Original Mattress Factory buying experience
Apr 20, 2011 11:05 AM
I just bought an innerspring mattress for a pull down bed (Murphy) that we use for guests. It will only be lightly used so I didn't want to buy a high end mattress.. The bed build using the "create-a-bed" mechanism requires that the mattress be less than 12" tall.

At one time I had a latex mattress from foam-by-mail in the bed, but contrary to what someone at sleep like a bear told me, it did not work in a murphy bed because it would tend to slide and bunch when the bed was raised. I eventually cut that mattress down and moved it to one of my kid beds.

During online search I came across Original Mattress Factory which I was familiar with from advertising. They had a nice website and several locations around me. I wanted to take the mattress home with me so I called the nearest store. The guy was very friendly on the phone and absolutely not pushy. He said they had limited stock so he directed me to another store where I would be able to pick up the mattress. He also said I would save 2% in sales tax at that location. I called that store and again the guy was very friendly - he pointed out that there were other stores closer to me that would likely have the mattress in stock. He offered to call the stores and call me back.

The store I went to was in an industrial area and the building was showing it's age but It was well lit and clean inside. The salesman was helpful and attentive, but he seemed pretty new and couldn't really answer some of my more technical questions when it went off his standard sales pitch. He didn't really try to bluff the answers.

They make flippable mattresses, but the best part was they had cut away samples of all the mattresses so you could see exactly the construction inside. They also had sample cutaways of competitor products. It looked like the pillow top mattresses had layers of foam that would break down over time, but at least you could tell what to avoid and it would be easy to pick a mattress with minimal padding and plan to add your own latex topper if needed. Apparently they also sell a good latex mattress but I wasn't in the market for one of them.

Re: Original Mattress Factory buying experience
Reply #1 Apr 23, 2011 10:48 AM
Another thing that they do is build hinged mattresses in any size.  Hinged so that they fold and can fit through smaller spaces.  ALL of the king mattresses are hinged, and there is no extra charge to hinge any other size.  You can also get a split box spring in any size, for added cost.

For flammability reasons, they have restricted the amount and type of customizations they will do to specific models now.  As it was explained to me, each and every configuration has to be government-tested for flammability, and OMF has thus elected to standardize on certain configurations.   One feature that bit the dust as a result of this was the double row of foam cylinder edge supports that they used to offer.

There is no price haggling.  The price is the price.  No cash discount, either.  They only way to get it for less is buy the floor sample set whenever the store changes it.

( I just talked to them Tuesday, and was searching for a recent thread so I didn't have to start a brand new one, lol.  The only mattress set that I've really loved is their Orthopedic Ultra Firm.  I have always slept on very firm old-style innerspring mattress sets of the '50s through mid '80s, and can't stand the foamy new ones.  I also like the Imperial Bedding #640 but it costs $200 more than the OMF, which is really my favorite of the two.  Almost none of the mattress manufacturers build the same kind of product they used to, and they've cut back on the steel in them and increased the foam.  That OMF set is the closest I've found to the old sets I've used and loved.)

This message was modified Apr 23, 2011 by TC2334

Recent Posts