Need Help Identifying this Mattress
Nov 8, 2010 1:04 PM
I need help finding out where this mattress came from (see pictures below).  This was my old bed that I threw away several months ago, and I haven't been able to sleep as well as I used to ever since. 

It's a Twin XL bed, and if you look at the base, it has a flower pattern on a green background, which is the same pattern used for the mattress on top (you just can't see it because my blue bed sheets are covering it).

I bought this bed used from a college student about 3 years ago, so I don't know where she got it from, and I have no way to contact her now to find out.  The mattress did have a faded label on it that might have identified the brand or manufacturer, but unfortunately I never paid any attention to it before, so I don't know what it said.

It's also a double-sided, flippable bed, not those non-flippable kind that people are selling nowadays.

Oh, if it helps, I live in Massachusetts.  I've checked just about every bed company around here, and nobody seems to have anything like this (I've checked Sleepy's, Mystic Mattress, Gardner, etc).

If anyone knows where this bed came from and where I can purchase another one like it, I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd let me know, so I can get a decent night's sleep again!

Re: Need Help Identifying this Mattress
Reply #1 Nov 13, 2010 3:46 PM
For kid's beds, there are two spring systems I've seen that are very common:

If it's firm to very very firm, then a Bonnell spring.  Leggett & Platt make them and so do independent mattress makers.  It is the oldest, adapted from buggy springs.

If it's softer, then a Luraflex innerspring by Leggett & Platt.  Persaonlly, I'd rather a have a Bonnell than a Luraflex.

How much foam padding on top and how tight they stretch the cover affect the feel.   Also what's rock solid in a twin size or full size may sway a little and feel much, much softer at queen & king size.

I posted about Imperial Bedding of Huntington WV.    Original Mattress Factory, too.    Both of those make good firm 2-sided traditional innerspring mattresses.  Look for that link I posted to a store in MD, I believe, that had the Imperial catalog online.   More complete than Imperial's site, lol.

The Imperial #640 Tempercoil is 2 sided and feels like a Simmons Beautyrest but apparently holds up much better.

Re: Need Help Identifying this Mattress
Reply #2 Nov 14, 2010 6:18 AM
Just wanted to clarify that by "kid's bed,"  I meant what you usually see in a twin size.  Englander, Buis in Michigan, Imperial, Original Mattress Factory:  Those are jast some that still make 2-sided.   Search here for "two sided,"   "2 sided," and variants of that term.    Lots of people are looking for them.    Actually, there's starting to be such a consumer backlash about problems with single sided mattresses that all the mattress stores actually seem to be aware of that. (Maybe they saw their sales plunge lately?)    And some that I've been to are starting to offer at least one or two 2-sided mattresses again.

Recent Posts