Platform that is as stable as the floor?
Jun 8, 2010 10:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I've posted a bit about how i can't share a mattress with my partner anymore, because I'm insanely sensitive to motion and any little bit--ANY at all!--awakens me. I know the alternative is to have two beds next to one another (OR he can sleep in another room, which he's currently doing!), but...Wondering if there are any platform beds that are as stable as the floor--NO motion at all, no flex, etc. We have a great bed right now, but it flexes, which is nice if i weren't neurotic. I thought maybe i could put two mattresses on one platform, but ONLY if it doesn't wiggle a millimeter! 

Is it physically possible to have a platform this stable? I'd rather not put the mattresses on the floor, and i'd rather not have two separate platforms/beds. Any advice welcome. :)

Re: Platform that is as stable as the floor?
Reply #1 Jun 8, 2010 11:31 PM
electracat wrote:

Is it physically possible to have a platform this stable? I'd rather not put the mattresses on the floor, and i'd rather not have two separate platforms/beds. Any advice welcome. :)

I absolutely believe it is physically possible. The trick is finding a platform that actually achieves this possibility. Unfortunately I can't point you to anything specific, but I would think that some of the more expensive, solidly built platforms would be rock stable.

For my DIY mattress project, I'm going with a cheap Wal-Mart platform with no aesthetics and uncertain effectiveness (we just can't afford an expensive platform bed with headboard / footboard right now). Considering the price and the design, I absolutely do not expect it to be motionless!

Hopefully someone can point you toward something that is solid.

Reply #2 Jun 8, 2010 11:54 PM
I don't think you can totally eliminate motion transfer, no matter how stable the platform, if you are sharing the bedding: mattress pad, sheets.  If you had two twin XL's, that were dressed separately, sitting on a stable platform, then that would work.  But really, that is no different than having separate beds side by side, is it.  Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I share your sensitivity to motion so I know first hand how even the shared bedding can be disruptive.
Reply #3 Jun 9, 2010 12:53 AM
Thanks for the advice; I would actually have separate bedding/mattresses side by side on the platform. I'm not sure why this seems preferable to two separate platforms, but it does. I guess the only thing is, how do i know the platform is motionless until i buy it! Unless i can get my boyfriend to *build* one...Hmmm...
Reply #4 Jun 9, 2010 2:04 PM
Well, speaking from a strength of materials standpoint, it is physically impossible to put a load on any structure and not have it deflect.

The deflection may be negligible, but it will still move...wink

Reply #5 Jun 9, 2010 2:18 PM
electracat wrote:

Thanks for the advice; I would actually have separate bedding/mattresses side by side on the platform. I'm not sure why this seems preferable to two separate platforms, but it does. I guess the only thing is, how do i know the platform is motionless until i buy it! Unless i can get my boyfriend to *build* one...Hmmm...

I think that is your best option...to have your boyfriend build one for you.  Build it like you would a wood deck.  2x8 or 2x10 untreated lumber 16 inches on center, with plywood over the top.

Reply #6 Jun 9, 2010 7:12 PM
I, too, think building one would be a good option. This way it could be reinforced, or "overbuilt", to minimize any movement.
Reply #7 Jun 10, 2010 12:26 AM
Thank you! We'll see how it goes..

Recent Posts