New mattress shopper - help please
Jun 29, 2013 1:44 PM
I'm very happy to have found this site.  My wife and I have not bought a mattress for over 10 years and we are lost.  We've also never bought a bed online but have seen that there have been many happy customers so we're willing to give it a shot if there is a decent return policy.

We're reading about various mattresses and there is soooooo much information out there.  I was wondering if someone could give me information on the pros/cons regarding latex, memory foam, innerspring, adjustable, and all the varous types that fall under those categories.  It is quite overwhelming!!  I (160lbs) have some neck issues and my wife (130 lbs) has back issues if that helps.  She is also a stomach sleeper and I sleep every which way.

We're willing to make an investment in a quality bed if it means a good nights sleep for the next 10 years but would be happy to save as much money as possible, as always.

Any help is appreciated!!

- R

Re: New mattress shopper - help please
Reply #2 Jul 6, 2013 6:43 AM
Even though I agree it could be confusing, I suggest you pen down your preferences and look at the Amazon marketplace, you can get so many affordable mattresses that can help your health and sleep quality. Reading the reviews of other conusmers can also help you. All the best with your search!
Reply #3 Jul 10, 2013 9:19 PM
I'm partial to latex beds and there are plenty of suggestions on this site.  I bought my current mattress from Flobeds but there are other options too.  Try the search options.  I think if you read the links below you will be more able to make an educated decision.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-quest-new-mattress/16650-A-1.html

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/answer-whats-best-mattress/6097-0-1.html

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/long-post-about-my-bedding-tribulations-final-relief-through-our-purchase-custom-sleep-design/24378-0-1.html

This is another informative discussion about latex:   http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/overstuffing-mattress-case-foam-layers/16508-A-1.html

Good luck.

This message was modified Jul 11, 2013 by Sall
Reply #4 Jul 24, 2013 10:12 PM
My advice is to go with latex and the 2 companies I am looking at are flobeds and plushbeds.

I do not know plushbeds as a company but I like their site and their mattress design and it seems they have enough good reviews. I have a thread of my own askiing about them so I'll see if anyone responds negatively; otherwise I may buy one of their mattresses or at least a topper.

Flobeds is an excellent company that I have dealt with. They have fantastic customer service for a fact. However they are more expensive than plushbeds. Also (I am basing this on old info, it could be wrong) flobeds does not use Dunlop latex , only Talalay. That's not bad, it's just a difference. Dunlop tends to be cheaper and more firm, generally, though you can get it in lower firmnesses too. But a 28ILD Dunlop latex mattress is going to feel firmer than a 28ILD Talalay latex mattress. (ILD is the firmness factor for latex; it's actually a density factor but we can call it "firmness" for practical terms.)

The thing about latex is it provides great support and does not wear out nearly as quickly as PU foam which is what most mattress companies use. Some will say they use HD pu foam that lasts a long time. Yeah, it's better, lasts longer than cheap PU foam but it will still wear out in a year or three.

In my opinion, stay away from memory foam: it also wears out quick.

If you want an adjustable mattress go with flobeds, you can always change out a layer to adjust, or just change the placement of layers; or add a topper etc. You can also change layers in the plushbeds.com latex mattresses but it will cost more and be more difficult. But cheaper overall.

Reply #5 Jul 26, 2013 11:12 AM
>>(ILD is the firmness factor for latex; it's actually a density factor but we can call it "firmness" for practical terms.)

ILD (or IFD) is a force measurement.  25% ILD is a measure of 'surface firmness'.  This article has a nice short discussion of foam firmness and support.

GK

Recent Posts