Sealy Reflexion latex?
Sep 2, 2009 7:34 PM
We went back to the mattress store today and tried out their latex beds (all Sealy Reflexion). We really liked the feel of them and we're seriously contemplating going with an all-latex bed, possibly DIY a la Bill (loved his photo thread). We were offered a "deal" (of course) on the Sealy Reflexion Saratoga Springs Plush mattress (http://www.mattressgiant.com/default.aspx?n=69&shop=store&category=MFLX&model=990681) . Now supposedly it is a mattress that is 100% talalay latex. It was incredibly comfy and was priced (regularly - haha!) at $2600. It was on sale for $2000 and they offered to sell it to us for $1425 (the district manager was there and he "approved" it - I feel dirty just going in to a mattress store). Anyway, is this is any way a good deal for just the mattress? We have through labor day to decide. It's much more expensive than building our own from FBM, and of course I have no idea what ILD it is.

Or...should we just build our own?
Re: Sealy Reflexion latex?
Reply #2 Sep 2, 2009 8:38 PM
I didn't even notice that on their site! Thank you! I just found the mattress online to show what it was we saw in store, and I'm not surprised that they told us it was 100% latex even though their own online info says otherwise. It was very comfy, regardless, but I can't believe I didn't notice that on their site!
Reply #3 Sep 2, 2009 8:44 PM
This US-Mattress website has a handy reference to the components of the Sealy/Simmons/Serta latex mattresses.  Of course you have to figure out which mattress compares to the one you are looking at as they are all branded under different names.  It looks like the one you looked at might be the Sealy Posturepedic SpringFree Latex Garden Vine Plush on this chart:

US-Mattress is offering this mattress for $1,259 for a Queen and $1,511 for a King, so no, you're not getting a special deal.

FYI, according to Sealy, "SuperSoft SealyFoam" is high density polyurethane foam.

http://site.namebrandbeds.com/latex-mattress-comparison-chart.html
This message was modified Sep 2, 2009 by KimberlyH
Reply #4 Sep 4, 2009 9:41 PM
I've spent time on this forum for months soaking up all the information but was nervous about DIY latex without being able to try it out. I went to Sleepy's and Mattress Giant and both told me that mattresses I tried were 100% latex. My own research after the fact showed one small layer of latex. They are just counting on people not knowing and pushing a mattress.

A few months ago I went the DIY route. I have a 3 layer from Sleep EZ and like others found them to be vey helpful and have a good deal. My set-up is 3" firm Dunlop, 3" medium Dunlop and 2" Talalaly soft top. I missed the height of my old battered S pillow top and I love a soft top so I added a Celsion Talalay 3" soft topper. I have never slept better.

Bill's advice was invaluable about opening the latex packages on the bed, Othewise I might have been smothered in a pile of latex. ;-)

For me DIY was a bit scary but a few months in I've never slept better.

Good luck.

Recent Posts