"Pillowtop-ectomy" advice for a newbie?
May 24, 2012 4:47 PM
Hi everyone - I found this forum several weeks ago after I could no longer ignore the nightly beating my current mattress was giving me. WOW - you all are such a great resource, I only wish I had found this forum two years ago prior to my mattress purchase. Well, I've been making up for lost time and devouring threads on here for the last few weeks, exploring webpages for retail stores and online sources, and I think I'm finally ready to ask a few questions.

Background: very unfortunately for us, two years ago we paid about $1600 for a Serta Vera Wang "Toast" Eurotop "with latex" (queen). Body impressions were noticeable after a year or so but they have gotten progressively worse over the past year, with an uncomfortabely ridge in the middle. (Of course they're only an inch, and the warranty is 1.5", but I'm sure the mattress has a spot or two that voids the warranty anyway). My husband and are both back and side sleepers, average height/weight (I'm 5'4 and 130lb, he's 5'7 and 145lb). We didn't have any major pain until the mattress developed these divots.

Thanks to the many helpful pictorials and explanations on here, sliced into the quilted portion of the pillowtop to inspect. Wow - crappy. And only a half inch of "latex"?! The quilt is about an inch, then the rest of the pillow top section is two 1" pieces of PU foam, then there's about a 4-6" thich piece of foam above the springs. The official list of components is here: http://www.americasmattressoc.com/Plush-Vera-Wang-Vera-Toast-Euro-Top-Mattress-p/vwi042746al.htm

Rather than start from scratch, we'd like to try to find an inexpensive solution (ideally under $600) we can live with for a year or two until we're ready to spring for the perfect mattress setup. One picture so far, below.

Here are my questions:

If we remove just the pillowtop portion (about 3-4"), would a 2" medium firmness piece of Latex International talalay latex be a sufficient replacement? (ILD appx. 26 I think). This would be placed over the 4-6" of foam on top of the springs. Would this crappy lower foam still tend to develop divots with the latex on top?

If we removed both the pillowtop AND the thick PU foam separating the springs from the pillowtop, what would be a recommended replacement? Maybe 1" firm, 2" medium and 1" soft? (I'm not fluent in ILDs yet...)

I'm in SoCal and plan to tour OC this weekend to test out latex toppers and mattresses (I also want to see what good quality innerspring mattresses are like, i.e. Vi-Spring and probably Custom Comfort). Am I missing anything on my itinerary?

Foam Sweet Foam
Ergo Comfort
Custom Comfort
Maybe Modern Furnishings in Laguna Beach (to check out their Vi-Springs to see if they're worth saving for and to compare with the latex solution. And by "saving for" I'm envisioning the entry-level Elite or maaaaybe the Coronet models - in the $3-$4k range and that is it. Prefer not to have to go there though...)

Thanks in advance for any help - and sorry this is so long.

Re: "Pillowtop-ectomy" advice for a newbie?
Reply #6 Jun 1, 2012 4:44 PM
OK, I'm just going to continue posting in case my experience helps someone else. Foam Sweet Foam happened to have a 2" piece of N3/medium natural Talalay in Queen size (normally they only sell 3" thickness, so this was a fluke and of course a final sale). But we figured it would be an inexpensive way to start experimenting with DIY latex. 

So we cut off the pillowtop, which consisted of an inch of convoluted PU foam, 1/2 inch of "latex" and 1/2 inch of more PU foam. 

That left two 1" pieces of foam which were directly over the springs of the mattress. 

So we left these two crappy PU pieces on, put an old sheet on top to separate the latex from the PU foam, and put the 2" N3 Talalay on over that - how AMAZING to have a FLAT, lump-free mattress again! 

We don't have a case yet - we'll get one once we determine our final configuration. However, I did splurge for a new mattress pad, also from FSF, here: http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/queen-natural-mattress-pad-4.html. So I put the new mattress pad on directly over the latex, and then new sheets. 

The latex feels wonderful, but as I supsected I need a softer topper. So I ordered two 1" pieces of Queen size "scraps" from Sleep Like a Bear (Evelyn was really helpful in explaining the history of the two pieces - they were comfort returns, only used one night, and priced really well). So next week I will have a 1" N1 Talalay and a 1" N2 Talalay to go over the N3 here. We may remove one or both pieces of the PU foam underneath too. 

I will report back - I appreciate this forum being such a great resource and giving me the courage and inspiration to remedy my failing Serta mattress. 

Recent Posts