New and overwhelmed
Oct 14, 2012 12:33 AM
I've had my current mattress for ten years.  There is now a me-shaped dip in the middle, and I'm waking up with an aching lower back.  I know it's time to pull the trigger, and I've been shopping around and taking notes.  Before discovering this forum I had no idea about coil counts and such...didn't even think to ask about that sort of thing. 

That said, I need a new bed, my time is limited, and I can't afford to go to a zillion different stores and ask about coil counts.  I like a soft bed, but this forum has bad things to say about pillow tops wearing out too fast.  I've also figured out that it's best to stay away from the sort of memory foam beds I can afford (Tempurpedic and iComfort are beyond me).  I found a bed by Southerland that's an innerspring with a latex foam topper, just within my budget...any word on this brand?  The bed model is called the Amelia Super Pillow Top, but I know that names can vary from store to store.  This is one of those local chain shops, apparently "family owned," but what isn't? 

Gah.  I just want a comfortable new bed that won't wear out in two years!  I wish this weren't so complicated and frustrating.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Re: New and overwhelmed
Reply #7 Oct 20, 2012 5:58 PM
mattresshound wrote:

I personally feel that firm mattresses are good for my lower back pain.

Did you look into the Ameria Firm or Luxury Firm?

No, I actually just bought a Simmons from a local place that just had its grand opening and was offering specials that compared well to other shops in the area.  (Of course after I bought it, I saw a post on this site about how crappy Simmons coils are.  Here's hoping I won't wear them out too soon.) 

I remembered what everybody here said about buying a firm mattress and adding a topper if necessary.  The manager had been selling mattresses for years and seemed knowledgeable; I told him I wanted a firm innerspring with the least amount of foam crap stuffed into it.  So he showed me one, explained how it compared to other models in the shop, and after I lay on it for a while I decided I really liked it.  It was just delivered today.

I really hope I like it.  I'm so tired of waking up in pain from my old one.  

Recent Posts