New Mattress Too Hard
Jun 22, 2014 10:32 AM
I got a new mattress from the store and paid full price. The demo model in the store was very comfy, I could have fell asleep on it. The one they delivered is hard as a rock. I checked the tag and it is the same model as in the store. Just wondering whether the mattress well break in and get softer or should I go back to the store and exchange it for a softer model?

This mattress has supposedly a small layer of gel memory foam. I'm not a big fan of memory foam since I once had a topper that I didn't like.

Re: New Mattress Too Hard
Reply #3 Jun 25, 2014 5:29 PM
I have the exact same issue with a Simmons World Class Recharge "Mitzi" model that I have slept on for three plus weeks.  The demo at Mattress Firm was/is much more relaxed on the top of the mattress.  Our mattress seems too firm and ungiving compared to the store model.  I also think it runs a bit hot because of this.  I just stopped by the store today to confirm my initial reaction to the "Mitzi" mattress and I still love the feel of the store model.

Do I need to be patient because this Simmons model will eventually break-in and become less tight on top?

Or do I need to pull the trigger on a return/exchange?

Re: New Mattress Too Hard
Reply #4 Jun 27, 2014 10:27 AM
Sambuca, the mattress I'm having a problem is also the Simmons Recharge. It seems way too firm compared to the floor model. I'm thinking about exchanging it but I'm not sure for what. Seems like they all have memory foam.

And although at the store they tell you that memory foam / gel sleeps cool, it's actually hot.

Recent Posts