Queen or King?
Jan 15, 2012 2:32 PM
My husband and I have slept on a queen mattress forever.   We're planning on getting a latex mattress, and I'm thinking that this is the time to upgrade to a king size bed, if we're ever going to.  (we're in our 50's and 60's)   OTOH, I'm wondering if it's best to stay with a queen.   Our bedroom can manage the king, albeit a bit tight.   I don't always feel like I have enough room in the queen, but sometimes when we've slept on a king when traveling, it almost feels like too much room.   We will have to get a new bed frame if we go with the king, and new sheets, etc. of course.   

Thoughts or suggestions?  

I think the Cal king might be too long for our room.

Thanx,

Iris

Re: Queen or King?
Reply #3 Jan 16, 2012 1:32 PM
We are thinking aloing these same lines - as we have gotten older we sleep very differently - although I wouldn't exactly say we have plenty of room, a King would fit 'a bit tight' as well.   I start thinking about how nice it would be to not have to worry about who's hogging the middle or who's doing the nightly 'fish on the beach' (flip and turn routine), but at the same time when we travel there seems to be a lot of wasted real estate under the covers. 

Two things in particular concern me on switching to a King: 

1) all new sheets, toppers, covers, and bedframe/headboard means lots and lots of $$$...   but of course then I think about how precious sleep is and how this fellow on the other side of the bed has long limbs in need of stretching.   

2) I would absolutely loose my cool if there were a ridge/hump/hard place running down the middle of the bed, after thirty five years we still enjoy meeting in the middle - but I think I'd rather go wandering across the tundra to find him rather than be cramped on 1/3 of a Queen size and I'm not very big

My thinking at this point is we are going to somehow try to fake our way with bedside space to determine if we can tolerate the additional bed surface and loss of floorspace.  Stacking a box or two against the wall to effectively restrict floorspace to the size it would be, how close to the wall can I tolerate if we add another eighteen inches of bed? 

Recent Posts