Offgassing and Mold???
Oct 8, 2013 1:20 PM
Reading through the threads in this forum, I have with no small amount of horror, read stories about people who have purchased beds with good faith, only to find that after some period of time, that MOLD has taken over their bedding, to the extent that it was negatively impacting (and rightfully so) the health of the person sleeping on the bed.  Assumptions below:

• I don't believe I have read anything from anyone who had a traditional innerspring mattress that developed a mold problem.  Yes it might be possible that given "high humidity" or storage problems, etc, that anything can develop mold, but I don't believe under normal wear and tear, that traditional innerspring mattresses create a problem
  • There have been a number of reports, both in this forum and others, where Sleep Number type of mattresses can develop mold.  This IMHO is the result of pumping humid air into a bladder and developing condensation and mold.  But for any reason, mold seems to be a problem, even if the vendor "makes it right".
  • Memory foam is purported to sleeping hot, and again, for whatever reason, seem to be a more accepting environment to mold.
  • 100% Natural Latex has not had reported mold problems.  Synthetic May or May NOT???

Questions:

• Are my assumptions above, for the most part true?
  • One older reply indicated that the "offgassing" of their foam mattress was unacceptable, to the point where "dryer sheets" had to be deployed to mask the odor.  Later the mattress developed mold.  I assume this was either memory foam or synthetic.  Am I overlooking the obvious that ALL foam is subject to molding and/or offgassing?  Many people realize offgassing as an acceptable problem.  If you survive through a limited period of time, it eventually works itself out, but inevitably, the view was worth the climb.
  • My wife would not be able to tolerate 1-6 mos of offgassing.  She is particularly susceptible to this type of odor and could drive us to a more traditional mattress.
  • Mold would be completely unacceptable to my wife.  The last thing she needs, given her infirmity, is dealing with mold.
  • We are looking, for support issues, at getting a Natural, Organic, foam mattress.  Should I be fairly confident that this direction would not introduce the above problems into our bedroom? 

I am not suggesting that all memory foam, air, synthetic latex is going to mold.  I am not suggesting that all memory foam and synthetic latex offgasses, but I will tell you that if anything CAN go negative, it will do so in my household.

Re: Offgassing and Mold???
Reply #2 Oct 9, 2013 9:41 AM
Mold can grow in humid, stale air conditions, on suitable materials.  An innerspring mattress has a porous surface that breathes and dries... not prone to mold.  An air mattress does not breath and the bladder air can create a temperature differential with the ambient air, which may cause condensation, moisture build-up... perhaps mold conditions.  Memory foam does not breath and also warms up... perhaps mold conditions.  Latex foam rubber is very breathable (most breathable foam) and does not warm up excessively if properly protected with wool in the cover/pad.  And Latex should be used on a base that ventilates.  And Latex is naturally anti-microbial, etc... so not prone to mold, regardless of it being 100% Natural/Organic or Blended (with synthetic Latex).

Quality materials fully processed should not off gas; cheap materials poorly processed may off gas (memory foams).  Latex from reputable manufacturers should not off gas, regardless of it being 100% Natural/Organic or Blended (with synthetic Latex).

I don't consider a slight odor that dissipates in due time to be 'off gassing'.  I consider obnoxious odors that don't go away to be off gassing.

A 100% foam mattress can be hard to get right, especially for support.  And all that foam can make moving about on the mattress more difficult for someone with mobility issues.  You might want to try it in a store first.  Mold is the least of your worries unless you live in a damp, stale basement or similar conditions.

GK

This message was modified Oct 9, 2013 by GKDesigns
Reply #3 Oct 10, 2013 12:06 AM
YOu want to try an all latex bed in a store before investing in one. The big mattress stores that carry latex mattresses usually have four through six inches of latex on top of inner springs. This feels very much like a normal bed. A 100% latex mattress can be quite difficult to roll around on and that could be an issue for your wife. I found the latex mattresses to be just as difficult to move on as a thick Tempurpedic.
Reply #4 Oct 10, 2013 5:47 PM
Thanks for the advice.  I ran across a store who had "foam" or latex mattresses, but the sales person could tell me nothing of the specifics including type, and firmness of layers.  So yes, my wife got on one, but without knowing more about the details, I was cautious about knowing what I was looking at.  I even went back and talked to another of their staff but whereas they were willing to help my wife get around, they had very little to say that would lead me to believe they knew a whole lot about what they were selling.

We live in Chattanooga, and I guess I could find a place in Atlanta that sells latex mattresses, but is not terribly convenient to go there and shop for mattresses.

But I am beginning to think that I may just have to do that to complete my due diligence.

Recent Posts