Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
May 9, 2011 12:38 PM
I am at a loss. Our brand new mattress that we have had since April 22 is exhibiting a damp, moisture problem on the underside of the memory foam mattress and the top of support. Not only that but there are two small rust-like or maybe mildew like stains on both the underside of the mattress and the top of the support. I called Sealy and they could not help me saying they had never heard of this problem. I called the place of purchase and he said he had never heard of this problem either and that we should try airing the mattress out near a window (we are in an apartment). I have no idea why there is moisture condensation under the mattress if the first place. What good will it do to air it out, if it happens again? Has anyone had this problem, or know of what to do? Thank you for your time.
Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
Reply #11 Jun 5, 2011 2:35 PM
A bit more about mold....

Mold spores are everywhere. They are microscopic and virtually deathless. They can survive in spore form for many years until they land on a suitable surface and sprout.

They are part of life on this planet, and their job is to digest matter and return it to the biosphere.

But when I say organic - it's very broad. It includes virtually anthing with any kind of carbon in it - which is just about everything there is, including drywall, concrete, paint - virtually anything. But they really like organic materials which I gather are tastier and easier to digest.

The conditions they thrive in are: dark and moist.

So anytime you have anything that sits in a moist and dark condition, mold is likely to grow.

The proliferation of mold in residential settings is a huge problem, particularly given modern building materials and building methods, which tend to trap moisture indoors. Once it is detected, it cannot really be removed without stripping out the affected materials, and that gets expensive in a hurry.

That's why most homeowner's policies now include a mold exclusion, and if the policy was issued prior to the mold exclusion, the insurers run screaming from the room.

Ed McMahon had a $5 million mold claim on one of his McMansions a few years ago and won it. He argued that the mold made him sick and even killed his dog.

No one is immune from mold. All we can do is try to keep things dry and let the sunshine on them now and then. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put your mattress and platform in the sun and try to make sire they are thoroughly dry through and through.

Re: Problems with new Sealy Memory Foam Mattress and moisture condensation underneath
Reply #12 Jun 5, 2011 2:58 PM
johnohio wrote:

just moved my sealy memory foam ... exactly same issue as what was described by OP.  Mattress is 11 months old, but only been slept on first 6 months.  Mold is spotty, only between bottom of mattress and top of box spring.  There has to be a cause for this, nothing else in the room, apartment, etc. is exhibiting this problem.

any help in cleaning/removing the mold would be appreciated.

thanks.

Just wondering - were you using a mattress protector?  I just bought a memory foam bed, and want to do whatever I can to prevent this.

Reply #13 Jun 5, 2011 5:35 PM
I forked out $200 for a wool moisture barrier for my new latex mattress.  From what I've read, wool repels moisture.  I sometimes wake up at night sweating, so I hope the wool will help with heat transfer as well as moisture.  Heat is more of an issue with memory foam than latex foam because you sink into memory foam.
Reply #14 Jun 5, 2011 6:21 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

I forked out $200 for a wool moisture barrier for my new latex mattress.  From what I've read, wool repels moisture.  I sometimes wake up at night sweating, so I hope the wool will help with heat transfer as well as moisture.  Heat is more of an issue with memory foam than latex foam because you sink into memory foam.

Slight correction - Wool actually absorbs moisture but it doesn't get "wet" as quickly. In fact, it can hold up to 30% of its weight in moisture. The way it works on a mattress cover is it wicks up the moisture and holds it so it can evaporate from the loft of those fibers instead of seeping through into the underlying material. That's part of the beauty of wool. It is more resilient than, say cotton, which absorbs a lot, but loses its resiliency, and lets the rest of the moisture pass on right through. Cotton tends to pack down more than wool fibers do when it gets wet. But both natural fibers are breathable and allow air into them so evaporation can take place. The thing about synthetics is that they don't "breathe" so if moisture gets into them, it runs right through, if it's porous, or runs off if it's not. If moisture gets trapped inside a synthetic casing or barrier, there is no escape. That's why air mattresses also have a problem with mold growing inside. In something dense like latex, there is no opportunity for airflow to get in there and assist with evaporation. If it's a memory foam or sleeps "hot", then naturally there will be more moisture from perspriration being absorbed into the open cells of the foam that make it "give." So that is why it's a very good idea to have a breathable layer on top  that can absorb moisture before it gets into the foam. The natural action of air flow through moisture in wool can provide a cooling effect on the skin through evaporation. Natural fiber sheets help, but they're usually too thin to do much in the way of moisture absorbtion and evaporation.

Reply #15 Jul 1, 2011 7:21 PM
Chelleu,

the same thing happened to my memory foam mattress. We called Macy's and they sent an inspector out to my house.  After the inspection a representaive at macy's called me and told me that this is a know issue and they offered to replace the mattress at no extra cost. She told me that sometimes the manufacturer ships the matrress to the warehouse. sometimes moisture gets soaked up in the warehouse after they unpack these.

Reply #16 Jul 4, 2011 1:36 AM
chelleu wrote:

I am at a loss. Our brand new mattress that we have had since April 22 is exhibiting a damp, moisture problem on the underside of the memory foam mattress and the top of support. Not only that but there are two small rust-like or maybe mildew like stains on both the underside of the mattress and the top of the support. I called Sealy and they could not help me saying they had never heard of this problem. I called the place of purchase and he said he had never heard of this problem either and that we should try airing the mattress out near a window (we are in an apartment). I have no idea why there is moisture condensation under the mattress if the first place. What good will it do to air it out, if it happens again? Has anyone had this problem, or know of what to do? Thank you for your time.

What to do?  Warranty issue obviously.  Have them pick it up and replace it.  No one should get stuck with a new moldy mattress.

Reply #17 Oct 13, 2011 2:38 PM
Hi, My husband & I purchased a new MemoryWorks foam matress made by Sealy in January 2011 at Macy's, we just dicovered mold growing all over the underside of the matress & all over on the top part of the box spring.  I also found mold growing all over the bedskirt where it touched the bed & boxspring.  I originally discovered the mold when I was moving the bed, because first off our new boxspring broke in half.  We contacted Macy's where we purchased the bed & boxspring & they are giving us a full refund, also, a small credit for new bedding.  I am still waiting for the delivery company to come remove the moldy bed which is now in our garage.  I just discovered from Macy's who we purchased the bed from, that the bed is manufactured in China & there was a bad batch of matresses.  You should be reimbursed for your bed, I would take it up again with Sealy or the company you're dealing with, they are fully aware of this matter.  

Has anyone heard of a class action lawsuit going on with this?  There should be if not.  Everyone who purchased the MemoryWorks matress by Sealy need to know they are sleeping on a moldy bed!!  There are so many health problems that stem from mold exposure.  Now I feel like we need to clean our bedroom fully, shampoo & disinfect the whole room, maybe get new carpet & throw away all our bedding.  It's going to cost us more than the bed itself.  We bought the bed on sale, now to get a new bed will cost us more than we originally paid.  I'm so frustrated. We are not giving up in this, & I hope you don't either.  

Reply #18 Oct 13, 2011 4:49 PM
metoo wrote:

MattressDan:  The "box spring" is the foundation Sealy sells with this memory foam mattress.  It, therefore, I would assume be compatible with the mattress; obviously, however, it is not.  In fact,  the label attached to the mattress indicates to either use no foundation or only the foundation sold with the mattress, else warranty is void.  As far as warming up the room, it sounds like a good idea, but this memory foam mattress already makes us feel like we're in an incubator.  I couldn't imagine the room being any warmer.  I really think the answer is with the foundation.  Sealy needs to make a product that will allow this mattress to breath.  If only, they would acknowledge the problem.

Actually the warranty says it needs to be used with a supporting foundation or the warranty is void. You can use any other foundation just fine as long as it is supportive.

Reply #19 Oct 29, 2011 5:58 AM
Cyndihall wrote:

Hi, My husband & I purchased a new MemoryWorks foam matress made by Sealy in January 2011 at Macy's, we just dicovered mold growing all over the underside of the matress & all over on the top part of the box spring.  I also found mold growing all over the bedskirt where it touched the bed & boxspring.  I originally discovered the mold when I was moving the bed, because first off our new boxspring broke in half.  We contacted Macy's where we purchased the bed & boxspring & they are giving us a full refund, also, a small credit for new bedding.  I am still waiting for the delivery company to come remove the moldy bed which is now in our garage.  I just discovered from Macy's who we purchased the bed from, that the bed is manufactured in China & there was a bad batch of matresses.  You should be reimbursed for your bed, I would take it up again with Sealy or the company you're dealing with, they are fully aware of this matter.  

Has anyone heard of a class action lawsuit going on with this?  There should be if not.  Everyone who purchased the MemoryWorks matress by Sealy need to know they are sleeping on a moldy bed!!  There are so many health problems that stem from mold exposure.  Now I feel like we need to clean our bedroom fully, shampoo & disinfect the whole room, maybe get new carpet & throw away all our bedding.  It's going to cost us more than the bed itself.  We bought the bed on sale, now to get a new bed will cost us more than we originally paid.  I'm so frustrated. We are not giving up in this, & I hope you don't either.  

HI Cyndihall,

My husband and I also bought a memory works matress form macy's in may of this year. I noticed in August that there were some ants crawling on my bed skirt and when I lifted my bed up there was mold on the matress, box spring and my new bed skirt. We also ordered the "Worry No More" warranty plan from them so I knew that nothing could have spilled and soaked threw the matress. I called Macy's and the sent us out a new bed and gave us a gift card to buy new bedding. Our new bed came and we put our new bedding on it and last week I checkud under the mattress just to make sre no mold was growing again, and sure enough, MOLD was forming again. In the same spot as the last time. My husband and I are so confused as to why this is happening. I was so relieved when I read your comment and realized we are not the only ones. I am going to call Macy's this week and demand my money back, I don't want another bed from them if it's just gonna turn moldy in 2 months. I have Asthma and so do my kids and this is a horrible thing to have in the house. I am so irritated to have to go through this again. Also, when I called Macy's the first time to tell them about the mold the representative told me she had never heard of this problem before. Thank you for sharing... Best of luck to you and your new matress.. 

Reply #20 Nov 1, 2011 11:38 AM
EW!  That is just horribly nasty...imagine if this many people who are on this site all had the same issue, how many people in the world also are affected?  That's HUGE!  You need to contact Sealy directly, obviously the store person has no knowledge of warranties or issues, and make a big stink.  They NEED to warranty your mattress, NOW!  People don't have money to burn these days, and you should not have to buy another mattress because they sold you a faulty one.  Remember, mattress companies sometimes/often try to make things YOUR fault so they don't have to pay(I know this from my S & F warranty issues...what a crappy bed), so don't let this happen.  You can tell them if they are stinkers about this that you have been in contact with others with this same problem, so you are not alone. 

Good luck!

Kait

Recent Posts