILD I wanted. Most will also have a choice of ticking and what goes in the quilting (wool, latex, cotton etc) as well.

I finally got around to putting a few pictures on Flickr which I understand is needed to post pictures to the forum so as soon as I read how to do that I'll post a few pictures here (and in the other thread about the Natura pad).

Natures Rest is "sort of" latex in some of their models but even their top end has too much poly in the comfort layers for me and as you said they are way too expensive for what you get. Most of the bigger brands are like this when it comes to their "latex" mattresses.

Memory foam is a really tricky thing and the only good thing about Tempur-pedic IMO is that it is a known quantity. Unfortunately "known" means a price that is hard to justify and also comes with the negatives of memory foam. I like the feel of memory foam in certain layers in a mattress (my favorite is a thin layer of latex over memory foam over latex similar to the high end NXG 575) but the negatives are just too many for me when it comes to memory foam. If I did go in that direction ... there are enough "known" alternatives now (along with many unknown alternatives) that I would never go in the direction of Tempur and pay their price.

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

Phoenix,

Thanks for the pics!  I woke up this morning with my shoulders killing me cuz of my mattress so I need to make a decision soon....just afraid of making the wrong one and being stuck with it!  You did have an advantage in that you were able to go to the store to talk to someone and try the beds out....whereas I am trying to decide over an internet...makes it tough!  Plus, we really dont have the money to buy a new mattress....will have to finance it but, it's a necessity since the dr told me if I dont find a better mattress soon, I could end up with permanant nerve damage in my shoulders.  Ugh!  Thanks again.

SJ

Phoenix wrote:

"You did have an advantage in that you were able to go to the store to talk to someone and try the beds out"

There aren't any mattress stores near you that sell latex mattress or at least mattresses with latex in the top layers? As you know I didn't try this mattress before I bought it but I would never have considered buying it sight unseen like I did unless I had tried other latex mattresses first to get an idea of the specs that worked for me. Are you sure there are really no mattress stores near you?

If there isn't ... I would definitely get a mattress that would allow you a comfort exchange at low shipping cost. A mattress that is a "manufactured unit" would really only be suitable for someone who was reasonably sure what they needed or had tried it first.

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

Phoenix,

The only place I could find with any latex mattresses, after an exhausting search was right at our local mall....but, they only had the Tempurpedics and Natures Rest so, I did lay on them and really liked them but not willing to pay $3,000...plus, after seeing their reviews online, wasnt wanting to buy a Nature's Rest.  I am 5'4" tall and weigh 125 and my dh is 5'9" and weighs about 165.  I have some RA going on and my shoulders bother me a LOT at night and I also have a bad neck that causes me a lot of headaches...My dh is fine with sleeping on a rock but I have to find something else....We currently have a 10 yr old Sealy Posturepedic Inclination Plush Pillow Top....Seems like ten years ago it felt great but it sure causes me pain now!

sjeanine

Phoenix wrote:

The Tempurpedic is not a latex mattress and is VERY different from latex. They are polar opposites. The natures rest has some latex in it but also lots of poly so it wouldn't really give you a fair comparison. What city do you live in?

I would really NOT buy a manufactured mattress like I did unless you had some experience laying on latex mattresses.

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

I live near the Quad Cities (Moline, Rock Island, IL and Davenport and Bettendorf, IA)....small town on the outskirts.  I sent you a pm...

Phoenix wrote:

You have LOTS of choices to test mattresses around you. In a quick search I found many including the few I listed here. I would go to Lebeda first as I know they make latex mattresses at decent prices. I stopped looking because there were so many so I would do a little internet research and make a few calls and then go and lay on some latex BEFORE you buy anything :)

http://www.lebeda.com/ They are a manufacturer (like the one I got mine from) and they make latex mattresses at good prices.

http://www.ashleyfurniturehomestore.com/ Ashley sleep (check to see if there is poly in these in the comfort layers)

http://www.lifestylesfurniture.com/catalog.php3?category=0000001190 Dormia

http://www.furniturerow.com/DenverMattressCo/ItemType/Queen%20Mattress%20Set/ Aspen and Snowmass

http://lwbeddingqc.com/about_us.htm Another custom manufacturers. Check to see if they make latex mattresses

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

Phoenix,

Thanks!  I guess when I did my research, I was just Googling latex mattresses and nothing would come up for my area...as far as furniture stores carrying them.  I'm not very pc literate...

I will go and check out Lebeda today.  Funny cuz the guy at the mall told me "they" were the only ones in the area who carried latex!    What kinds of questions should I be asking?  I mean, just laying on it isnt going to make me decide cuz you cant tell that quickly how it will feel over a few months of laying on it....I dont want anything with poly or chemicals in it cuz I have bad allergies as it is.  We removed the carpeting from our bedroom and put an air purifier in just to help out. 

Phoenix wrote:

"What kinds of questions should I be asking?"

Here's the quick version.

1. First go and flop around on some mattresses ... any mattresses ... to find out what kind of overall feel you like ... plush to firm. This part doesn't have to be latex.

2. Next spend some time on ones that are "in the range" with at least 3" of latex in the very top (preferably all latex and at MOST 1" of poly) in all your sleeping positions to see if you can feel any pressure points. Make sure you use a suitable pillow when you do this. Ask for the specs of the ones that don't give you any pressure points.

3. Next spend some time on the ones that don't give you any pressure problems and check for spinal alignment on each of them in all your sleeping positions. This step too should be with either latex in the top (if you are considering this as an option) or all latex if that is what you are looking for. It helps if someone can help you here. When you're on your side your spine should be straight (a yardstick can help here) and when you're on your back there should be no "gaps" between the more recessed parts of your body (like the small of your back) and the mattress. Your spine should be in the same position here as when you are standing up straight with good posture so that no parts are sinking in too far or too little.

4. Make sure you get the exact specs of any mattresses that are close so that you can find out the ILD (softness/firmness) of the latex and the layering (the ILD aned thickness of each layer) that works for you. If the salesperson can't or won't give them to you exactly, then write down the brand and model and either look it up on the internet or post here if you need help.

5. DO NOT BUY anything while you are testing mattresses out no matter what kind of a deal you are offered. The stores or manufacturers that depend on phony sales and pressure are usually not so confident in their product they offer. Most of the better choices can be bought anytime at a good price. The most important part is to get to know what works for you. Then and only then are you ready to consider what to buy.

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

Thanks again, Phoenix!  I'm heading out now to go mattress shopping and will report later what I found out.  I'm headed to L&W, Lebeda and Ashley's!  ; )  I called L&W to find out where they're located first cuz I'd never heard of them so I can tell you already that he (the owner) said he makes all his own mattresses except the latex.  He said he gets those from Latex International??  He said the two types he has are Dunlop and they're 100percent natural latex.  He said one has ilds of 36-38 and the other is around 40.  He does not do layering cuz it comes this way to him.  He said they're two sided so should be flipped after about a year and he sells them for $1600 something.  Shouldn't there be layers of latex/foam??  I'm confused about it being one big slab...I forgot to ask how many inches thick it was but I'll find out when I go there in a bit. 

sjeanine

Phoenix wrote:

Latex international is a high quality latex manufacturer that most of North America gets their quality latex from. They mostly supply latex that's made in a way called Talalay but they and others also use a method called Dunlop which is a little firmer and less "bouncy".

Most people use a layering scheme when they buy a latex mattress but having said that there may be some where a single layer is perfect. This is less likely though unless you like a firm mattress with less "give" on the top. Any experience though will help you come to know what is right for you.

Good luck

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

Phoenix,

Hi, I'm back from my shopping and here's what I found out today:

Lebeda Matress:

Had two beds with 4" of Dunlopia Latex (that's what the lady said) on top of 805 coil springs...all inside the quilted lining....one bed had a bamboo top and the other had wool she said....One of them had some sort of extra support in the center top part...at least that's where she was showing it with her hands....She said her husband had a metal rod in his back and he loved the one bed with the extra support....I wasnt prepared to see these since I didnt know they made latex beds with springs...but, they were both extremely comfortable....both were around the same price of $2500.  When I asked if she had any just plain latex mattresses, without any springs inside, she showed me another mattress that she said was 8" of latex only.  It was sitting on box springs and was $1500 for a queen set but didnt feel quite as comfortable as the other two.  She said it was their most popular bed that sold to most chiro's and other doctors.  The ild of all three mattresses, according to her, was 33.  When I asked to see the specs, she was quite guarded and wouldnt let me see them but was reading it to me....I cant remember any of it now....When I asked where the latex came from, she said Cedar Rapids, Iowa....Oh, the mattresses could not be flipped cuz of the springs...except for the $1500 set...it was 2 sided.

L & W Mattress:

This was a little "ma and pop" shop...his words!  lol  But, he did have one latex bed on display.  It was 6" of latex from Latex International with an ild of 36 or 38...cant remember for sure which it was but it definitely felt stiffer than the ones at Lebeda and I told him that I was afraid the hardness on my shoulders would cause problems and he said he could add another smaller layer of maybe 1" of latex on both sides that was a smaller ild...like a pillow he said, then add wool before he sewed on the bamboo cover but....said he'd have to get back with me Friday about how much more it would cost to do that.  His warrantee was 10 years straight and then 10 yrs pro-rated and he said if it was not right, he'd make it right by adding or taking away whatever I needed him to in order to make it comfortable for me.  I liked this but a bit worried about what it will cost and also worried about how hard/stiff it was anyway.  He said the mattress sits on a 85 coil spring box springs....thought that seemed like not very many springs for a queen...plus, I thought latex beds were supposed to be on a wooden/slat frame....what do you think??  Man, I still feel lost and overwhelmed here!

I looked for the Ashley store but couldnt find it....a Slumberland was where it used to be...they said Ashley went out of business but the guy in Slumberland showed me what he had in the way of Latex.....It was a Simmons latex mattress that was on clearance on a different companies box springs...cant remember the name of it.  He said it was an unmatched set that used to be $1400 on clearance for $898 and with no warranty.  Didnt think this sounded to good....Then he directed me to some other bedding called NxG memory foam....I have no idea what was in it.  He just said it was new and much better than tempurpedic cuz it had no hot issues or sinking in problems....made by Simmons.  It felt nice too but not sure what is in it so just thanked him and left. 

Lastly, I seen a site today that looked interesting called Arizona Premium Mattress Co...They had some latex mattesses and other eco friendly type mattresses that had a new type of eco friendly memory foam....have you heard of them?  I wondered what you thought of their mattresses? 

That was today's looking...what do you think??  Any advice/suggestions at this point??  Thanks...

sjeanine

Phoenix wrote:

OK lets take this one step at a time through the 5 steps I posted earlier.

1. Flopping ... Did you flop and lay on a bunch of mattresses of any kind (this part doesn't have to be latex). What overall feel did you like best?

2. Pressure relief ... Which mattresses with latex in the top (doesn't matter what is under this top part in this step ... even springs are fine) did you lie on for a while and find that you didn't have pressure points. What was the ILD or softness of the top layer of latex in these? See below.

3. Not sure if you got this far. Did you get as far as testing any mattresses for how they aligned your spine?

Lebeda ...  They have 5 mattresses with latex in the top that they emailed me the specs for when I was doing my research. 4 of them are talalay latex over something else (dunlop or poly) and one of them is pure dunlop. They are called the Grand Teton, The Acadia, The Shenandoah, The Yosemite, and The Acadia. From what you've said they also have 2 with latex over springs which I don't have specs for. What we need to know is which of these 5 did you like in step 2? I have the specs so you don't need to ask with these (although it would be good practice). I also would need to know which of the two (if any) spring models worked for you in step 2 and what were the specs of the top latex layer in these (thickness and softness). Your questions here and your experiences as they relate to specific mattresses and models are what we need now.

L&W ... I thought that they would be too firm. I would wait until he confirms how much it would cost to add at least 2" of softer latex to each side before I went any further here since you would need them on the showroom floor at this testing stage.

Slumberland ... They have some mattresses called Simmons natural care that have latex in the top (with some poly). Did you lie on any of these? If you did how did they go with step 1 and 2 and what were the models you liked.

Dunlop (Dunlopia) is one of the 2 ways that latex is made. Latex is often seen over springs and over poly as well.

I am very familiar with Arizon premium mattress company and I've mentioned them favorably in several threads. For now though ... since you don't live in Arizona ... It's the lay on bed experience and the specific information that comes from that through your specific questions that we need before I would consider a manufacturer that can build to your specs.

Next step is to "fill in the blanks" from your experiences today. This may involve checking out some of the mattresses you lay on and testing for specific things in step 2 (pressure) and step 3 (keeping your spine straight) and then getting the specs of the ones that fit for you.

I would also broaden your search to a few other stores (there are lots around you) but FIRST phone them and ask them if they have any all latex mattresses with less than 1" of poly on top and/or if they have any mattresses with at least 3" of latex on top of something else. If they don't have this they aren't worth going to.

Don't forget that we are in testing stage and the goal here is to find out what works ... not what to buy. Deciding what to buy and looking at price is the very last step and really not important at his point. If a mattress has latex in the top or is all latex then it is your plaground and research lab ... no matter what it costs.

NXG is memory foam and not something I would consider adding to the mix at this point. Lets keep it to latex and latex over something else for now.

Phoenix

sjeanine wrote:

OK lets take this one step at a time through the 5 steps I posted earlier.

1. Flopping ... Did you flop and lay on a bunch of mattresses of any kind (this part doesn't have to be latex).

No, just laid on three latex mattresses since that was what I was after. 

What overall feel did you like best? 

Yes, I laid on the "Reve" for $2399...which had springs so it could not be flipped but it felt the most comfortable one to me, at Lebeda.  She said it was 4" of Dunlopia latex on 805 springs and 33 ild.  I also laid on the $1500  33 ild 8" pure dunlopia latex...had a bamboo ticking...it was ok but felt firmer than the 4" on springs....weird. 

2. Pressure relief ... Which mattresses with latex in the top (doesn't matter what is under this top part in this step ... even springs are fine) did you lie on for a while and find that you didn't have pressure points. What was the ILD or softness of the top layer of latex in these? See below. 

33 ild on all the Lebeda's that she showed me in the store.  She said that was all she had in latex.   The one latex mattress at the LW Bedding was stiff and hurt my shoulder a bit when I layed on it and the owner told me that all mattresses are going to hurt your shoulders if you lie on them long enough on your sides....The Reve at Lebeda felt the softest and had the least pressure points to my shoulder but still could've been softer I think for me....

3. Not sure if you got this far. Did you get as far as testing any mattresses for how they aligned your spine?

I asked my son, age 11, if my spine looked straight but he wasnt sure...the manager at lebeda said it did...of course she would....and so did the guy at LW Bedding.  I didnt lay on any of the mattresses at Slumberland.  The sales person didnt seem very willing to talk about specs and I didnt think he seemed to knowledgeable. 

Lebeda ...  They have 5 mattresses with latex in the top that they emailed me the specs for when I was doing my research. 4 of them are talalay latex over something else (dunlop or poly) and one of them is pure dunlop. They are called the Grand Teton, The Acadia, The Shenandoah, The Yosemite, and The Acadia. From what you've said they also have 2 with latex over springs which I don't have specs for. What we need to know is which of these 5 did you like in step 2? 

Hmmm, maybe I better go back again and see if there was some other beds she didnt show me but I did ask if that was all the latex beds she had and she said yes. 

I have the specs so you don't need to ask with these (although it would be good practice). I also would need to know which of the two (if any) spring models worked for you in step 2 and how thick and what were the specs of the top latex layer in these (thickness and softness). Your questions here and your experiences as they relate to specific mattresses and models are what we need now. 

Reve was 4" of dunlopia over springs and it felt the best to me but still a little pressure on my shoulder....it was 33 ild.

L&W ... I thought that they would be too firm. I would wait until he confirms how much it would cost to add at least 2" of softer latex to each side before I went any further here since you would need them on the showroom floor at this testing stage. 

Ok, thanks.).

Slumberland ... They have some mattresses called Simmons natural care that have latex in the top (with some poly). Did you lie on any of these? If you did how did they go with step 1 and 2 and what were the models you liked. 

No, I was only shown the one latex Simmons on clearance and then that other memory foam...He said it was all they had and I did not lay on either of them. 

Dunlop (Dunlopia) is one of the 2 ways that latex is made. Latex is often seen over springs and over poly as well.

I am very familiar with Arizon premium mattress company and I've mentioned them favorably in several threads. For now though ... since you don't live in Arizona ... It's the lay on bed experience and the specific information that comes from that through your specific questions that we need before I would consider a manufacturer that can build to your specs. 

Ok, I can go to Denver Mattress in Davenport, Iowa tommorrow or Friday probably and see what they have.  But, online I seen their specs showed the Snowqueen, or some name like that, had some sort of PU foam...what is that??  I just dont want any chemicals....

Next step is to "fill in the blanks" from your experiences today. This may involve checking out some of the mattresses you lay on and testing for specific things in step 2 (pressure) and step 3 (keeping your spine straight) and then getting the specs of the ones that fit for you.

I would also broaden your search to a few other stores (there are lots around you) but FIRST phone them and ask them if they have any all latex mattresses with less than 1" of poly on top and/or if they have any mattresses with at least 3" of latex on top of something else. If they don't have this they aren't worth going to. 

Ok, will do....will go out again tomorrow and Friday...possibly hitting up Lebeda again...and Denver Mattress Co. 

NXG is memory foam and not something I would consider adding to the mix at this point. Lets keep it to latex and latex over something else for now. 

K...thanks Phoenix...I'll report back when I learn more!  ; ) 

Phoenix

Phoenix wrote:

Just to be a little more specific here ... I would do a little more prelim research on the phone before you go out again. The specs of the mattresses you lay on that you haven't alread menioned and finding out if they have the models they told me they did can be done on the phone before you go there. Finding out which other stores have latex mattresses can also be done at home. The more you can do on the phone the more fun and the less frustrating and confusing going to stores will be.

I think you may be sort of "mixing up steps". Keep each one separate for now so on each mattress you lay on you are looking for one thing at a time specifically.

Step 1. is about overall feel. Softness, bounciness, plushness, and just the ahhh feeling. This tells us a bit about the overall construction you may like. In this step it makes absolutely no difference what mattresses you try or even if they have any latex in them ... it only matters that you know the make and model of the ones you liked and whether they felt plush, firm, bouncy, and all the other "feelings" that come to mind as you flop, lay, and roll around on them. It's just about an overall feel that you like.

Step 2 is specifically about finding out about a mattresses ability to relieve pressure. We want to know what kind of top layers work for you here. A mattress with an inch or less of poly in the top is still very helpful here since we are not thinking about actually buying anything you are "testing" for now ... only gathering information about what fits your needs.

Step 3 is about testing the mattresses that worked for you in step 2 for support and spinal alignment. It's still not about buying anything but about finding what type of deep support works for you. Even latex on springs and then knowing what kind of springs worked would help to know what kind of latex would give similar support.

Dont worry about whether any of the mattresses you "use" to gather information would actually be suitable for you. It's the information we want ... so we can put together an idea of your perfect mattress. None of the one's you test may be perfect but knowing what works and doesn't would give a much better idea of how to put together a "do it yourself" if that ends up being the way to go.

Hope this helps a bit. Just treat all the stores as your playground and research lab no matter what their mattresses cost. Do as much on the phone as you can. And most of all have fun with this. We will get there if you go only one step at a time.

Phoenix

Phoenix wrote:

Do a google search for "mattress moline illinois" and you will get a list of stores. One called the back store will also be helpful (It has OMI mattresses) but there are lots more.

then do a google search on the other 3 parts of the quad cities to see if you get any more.

You will get lots of options and then call the ones that you think are worth it and ask them specific questions about what they have before you decide where to go.

If I can find them ... so can you :)

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 18, 2010 by Phoenix
Re: Searching for a mattress in Quad Cities
Reply #23 Nov 23, 2010 10:35 AM
I forgot to mention that I am allergic to lanolin and silicone....should I be concerned about that with purchasing any of the mattresses posted?    I just realized that some, or maybe most of the latex mattresses come in two pieces??  Wouldnt that cause a dip in the middle, eventually, if not right away, if you slept or rolled to the center of the bed?  

I like the idea of the 7 zones on the Allure plush top mattress but a little worried about if the Dunlop would feel to firm to me.  I also like that they have free shipping if you need to return it....as well as the 10% off coupon. 

I also liked the 9" Aristocrat cuz you get 9" of course of the Talalay latex and I love the idea you get 4 mths to decide if it's right for you in firmness...and, they will pay for the shipping both ways!  But,  I read on another post that someone said natural latex only lasts about 10 years before breaking down...is that true?  Should I be looking at a blend or the Dunlop instead of any of the Talalay? 

I liked the adjustable ultra plush sleep system cuz of the all Talalay and being able to customize both sides but a bit pricey if you need to return a layer....do you know how many times you can do this with any that say you can exchange them?? 

Thanks for all your work and and advice!  ; )

sjeanine

P.S.  Ok, after showing all the info you posted to my SO we think we have decided to go with the Allure plush top mattress from the Latex Mattress shop.  Do you know what their warranty is?  Do you think this is a good choice?   I am wondering what the ILD is of it and if it's one big piece, not layers, how it's put together and/or would arrive.  I guess I can email them but was wondering if you knew already.   Do you think this is a good choice?  I'm just a little bit nervous tht it could be to firm...even with the soft.   Wish I could try this out first! Oh, what to do.....

P.S.S.  Should I be looking at slatted wood foundation or spring foundation?  Is there an advantage of one over the other with latex mattresses?  Thanks again.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by sjeanine
Reply #24 Nov 23, 2010 4:33 PM
Usually a water based glue is used to glue latex together either with narrower pieces or gluing layers together. Because Talalay is produced in narrower cores, they are often glued together and assuming that a "good glue" was used (which is likely in a good quality manufacturer) there is no cause for concern. You will not notice any glue seams or "dips" unless there was a manufacturing issue.

Natural Talalay has a 10 year warranty from LI while their blended has 20. I don't believe that the blend is "twice as durable" as the natural and that the warranty is more because they are playing it safe because it hasn't been in the market nearly as long than it is about actual length of time it will last. I do believe that natural may be slightly less durable in the lower ILD's especially but it also has a slightly different feel that some people like and the fact it is natural (like most but not all Dunlop) is also attractive to many people. In the end it is a matter of preference as I believe that all the good quality types of latex have their own unique advantages and disadvantages and that overall one is not "clearly better" than another.

I think they all represent good value. The differences are really more about personal choices than anything else. I would definitely call the ones you are considering though rather than rely on me for your "final questions" that are specific to their product as I believe it is important to know who you are buying from.

I did like the mattresses at latexmattressshop as I personally liked the idea of quilted latex in my mattress. It was one of my "very final list" along with a couple of the others before I made my final decision. I know my own final decision was hard not because any one was "better" than any other but because my choices were all so great that it was difficult to decide which "combination of benefits and price" I liked the best.

Call your 3 favorites and get a sense of how you feel about them and what they say. Ask them "I'm having a hard time deciding between you and a couple of others and can you tell me about why you believe I should buy your mattress". None of them mind talking to people about the specific benefits of their mattress whether you buy or not since that is part of what they do every day. For example you could ask latexmattressshop "I really like your mattress but the other ones I'm considering are Talalay and I like soft ... could you tell me your thoughts on how your mattress with the quilting would compare to a mattress with a softer layer of Talalay on top".

These final phone calls are the fun part :)

Phoenix

PS: a boxspring is not really suitable for a latex or any foam mattress. You need a more solid base that that doesn't flex like a boxspring. The slatted ones are the best because they help the mattress to breathe. Slatted ones that are firm but adjustable in their tension in ways that can slightly alter the feel of a mattress and help "customize" it to your preference are also good choices.

This message was modified Nov 23, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #25 Nov 23, 2010 6:51 PM
I talked with Bob at customsleep design this morning and confirmed with him that he will build a 9" latex mattress for people that have a more restricted budget. What he usually does in these cases is use a 4" core instead of 6" and then makes it a little firmer to compensate. I won't quote any prices since they depend on choice of material in the layers and overall construction and this can vary a lot but it would be "in the neighborhood" of mygreenmattress at the upper end of your range. His mattresses are more individually tailored to a person's body makeup than the others and also represent great value ... especially if someone has some kind of difficulty (pressure, spinal alignment etc) with a more non customized or more typical layering or zoning approach. He also does layer exchanges and you have 90 days to make sure you "got it right".

Phoenix

Reply #26 Nov 23, 2010 7:36 PM
Just a couple of minor corrections to the list.

I did not put the current 10% off when I listed the price for mattresses.net. I've changed he price above. Their special changes month to month apparently. When I was looking at them for example it was 2 pillows.

For myluxurymattress, the cover does not have wool. I changed the description of that as well. I also called them just to make sure about the type of latex they use. Unlike the others on the list, I had not talked to them before so if I was buying anything from them I would certainly talk to them first.

As I mentioned before ... this is the fun part and best of all you get to do it in the comfort of your home.

Post here if you have any questions that the answers you got don't sound "satisfying".

Phoenix

Reply #27 Nov 24, 2010 1:09 PM
Ok, after checking every companies BBB rating and talking with three that I really was interested in, I've now got it down to two places but still undecided....I really need to know what is in a Talalay blend.  I tried to call Latex International but they are all out for the holiday.  Can anyone answer me on what is in a blend??  Are there chemicals?  If so, what are they?  I talked to the guy at sleepez and he just told me to call LI cuz he wasnt sure but they offer a Talalay blend for the price you quoted me for their mattress....otherwise, the price was for a DUnlop and he didnt think I should go with Dunlop at all cuz of my arthritis.  He said it would be to hard.  He just said their Talalay blend was 40% Talalay and 60% of something else....synthetic made.  I really want to know what the something else is in it. 

I also called myluxurymattress and was very impressed with their mattress that you quoted me....but, he said he recommended the 24/40 Talalay for me and I told him that I really thought I should have the 24/32.  He told me it was easier to soften a to hard mattress than to harden a to soft mattress and that he still thought I should go with the harder set.  Now I'm confused about what to do with them....

Based on talking with my SO and checking BBB ratings and re-reading your advice/replies...these were my top two and now I'm confused today....The second one above said he's Fed-ex-ing me some samples to feel but that is not going to help....I cant lay on samples.  His BBB rating was B- for a warranty/guarantee problem in the last 36 mths.  Sleepez's was A+ even tho they had 2-3 complaints with warrantees.   I really wish we could afford the higher end company but we just cant since we still need to find a foundation yet too.

sjeanine

Reply #28 Nov 24, 2010 3:41 PM
I was a little bit curious about myluxurymattress because as I mentioned in my reply to your pm, they are the only one in the list I haven't talked to so I tried to call them last night but they weren't there any more so I called today just to verify what is on their website. In particular I wanted to make sure that it was 100% natural talalay and not just 100% talalay. I'm glad I did because he told me right away that it was the blend. He apologized and said that he didn't make the actual website and that he would have it changed right away. He also said he would change some of the other information I mentioned was on his site about Talalay latex comparisons (he says for example that it is 3 times more durable than Dunlop which is just not true).

Having said all that, he was quite open and also told me that while he could get the 100% natural, that it was more expensive and he normally wouldn't use it. I did find him a little difficult to talk to because he tended to start answering something before I was even finished asking (just in case he ever reads this) and what he was answering wasn't always in reply to what i was about to say ... but he clearly was not trying to be evasive and didn't want the website to misrepresent his products.

Besides him I had talked with all the others enough to know that I personally would have no problem doing business with any of them. I would consider them all to be reputable. BBB ratings are sometimes a complete misrepresentation of a company that is not registered with them (They are a private for profit company use their ratings to "encourage" and some would say "coerce" businesses to join and they rate businesses that are a member differently from those that aren't). It can be helpful in doing some research on a company but by itself the rating sometimes gives a false picture. It also gives you some "leverage" if they are a member and you have some problems but in the end it is the integrity of the owner of a company that ultimately determines how well any issues get "fixed". Shawn at Sleepez is better known on this forum and has a good reputation but having said that in my research I discovered that there are many excellent sources and outlets that have rarely if ever been mentioned on this forum (or the legacy forum that came before it) in it's long history. I purchased my mattress from one of them :)

In terms of natural vs blended Talalay latex, the difference is that the blend uses a synthetic rubber called SBR (styrene butadiene rubber) mixed with rubber from the rubber tree and the natural only uses rubber from the rubber tree. They are very similar chemically but they do have slight differences. The natural is more expensive but is generally considered to be slightly less durable than the blend which helps it to be a little more resistant to depressions. The natural is a little "springier" than the blend. Because the manufacturer also believes it won't last quite as long ... expecially in the lower ILD's, they put a shorter warranty on it of 10 years while the blend has a 20 year warranty. The fact that it is more expensive is why I suspected myluxurymattress was using the blend. It is really a matter of preference as I believe that while they are different, one is not clearly better than another and each person needs to decide for themselves if the 100% natural Talalay is worth the extra cost. Almost all the Dunlop that we talk about here on the forum is natural. There is a little more about my personal opinions about this in the "my mattress arrived" thread since my mattress has both in it. In your case, especially given your budget concerns, I would be considering the blend.

In terms of a mattress core ... the argument about it being easier to fix a mattress that is too hard than too soft doesn't really apply here since the upper 3" would be the same and both cases would involve sending the mattress back again anyway. If it was too hard and you put a soft topper on it to fix it, then it is clear to me that it wouldn't work because from your experience on matresses you would be out of alignment with more than 3" of soft latex. Your experience and feedback says to me that you would be better with the 32 but of course only your personal experience can say for sure. This is part of the risk you take but it is also why I only included outlets that were inexpensive to fix any "errors" we made. This is also why it would not be appropriate (IMO) for you to purchase a mattress from a manufacturer like the one I used where returning the mattress was so expensive that it really wouldn't be worth doing at all.  I was much more certain of what I wanted than you are although my guess is (based on your feedback) we are probably very close to a very good construction for you.

I know this last step is the hardest and how hard it is to knock off a good choice but in the end you will have to trust your best judgement. As I mentioned earlier I believe they are all good choices. It is the differences that are important to YOU that in the end will help you decide.

Phoenix

This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts