Need advice - Latex Mattress
Feb 2, 2009 1:27 PM
I recently ( a week ago) purchased a Serta Vera Wang Latex Mattress - went to the store a million times to test it out and loved it.

Everyday this week i've had the worst back pain as I can only assume it is from the mattress. I cannot return it to the store as it was a clearance item, do i have any other options apart buying a brand new mattress again??

I've been reading through the forum and saw that you can purchase toppers.  Since my mattress is extremley soft could I get a firmer topper to put ontop...would that make a difference.

Sorry to sound so ignorant.

Thank you for your help.

This message was modified Feb 2, 2009 by blahblah
Re: Need advice - Latex Mattress
Reply #2 Feb 2, 2009 1:56 PM
It is the Serene simplicity. 
Reply #3 Feb 2, 2009 2:11 PM
I recall that the Serta Latex base product line is called "Luxury Response" which has a 6 inch Latex core on a 2 inch base combined to make an 8 inch mattress.  Then Serta adds different upolstery and top layers of different types and thicknesses depending on the model name brand which varies from big store to big store.  The Vera Wang models usually mean fancier fabric and a bit more upper layer padding over the latex core so it's hard to tell which one you have.  Following is a "copy and paste" of the different layers of just one of the many Vera Wang latex models.

This may sound silly for a new mattress but you could try adding a three or even four inch thick mattress topper slightly firmer than the soft layers built into your mattress that will give a little more support for your back.  If you think the mattress is too firm you could try a viscoelastic open cell type topper but when my bride and I tried out Vera Wang Latex in a store they had more of a pillow top or very soft top feel which was much too soft for our tastes and older backs.

Our non-expert but experienced based opinion is if you just find you can't sleep on this mattress try to sell it while it is nearly new and consider the whacky idea of a old fashioned hardside frame waterbed - we keep buying 100% waveless - motionless waterbed mattresses with extra lumbar fiber support and we can't find a foam or spring mattress that can give us that same level of firm but supportive comfort.

Sorry about your experience - a topper might be your answer.

Reply #4 Feb 2, 2009 7:34 PM
Thank you...i'm trying to sell it with no luck.
I will try the topper also.

I just wish there was someway I could return it. Lesson learnt - never buy a clearance item no matter how great the deal!

Recent Posts