My Foam By Mail / Foam Distributing Experience
Sep 17, 2008 11:00 PM
My Foam By Mail (FBM) order arrived last Thursday, however we had hurricane Ike to deal with so I've been delayed in getting this post.  On the recommendation by several people on this forum, I weighed the foam before unwrapping the plastic wrap.  My order consisted of these East King (76x80) layers:

Two 1" HD36-HQ foam 2.8 PCF, 35 ILD ($82 for both)
5" Lux-HQ foam 2.8 PCF, 50 ILD ($201)

I ordered these costlier "High Quality (HQ)" variants via FBM's http://www.foamdistributing.com site.  Shipping was included in the price.  I received a confirmation e-mail, and within a few days a UPS tracking number.  Upon reciept, the outer box of the 5" Lux-HQ was beat up very badly, and I could tell that some papers had been torn off the outside.  However, the foam was wrapped completely in plastic wrap and incurred no damage.  The 2 1" HD36's were in a second box that was still intact. 

I removed the foam "cylinders" from their boxes and weighed them on the digital bathroom scale.  The Lux-HQ weighed in at 46.4 lbs and the 2 HD36's weighed in at 17.6 lbs.  According to my calculations, this is close to the 49 and 19.7 lbs respectively that these cuts should weigh.  The "Regular (R)" versions are 1.8 PCF so would weigh much less.

I have not measured the actual dimensions of the foam, but suffice it to say that the dimensions are more than enough to consitute E. King size.  They appear to meet or exceed the 76x80 spec.  Overall I am very satisfied with my FBM ordering experience.

I moved the rolls of foam upstairs into a free room and unwrapped them to let them expand and air out.  They stayed there during the hurricane.  After the hurricane, we were very fortunate to get power restored later on that day, so my parents who were not so lucky came to stay with us.  My dad is a big guy and has been complaining of neck and shoulder pain and his sagging 5 yr old pillowtop mattress, and my mother complains of back pain every day when she wakes up.  So, I asked them to try out the firm HQ foam bed.  We had the 5" Lux on the bottom, and the 2 1" HD36 on top, with a velour ticking cover, and a polyfill mattress pad over that, then the fitted sheet.  I wanted to see what their thoughts were on the firmness, and a told them about jankdc on the forum here sleeping on just a block of Lux after a back injury.  They slept great.  Both slept very soundly and had no pain when they woke up.  The second night one or both of them could have slept on the pillowtop queen in good condition in the guest room, but they both chose the foam stack.  They described the bed as "plenty firm" and did not experience pressure points or numbness.  They now want their own.

The big 5" block of Lux-HQ is FIRM, but different than what springs feel like.  If you lay flat on your back, your lower back does not touch.  The HD36 is a little softer, I would consider it medium-firm.  I intend for this stackup to comprise my base layers, to replace the function of innersprings.  It is too firm & rigid by itself, as I expected.  We placed the layers in the ticking cover along with a 3" 4# memory foam topper from Overstock.com over our existing Sealy box springs, fine tuned the positioning, then zipped up the 360 zipper.  We've slept on this rig for 2 nights now, and it is VERY comfortable.  The memory foam has a very different feel now that its on the very solid foam foundation.  I kind of like it.  My wife is very happy, sleeping well, and not feeling any stiffness or pain.  Same for me -- very little tossing and turning.  The bed feels flat and highly consistent no matter where you lay.  It is very comfortable.  We are officially done sleeping on the Sealy innerspring.

We are sticking with this for now, and I plan on ordering some latex from FBM to replace the memory foam.  2" of 32 ILD and 1" of 20 ILD.  I want to experience sleeping on this boingy Jello stuff.  If we don't like it, I can put the memory foam back in.  Trying it all out -- that's what this is all about, right?

This message was modified Sep 17, 2008 by LatencyMachine
Re: My Foam By Mail / Foam Distributing Experience
Reply #2 Sep 22, 2008 11:57 PM
Great post ... as noted in my other post ... I have returned the latex topper to IKEA as it was the wrong size ... 5" too short ...

I noticed on the www.foamdistributing.com site that they did not have latex .... but their other site www.foambymail.com did ... I am going to have to read more on this site.

How are you sleeping on the foam mattres now?

My vision for my bed is a foam core and then latex ... anyone have this?
Reply #3 Sep 25, 2008 8:31 PM
We had to take out the 3" of 4# memory foam.  My wife started to get sharp lower back pain... she kept thinking it was her kidneys.  I suspected it was back pain caused from the memory foam, so we slept a night on just the 5" Lux-HQ + 2" HD36.  The next day she woke up without the pain and its been gone since then (about 7 days or so) w/o the memory foam.  I had no problem with the memory foam, and it was quite comfortable to me.  3" is too much though, I was sinking in quite a bit.  The HD36 is certainly not a comfort layer though, and we never intended to sleep right on it.  Even under a polyfil mattress pad, we tossed and turned from the pressure points.  However, my primary milestone was to achieve a firm enough support layer out of foam, before ordering the more expensive latex.  I think its mission accomplished, so I order some latex.  I'll post an update once we get it and try it out.

To soften up the HD36 we placed a sleeping bag on top of it.    Unzipped and opened up -- its just about king size.  That AND the polyfil mattress pad helps a bunch.  Still too firm, but sleepable.  I also have a Cuddle Bed on order. 

I also purchased lumber to build a rigid slatted base.  I considered going with one from IKEA, but decided against it.  I don't like the idea of the slatted base flexing.  That may be great for some mattress rigs, but mine is a thick 10" and I want the Lux-HQ to sit on a solid, rigid base.  I'll be constructing the bases for each side this weekend.

I'm very confident we'll get it dialed in.  So far my wife has been very patient with me on this.  I'll follow up with our ultimate build, and the cost of everything.
Reply #4 Sep 26, 2008 10:16 AM
i'm interested to see what you ended up doing and some pics of the frame that you built. i am considering building a frame also instead of a crappy wally world or ikea bed that weighs a ton and will break soon.
Reply #5 Sep 29, 2008 5:19 PM
I'm thinking about the following config from foambymail:
5" 2.0 PCF 50 ILD Lux foam block ($96)
2" 2.0 PCF 36 ILD HD36 foam block ($40)
2.5" 2.8 PCF ILD 55 Lux-HQ EggCrate Foam ($60)
Polyester Fiberfill Mattress pad from STP: $50
Total: $250 for a queen bed

Any comments/suggestions ?
Reply #6 Oct 1, 2008 2:04 AM
Oh man, they just raised their prices b 20% !!!! :(
Reply #7 Oct 1, 2008 11:46 AM
Where does it say that they raised their prices by 20%? I just checked and the prices are the same...
Reply #8 Oct 1, 2008 3:29 PM
runpuddrun wrote:
Where does it say that they raised their prices by 20%? I just checked and the prices are the same...

At least the foam prices have increased by 20%,  if you see my earlier post, they were offering a 5" Lux queen block for $96, now its $120.
You can also check LatencyMachine's prices, now they are much more
Reply #9 Oct 1, 2008 9:48 PM
I guess it is time to start looking for other great latex suppliers.

Seems they might be reading this site too and thought they could get away with charging 20% more.

That is too bad.

I am going to check out SleepEZ.
Reply #10 Oct 2, 2008 11:23 AM
Hmm. I guess I don't see a price difference, but i'm probably just being dense. The prices are the same this week as they were when I made my order last week. I received my first shipment of the HQ foam yesterday and it looked good to me and my latex, Isoform topper and cover is being delivered today.

I built my platform bed yesterday, so I am excited to see how it all feels.
Reply #11 Oct 2, 2008 3:46 PM
For better forum viewing, please resize images to around 640 pixels wide, with a break between (to format in a vertical column).

Recent Posts