NovaForm Gel (Costco) Major Issues...............
Oct 15, 2011 6:52 PM
We suffered through high end (S&F) pillowtops for years (yeah, I now know, don't buy a pillowtop).

So after reading plenty of reviews on foam and laying on, but deciding not to spend $5K on a King size Tempurpedic or $2500+ on the "S" brand new age foams, we decided to try the NovaForm Gel 12" foam mattress from Costco both due to the price and the liberal return policy.

Well, all was good.................. for a while.

Purchased King size Novaform Gel Memory about 1 1/2 months ago. Let it air out for 2 days and complaints about the smell were non-existent.

There is however a huge issue with the mattress.

It took a few nights for myself and my wife (both average size) to become accustomed to the mattress. No problem, as that is to be expected.

After the initial adjustment period, we both loved the mattress, or so we thought. After a couple of weeks, the weather started getting cooler, and I would wake up with lower back pain every morning. (never an issue before) and that escalated into leg/foot pain. My wife still sort of liked it.

Now that the weather is cool every night, both my wife and myself get no sleep (tossing and turning) and we both wake up with aches and pains.

Problem? The mattress is as hard as a rock in cool weather. What will happen when it actually gets cold? Might as well sleep on a board.

Sleep Innovations specifically states NOT to use a common box spring type foundation. The mattress therfore is on a custom built platform (2x4 frame with OSB top & bottom, with quilted moving blankets on top of the platform) and is no different than laying it on a floor, so it gets the full support they call for. Bed frame itself also has side to side & center supports

Can't wait to bring this back to the store. Maybe then we can get a decent nights sleep.

I would like to stay with Costco as in my state, mattress returns are not legal (though Costco allows it, probably because they can ship out of state)

So now the big question is , where do we go from here?

This message was modified Oct 15, 2011 by robertwhite
Re: NovaForm Gel (Costco) Major Issues...............
Reply #30 Jun 18, 2013 3:38 PM
robertwhite wrote:

As I said, there is no major retailer anywhere near me, much less a TP factory store. I might have to take the 2 hr ride (each way) to a major city and find a TP factory store or reputable chain type store. I will be calling Tempurpedic directly tomorrow and getting straight facts about their return policy. There is no way I am laying out $2500-3000 just to "try" a bed for <90 days and then when it doesn't work out, and we have to return it, we lose 10% + tax. I can't afford to just throw away $400 to try out a bed.

As for the iComfort, you do realize it is made by Sleep Innovations, the same company that makes the Novaform, right? And BTW, if you can find an iComfort Revolution or whatever they call it for $1200 in a King size, please let me know, as I will buy it just to try it out. A King size is WELL into the $2K range without an adjustable base.

DIY foam is not going to happen. Why would I take the chance on an unknown feel if we are having trouble with a known memory feel? That makes zero sense.

It's available for $600 at PriceBuster Mattress.  If you want it with an adjustable base...you'd spend around $1000!!!  Just thought I'd let you know!  And the Icomfort material is not made by Sleep Innovations.  Serta does have a "sleep innovations memory foam" but it's called just that.  The Icomfort is a completely different bed!

Re: NovaForm Gel (Costco) Major Issues...............
Reply #31 Jun 20, 2013 7:06 PM
amurray wrote:

And the Icomfort material is not made by Sleep Innovations.  Serta does have a "sleep innovations memory foam" but it's called just that.  The Icomfort is a completely different bed!

Maybe.  But it's still a cheap form of memory foam. Probably imported from China and assembled in the US.  Equally crappy.  Nothing like the Tempurpedic foam.

Recent Posts