Need Advice Between 2 S&F Mattresses
Jan 19, 2011 4:46 PM
I need to purchase one of these mattresses this week and could use some advice on with one to choose.  The 2 are:

Cadbury Plush Queen:  http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11479357&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|93|1924|67412&N=4018920&Mo=28&No=8&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=67412&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=93*1924*67412*&topnav=

Newgate Luxury Plush Queen:  http://www.sleepys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10551&productId=15014&attrValue=Queen&catalogId=10602&langId=-1

I had my mind made up to purchase the Cadbury but, I am worried that the bed only has a 504 coil density as opposed to the Newgate which has a 825 coil density.  Should I be concerned with this?  Will the bed with more coils last longer?

Thanks,

Frank

This message was modified Jan 19, 2011 by ftlee20723
Re: Need Advice Between 2 S&F Mattresses
Reply #2 Jan 19, 2011 10:14 PM
Just to confirm st3v3k4hn's warning, we purchased the Meadow Hill Luxury Plush mattress from Costco about 4 months ago.  Unfortunately, the built-in foam topper is already showing signs of permanent compression, and the comfort level has deteriorated rapidly. In only 4 months!  Needless to say, we're pretty disappointed.  If you have your heart set on an innerspring mattress, I would definitely heed st3v3k4hn's advice and either go with one that has a real latex topper (not "smart latex"), or look for a quality, basic mattress WITHOUT a bunch of cheap foam on the top, and buy a topper separately (latex or memory foam - whatever you prefer). If you buy a latex topper, you should be good to go for many years.  On the other hand, if you prefer a memory foam or poly topper, then when it starts to deteriorate you can just buy a new topper and hang on to your perfectly good spring mattress, rather than face getting a whole new getup.

Of course, the benefit of purchasing from Costco is their warranty, which makes for a very low-risk investment.  On the other hand, I'd rather be sleeping well these days and not having to deal with the hassle of returning a bed and deciding on a new one.

Reply #3 Jan 20, 2011 12:00 AM
Neither one of the two beds that I am trying to choose from have a pillow-top or euro-top so, does your advice change?

Here are the specs for the Cadbury:

Luxurious Knit Cover
FlameGuard™ High Loft Fiber
1" Hypersoft®
1.5" x .5" Convoluted Hypersoft®
2" Infinilux® with VRT™
1.57" Smart Latex™
1" HD SuperSoft Foam
416 Foam Encased,
5T - 12.75 Gauge Innerspring Unit

Here are the specs for the Newgate:

High Loft Fiber

1" Hypersoft

1" Hypersoft

1" HD SuperSoft Foam

1" HD SuperSoft Foam w/VRT

This message was modified Jan 20, 2011 by ftlee20723
Reply #4 Jan 20, 2011 1:43 AM
Both look like they have enough polyurethane foam that can give out over time.  So, frankly I would not have a high degree of confidence in either one.

I would not worry too much about the springs giving out, the foam will give out first.  At least Costco has a 100% return policy.  I think you could even return it after 6 months if there is a problem.  So, if I was undecided, I would prefer to buy from Costco.

This message was modified Jan 20, 2011 by sandman
Reply #5 Jan 20, 2011 8:20 AM
Costco mattress for sure, based solely on return policy.  Costco will provide a full refund at any time if you become dissatisfied.  Sleepy's will leave you high and dry if you start to have problems after their limited warranty period. Although neither mattress is advertised as a "pillow-top", it looks like both have plenty of poly-foam.  I wouldn't worry too much about coil density. My personal impression of coil density is that it is a metric that has been exploited by the marketing industry, much like thread-count in sheets. Consumers are told more is always better...but in my opinion, that concept is mostly a hoax. I think a 504 coil density is perfectly sufficient, in and of itself.

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck with whatever mattress you decide on.

Reply #6 Jan 21, 2011 12:26 AM
bertie - do you know how long you have to exchange it (90-days)?

Frank

Reply #7 Jan 21, 2011 10:18 AM
Here's Costco's return policy:

http://shop.costco.com/en/Customer-Service/Returns.aspx

Which I read as a money back guarantee if you become unsatisfied with the mattress at any time (much like LLBean's policy).  I'll be returning our Costco mattress (4 months old) within the next week or so - I'll update on how it goes.

Reply #8 Mar 4, 2011 7:18 PM
Just an update, as promised (albeit a bit late)...

We were able to return our 6-month old mattress to Costco without any hassle. They picked it up at our house, and even covered return shipping. Although we were hugely disappointed with the Sealy mattress we bought there, Costco's return policy is truly exceptional.  We'll be replacing it with an all-latex mattress shortly...

Recent Posts