Question for Flobed Owners
Jan 24, 2010 12:51 PM
Have you laid on latex beds that are not flobeds and if so in comparing them is there an appreciable difference in the way they feel as far as plushness goes, not firmness...

I.E  i have to decide on foam vs latex and the tempurpedic foam is so plush feeling compared to the latex I have from costco, I want to know if people have experience with various latex products in this regard and thank you for your response....
This message was modified Jan 24, 2010 by randys
Re: Question for Flobed Owners
Reply #5 Jan 26, 2010 3:45 PM
Ditto to what Budgy said.  Those Overstock mattresses are not latex mattresses.  They are a couple inches of latex on top of a much bigger PU foam base.

Randy, I did not buy a Tempurpedic, but I spent extensive time testing them out (I would go around to different dealers and lie on them for a good 1/2 hour at a time.  On the Tempurpedic front, I tried several, but nothing more expensive than the Rhapsody, which was my favorite.  I didn't buy the Tempurpedic, because at the time my hip pain was so bad, I just hurt all over, and the Rhapsody was just too much more expensive than the latex bed.  The Deluxe felt great, but I had a suspicion it would turn out to be too soft.

I also tried several different latex beds in person:

Sweda (made by Lady Americana) - Talalay if I remember correctly.  The Sweda was a comfortable bed, it relieved my pressure points yet felt supportive.  I didn't buy it because I just couldn't find out enough information about what was inside the mattress.  I wasn't positive it was 100% latex and I couldn't find any customer reviews of it.  But I did very much like the feel of it.

Custom Comfort - Talalay.  www.customcomfort.com.  This is a local company in Orange County, California.  They do make an outstanding product and I originally bought their latex bed.  However, they do not have a return policy (having said that, they ultimately took mine back).  The drawback to Custom Comfort is that they do not come in a zippered cover, to change the firmness you have to send the mattress back - and there's only a 30 day comfort guarantee, which is not long enough.

OrganiPedic, made by OMI - which is the only manufacturing facility in the country that is 100% organic. http://www.organicpedicbyomi.com/  If you want to see why I didn't buy from this company, just look at the prices. 

Land and Sky - Dunlop  http://www.landandsky.com/products/organic.asp

I also tried a latex mattress manufactured by a local mattress company, Escondido Mattress, about 1/2 hour from where I live.  It was Dunlop.

Each of these beds had a slightly different feel.  I can tell you I did not like the two Dunlop mattresses at all.  To me they felt lifeless, I might as well have been sleeping on a board.  I did not feel that I would get the kind of pressure relief I needed for my aching hips and back.  Although some people like and prefer Dunlop, to my taste they were inferior to Talalay processed latex.

To some extent these beds felt different because they were made of different ILD latex.  Some of them had more of that "bouncy" feel more than others.   The OrganiPedic was not "bouncy."  The Custom Comfort was the "bounciest."  The Sweda was not bouncy, but it did feel resilient and supportive.

Ultimately I bought from Flobeds because, from trying out all these other latex mattresses, I decided I wanted the latex, but none of the individual mattresses I tried was exactly what I wanted.  I felt with the Flobed I would have ample opportunity to customize the feel of the bed.

My Flobed is quite firm, the three layers are all xfirm on my side, and on my husband's side F/XF/XF.  However it is also resilient and offers excellent pressure relief.  Since I got the bed, the aching in my hips is 99% gone. The bed conforms to my body, and springs back when I get up.  It does not feel bouncy.

I don't know if this helps, but I hope it does.  I guess the bottom line is that all of these beds had a characteristic latex feel, but due to differing ILDs or manufacturing methods, they all felt a little different when I tried them.
This message was modified Jan 26, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #6 Jan 26, 2010 4:12 PM
Wait a minute, are you sure you put in latex on the Overstock site? Sure, I saw combos but this mattress I have here is no 50/50 anything but latex. Art this point I've seen enough latex to know. Then again you far more expert than I. I have both the Costco latex mattress as well as the Overstock and they look, smell and feel exactly the same.
Reply #7 Jan 26, 2010 5:49 PM
There is no 100% latex mattress on the Overstock website that I could see.  If you are talking about the ECO latex mattress, the description is:

ECO latex full mattress is made from 2-inches of natural latex on 6-inches of high density foam for a comfortable and restful nights sleep.

If this is not the mattress you're referring to, perhaps you could provide a link?  Then we can all look at it.
This message was modified Jan 26, 2010 by KimberlyH
Reply #8 Jan 26, 2010 5:56 PM
They have 1 1/2  and 2 inch latex toppers only.  The mattresses are like you said, latex over regular foam, like a Tempurpedic does.  Unless I am missing it too ;-)

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/E.C.O.-2-inch-Luxury-Latex-King-Mattress-Topper/3960074/product.html
This message was modified Jan 26, 2010 by Leo3

Recent Posts