Overwhelmed side sleeper in need of relief and latex mattress help!
May 11, 2012 5:19 PM
I had been given this site along with SleepEZ, FloBeds and SleepLikeaBear as recommendations to purchase a new latex mattress.

I am a side sleeper that suffers from upper (shoulder neck) pain but more lower back pain from our current crappy old as heck spring mattress w/memory foam topper. 

My boyfriend says he is just fine on our mattress and is leaving it up to me (he's a snorer, side or back sleeper and about 200 lbs where i'm about 140), and if we are going to spend this much money i want to get him the appropriate ILD as well.

Flobeds says i should have M/M or M/F and him F/XF but i've also heard their ILD is off from SleepEZ and that i should go F/F for me and XF/XF for him? Does this sound about right? (or correct me b/c i'm getting more overwhelmed the more i read)

BUT since i'm a side sleeper i've started to read about this zoning and now am even more confused. is a 6" core good to start and then add toppers as needed? or should i really consider a topper to start as well?

Re: Overwhelmed side sleeper in need of relief and latex mattress help!
Reply #22 Jul 7, 2012 4:45 PM

I, personally, have a latex mattress (2in topper soft and 6in core firm) that I bought from foambymail(dot)com that is certified to be safe by eco-INSTITUT, I have only had it a week so I cannot recommend it 100% but I did A LOT of research before I bought it. If I was going to buy a memory foam mattress I would buy it from bedinabox(dot)com as they are CertiPUR-US® certified.

If you are going to buy memory foam only buy one that is CertiPUR-US® or Oeko-Tex® certified. Why? because when you buy a CertiPUR-US® memory foam mattress you can know, for example, that it is free of or is below harmful levels of toxic poisons and cancer causing ingredients like:

Low emission (low VOCS)

BPA-free

Phthalates-free

Made without ozone depleters

PBDE-free

Mercury, Lead and heavy metal free

Made without formaldehyde

BHT-free

Protection for you investment:

Whether you get a latex mattress or a memory foam mattress make sure you get a really good mattress protector because latex and memory foam will break down quicker from sweat, urine, dirt, spills etc. Protect-a-bed makes good mattress protectors but they can be pricey for some people so shop around online.

Do a web search on CertiPUR-US®, Oeko-Tex®, & eco-INSTITUT for more information about their certifications.

Considering a spring mattress? Forget it! Almost all of them are made to FAIL. They are one sided so you cannot flip them to get more life out of them. Some say they put some special foam boarder around the bed so you can have more support when you sit on the edge of the bed BUT it is really to give you less springs which makes it less expensive for them to make the bed. If you sit on the edge of you bed too much and/or for to long it will FAIL. Even if they put some latex, High Resiliency foam a.k.a. HR foam, High Density foam a.k.a. HD Foam, or Memory foam a.k.a. visco-elastic polyurethane foam in the bed it is almost ALWAYS buried deep down in the mattress so they can sell you on it and with a higher price. Then they put JUNK polyurethane foam on top of it (that is why people do “mattress surgery” and cut their mattresses open and pull out all the junk foam and replace it with a latex or memory foam topper). Those polyurethane junk foam top layers will start to break down on day 1 and if you can stand it the mattress will only last you 4 years at best even though it has a 10 year warranty. During those 4 years the mattress will (pick your word) dip, crater, canoe, hammock. Your back will hurt and you will have wasted your money.

*Please note that there are some “brand” name mattress companies out there that sell latex and memory foam mattresses that ARE NOT 100% top to bottom end to end latex or memory foam. What they do is put an inch or 2 of latex or memory foam on top of a block/foundation of some “other” type of foam and call it a latex or memory foam mattress. This still may be better then having the latex or memory foam buried in the bed above the springs BUT when the block/foundation of that “other” type of foam under the latex/memory foam collapses you will need a new mattress. The only exception (there maybe others) is bedinabox which states that their, “mattresses use only HR support [base] foam with a rating of 24/32. That means a 2.4 lb density with a 32 IFD.” This appears to be the good quality foam base with high enough specs to work as a base support system to work under their memory foam.

Look for a company that is: Safe, Secure, & Accredited

1. They are Norton and/or McAfee secured to protect your information from hackers (click on their icons to verify their authenticity)

2. They have encrypted buying/purchasing like VeriSign (click on their icon to verify their authenticity)

3. Better Business Bureau Accredited OR some other internet company rating program (NOT ALWAYS A MUST)

If the company you want to buy from does not have at least points 1 and 2 above MOVE on and find another company online!

Reply #23 Jul 13, 2012 9:56 AM
OMG.. I cannot believe this site and how many people continue to try to invent their own mattresses to find comfort.. Perhaps your old coil mattress is crappy becaue it is old or it wasn't a good one to begin with.. I have had both latex and memory everything and have come to the conclusion you need a really good coil support with a really good covering and a med. firm bed for a good nights sleep.. forget all these toppers and trying to be a mathmetician to figure out what density you need for this or that..it is all hype to make you spend more dollars.  I would like to just save one person from making a huge money pit of mistakes for the mattress they think they will construct.  The only way you can find the perfect mattress is to do serious shopping and not looking at high end for the end result.. You would be surprised at some of the mattresses that I overlooked because they weren't the big S brands or the Tempurpedics of the industry.  If you are a side sleeper and get some of these foam beds that aren't firm enough you will end up with serious hip pain and then it will hit your back..Been there done that.. I am in a firm coil with a beautiful topping that isn't a foot thick either and I am finally getting sleep and this mattress was 1000.. compared to the thousands I have paid in the last 4 years.. Be diligent in shopping as everywhere will want to sell you so many crazy ideas of what you should be sleeping in.. go back to the basics.. and you will see I am right..this site promotes so many versions of bed making I actually get laughs out of it every day..Ridiculous.. good luck but be a smart shopper..!!!
Reply #24 Jul 13, 2012 10:55 AM
Glenbury wrote:

OMG.. I cannot believe this site and how many people continue to try to invent their own mattresses to find comfort.. Perhaps your old coil mattress is crappy becaue it is old or it wasn't a good one to begin with.. I have had both latex and memory everything and have come to the conclusion you need a really good coil support with a really good covering and a med. firm bed for a good nights sleep.. forget all these toppers and trying to be a mathmetician to figure out what density you need for this or that..it is all hype to make you spend more dollars.  I would like to just save one person from making a huge money pit of mistakes for the mattress they think they will construct.  The only way you can find the perfect mattress is to do serious shopping and not looking at high end for the end result.. You would be surprised at some of the mattresses that I overlooked because they weren't the big S brands or the Tempurpedics of the industry.  If you are a side sleeper and get some of these foam beds that aren't firm enough you will end up with serious hip pain and then it will hit your back..Been there done that.. I am in a firm coil with a beautiful topping that isn't a foot thick either and I am finally getting sleep and this mattress was 1000.. compared to the thousands I have paid in the last 4 years.. Be diligent in shopping as everywhere will want to sell you so many crazy ideas of what you should be sleeping in.. go back to the basics.. and you will see I am right..this site promotes so many versions of bed making I actually get laughs out of it every day..Ridiculous.. good luck but be a smart shopper..!!!

How long have you been sleeping on your new mattress?

GK

Reply #25 Jul 13, 2012 8:55 PM
GK.. been on the new mattress for 5 weeks now.. believe me I have had several mattresses of the highest quality and in 2 weeks I knew whether they would be a keeper or not..I don't mind replacing a mattress if I can get a few years out of it.. but at 3000 a crack with some of these so called best of the best.. I have found it to be just another way for the consumer to be taken..this site gives me entertainment at how foolish consumers actually are.. and I am one of them.. all caught up in how we can make our beds give us a good nights sleep..!   This mattress industry should come under some gov't control to protect us better with our purchases.. the companies themselves boast all their warranties etc. but you are at the mercy of some of the stores and their policies when you make your purchase, they have a different set of rules that void your dealings with the company you think you are purchasing from.. it's all about the store you purchase from.. been taken and it will never happen again..mad as HELL.. 
Reply #26 Jul 16, 2012 11:49 PM
Glenbury wrote:

GK.. been on the new mattress for 5 weeks now.. believe me I have had several mattresses of the highest quality and in 2 weeks I knew whether they would be a keeper or not..I don't mind replacing a mattress if I can get a few years out of it.. but at 3000 a crack with some of these so called best of the best.. I have found it to be just another way for the consumer to be taken..this site gives me entertainment at how foolish consumers actually are.. and I am one of them.. all caught up in how we can make our beds give us a good nights sleep..!   This mattress industry should come under some gov't control to protect us better with our purchases.. the companies themselves boast all their warranties etc. but you are at the mercy of some of the stores and their policies when you make your purchase, they have a different set of rules that void your dealings with the company you think you are purchasing from.. it's all about the store you purchase from.. been taken and it will never happen again..mad as HELL.. 

Hey Glen,

What mattress did you end up getting. Please post up what it is. Thanks!

Reply #27 Jul 17, 2012 10:52 AM
To Scott.. I accidentally stumbled into a mattress store off the beaten path one day..and he had all the usual suspects in his store but he also had a large line of Restonic's.. Now I had seen these prior to purchasing my first big $$'s mattress latex a few years ago and loved it, but got stirred away from it from ofcourse the salesperson.. and bought the latex.. it was good for 1 1/2 years.. and bowed across the middle  giving me horrible back issues..  Anyway along the line of some of the S brands I got taken to the cleaners with them as well and this last one.. 3000 later.. I-comfort Serta.. my biggest mistake.. and the store had nothing for me to exchange to unless alot less and still nothing I laid on was any good..so I ate it and put it in the guest room.. my 3000 guest room!!!!  makes me very mad.. so I continued to look and did lots of research and finally gave up until this day I went into this last store.. he had a beautiful line of Restonic's.. loved many of them but my red flag went up when I read some of the reviews.. but again went back to the store to give it their 60 trial.. I bought the firm one with a nice tuffted top that isn't so dense that you are sinking in..also the Restonic's happen to have this middle that is very supportive with extra coils of whatever..It has helped my hips and back which were my main concern.. it was 1000 with tax.. and I just wanted at this point to be able to sleep and want to go and get in my bed at night..so knock on wood I like my bed and whatever it becomes over the next few years I will deal with.. but this site I now frequent for entertainment for what people are looking for and the surgeries they are doing to beds just to get comfortable.. I do believe after having all sorts of beds that back to the basics is the only way.. coil good ones with a decent coverning.. and NO pillow top..everyone is different so this is just my story..
Reply #28 Aug 9, 2012 10:31 AM
I agree that a coil mattress might be the way to go.  We've been sleeping on a Simmons Beautyrest World Class Felicuty Plush for 12 years, and it has been a good mattress.  Now it's time to look for a new one, and I think I will look at the Restonic since it's less expensive than Simmons.  BTW, I am 140, 5' 3' ,have side thigh pain and am a side sleeper, so I need to keep this in mind when shopping. Hubby is 5'9". 165 lb.  Weight isn't really an issue for us.

Recent Posts