Quality Latex over Innersprings - Do None of the S brand Mfrs Make One?
Jul 9, 2011 11:08 AM
With all this talk of mattress surgery here, I'm starting to think that not one S brand manufacturer (Sealy, Simmons, etc...) makes a ready made quality innerspring mattress with decent quality latex over top.

Am I correct?

Heck, I could search out Ikea and find a couple of mattresses that have latex over individual coils.  Trouble is I only have room for a twin and it must be an XL.  Ikea has no XL.

I would think a range of quality latex over a good set of individual coils would make an awesome bed.  Is there some sort of conspiracy by the S brand mfrs (perhaps they know a bed like this might last a long time), or another reason they seemingly don't make such a thing?

This message was modified Jul 9, 2011 by slpngoc
Re: Quality Latex over Innersprings - Do None of the S brand Mfrs Make One?
Reply #1 Jul 9, 2011 2:05 PM
I could make a guess why such a simple and effective design is not manufactured, as far as I know, by the S companies. I suspect it is because it would eliminate the mystique that these manufacturers use to jack up their prices. Things like labeling them with mysterious names like "smart foam" and changing the model name between stores and between seasons keeps us from finding out what they are really made of, and being able to compare apples to apples, and to figure out what is really the best value. Heck, if someone were willing to sell a set of decent innersprings, and then a person could buy toppers to fit their own preferences, it would probably put these big name companies out of business, making their hype and mysterious hidden secrets lose their mass appeal, along with the megabucks that go with them.

Just my two cents' worth, based on pure speculation and instant gut reaction, like they want from us when we go mattress shopping.

Reply #2 Jul 9, 2011 2:41 PM
I just got a flyer in the mail from a local furniture store (The Brick) advertising "Trump Home Luxury" beds. It claims layers of antibacterial fibre, latex foam,memory foam (none say how thick they are) and covered in silk. Individually wrapped pocket coils.
Reply #3 Jul 9, 2011 2:58 PM
DoreenA wrote:

I just got a flyer in the mail from a local furniture store (The Brick) advertising "Trump Home Luxury" beds. It claims layers of antibacterial fibre, latex foam,memory foam (none say how thick they are) and covered in silk. Individually wrapped pocket coils.

I'll bet (cynical me) the "antibacterial fiber" is just some average (cheap) artificial fiber, which as we know, bacteria can't feed on....But of course, adding "Trump" to the label makes it autmatically luxurious and top-of-the line. Wonder if they paid him for the use of his name?

Reply #5 Jul 9, 2011 3:33 PM
Holy cow!  How tall is that thing!  I'm sure the fact that it is a "signature collection" (is that a tredemark?) adds to the price.  It says it has a 20 year limited warranty.  I wonder what the real usable life of this mattress is.
Reply #6 Jul 9, 2011 5:01 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

Holy cow!  How tall is that thing!  I'm sure the fact that it is a "signature collection" (is that a tredemark?) adds to the price.  It says it has a 20 year limited warranty.  I wonder what the real usable life of this mattress is.

I don't know how tall it is, but it looks like it's got the usual kinds of problems.

http://www.mattress-wiz.com/serta-trump-mattress-reviews-donald-trump-seven-springs-king-west-side-queen.html

Looks great though, doesn't it? Is that a separate removable topper it has?

Reply #7 Jul 9, 2011 5:20 PM
weewillywinky wrote:

I could make a guess why such a simple and effective design is not manufactured, as far as I know, by the S companies. I suspect it is because it would eliminate the mystique that these manufacturers use to jack up their prices. Things like labeling them with mysterious names like "smart foam" and changing the model name between stores and between seasons keeps us from finding out what they are really made of, and being able to compare apples to apples, and to figure out what is really the best value. Heck, if someone were willing to sell a set of decent innersprings, and then a person could buy toppers to fit their own preferences, it would probably put these big name companies out of business, making their hype and mysterious hidden secrets lose their mass appeal, along with the megabucks that go with them.

Just my two cents' worth, based on pure speculation and instant gut reaction, like they want from us when we go mattress shopping.

We have a local mfr. about 2 miles from my house -  http://www.selectsleepmattress.com/home.html

It's a smaller place with a couple salespeople and 4 or 5 in the mfr. area in back.   He makes coil and individual coil mattresses only with velcro at the corners, then you select a topper that has a cover with matching velcro.  Put them together and you have a mattress.

His coil mattresses are not high end though.  We have 2 in the house.  It's pretty much a Bonnel coil with 390 coils in a Queen.  He makes a 'pocket coil' mattress, but I doubt know the specs on it.

This place is no organic mattress maker as the prices are pretty low. i.e. regular coil mattress with PU medium foam topper, foundation is a little over $700 w/ tax.  Not fancy stuff.  His web page says his latex is 100% natural stuff.   

This message was modified Jul 9, 2011 by slpngoc
Reply #8 Jul 9, 2011 5:22 PM
DoreenA wrote:

That should be a Serta bed, Trump collection with all the marketing fluff.

Reply #9 Jul 9, 2011 5:30 PM
So I went to Sears asking if they have any quality innerspring beds with high quality all latex in the upholstery.  He quickly shows me a Stearns and Foster pillowtop which has a layer of latex and, of course, the 'Variable Response Technology' polyurethane foam (they have to include something that breaks down).  Geez, that mattress is about 15" high.

Here's a theory - The mfrs know that good coil springs last.  They know that good memory foam lasts a long time as does latex.  They don't want mattresses to last too long.  So, they put in PU foam to make sure something breaks down prematurely.

Or, if they do have a big slab of memory foam or latex foam near the top - it is sitting on a slab of polyurethane foam (i.e. Serta iComfort, likely most tempurpedics).  Hmmm, I wonder how the PU bases hold up.

Ah well, at least there are natural mattress stores and such.

Reply #10 Jul 9, 2011 6:02 PM
weewillywinky wrote:

Looks great though, doesn't it? Is that a separate removable topper it has?

"great" is not the word I was thinking of.  It looks retarded to me!  I really like the lower profile of my new platform bed and Savvy Rest mattress.  I've had it a week and I'll be posting a review soon.  Perhaps you are supposed to think that you are getting a lot of mattress for your money?  The online reviews I found were all pretty negative.

Recent Posts