Mattress too soft? Should I try another?
Dec 15, 2012 3:18 AM
Some background: Our IKEA mattress was getting old (12 yr) and worn out.  While I seemed to sleep fine, my gf wasn't too happy with it.  I agreed a new Mattress would be a good idea, but I dreaded searching for the right one.  We went into SleepCountry (popular here in the northwest) and ended up going home the same day with a Simmons Beautyrest Truenergy (specifically the Bryanna Plush Eurotop).  We narrowed it down to that one and another Truenergy that was slightly firmer (which I liked better, but the gf did not), but ended up choosing the softer one. 

As soon as we got it delivered, it felt a lot softer than it did in the store, so I was skeptical...too soft.  The first night sleep was horrible; I was tossing and turning all night because I couldn't get comfortable (we are both back/side sleepers).  It felt as if I was sleeping on a partially inflated air mattress (ie my hips were sinking deep into the mattress).  In the next nights it got better, but I can't say I was getting the best sleep...I felt like I slept better on the firmer IKEA mattress we had.  We've just passed day 30 on the mattress, and we're both still up in the air about it.  We are sleeping "okay", but definitely better than the first night.

We slept on some different mattress since the new one (at relatives), and those nights were bad (where in the past, they were fine).  I'm thinking we are use to the super soft mattress now?  But does that mean the soft mattress is better?  I'm having a difficult deciding because it seems like whatever mattress we choose, our backs will adjust to it...so then how do we decide which one is best?

You know those mornings when you wake up and are super comfortable...as if you never moved throughout the night?  Yeah, I haven't had one of those yet with this new mattress.  Even when I am dead tired most of the time (stay up late, wake up early), I've never had that feeling.  What makes me even more skeptical is that when I try to sleep in, I can never get comfortable after I am well rested.  It is as if our bed is uncomfortable and when I'm tired I don't notice it.  It's almost to the point when I want to video tape during the night to see how much we move around.

Anyways, we have 100 days from purchase to return the mattress if we're not happy.  We're contemplating going back for the other, firmer, Truenergy that was our other pick.  Any words of advice or experience would be greatly appreciated!  This was my worst nightmare when it came to selecting a new mattress.  For the money we spent on it, I want to make sure we get one that is best for us!

Sorry for the wall of text!

Re: Mattress too soft? Should I try another?
Reply #2 Dec 15, 2012 12:57 PM
Wow! Excellent advice!  I really appreciate it...everything you said makes sense.  Yes, the Truenergy is memory foam on pocket coils.

So in the past, I could sleep anywhere (relatives, hotels, etc) and not have any issues.  But now that my body is accustomed to the super soft mattress we have, any deviation from that (ie a firmer matress) makes for tossing and turning all night.  I did actually have one night when I slept on the floor with just my 1" thermarest camping mattress, and had a good night sleep.

A poorly matched mattress can be self-defeating... too much Eurotop comfort can isolate a lighter weight sleeper from getting the support they need... they sag in the comfort layer.

I think you hit on the head, here.  We are both lighter weight sleepers (I'm 6' 175, she is 5'5" 130), and what you describe is exactly what I feel is happening; there is too much comfort layer so we aren't really utilizing the support layer underneath.

The other Truenergy we were contemplating over had slightly higher gauge springs (so, firmer support layer), and a little bit thinner comfort layer.  I think we should have gone with that one instead.  We'll head back to the store and do some more shopping, but a firmer mattress definitely seems like the best remedy.

Thanks again!

Re: Mattress too soft? Should I try another?
Reply #3 Dec 15, 2012 2:15 PM
jstluise wrote:>>

>>I did actually have one night when I slept on the floor with just my 1" thermarest camping mattress, and had a good night sleep.

Yes, at least the suppport is there albeit with a very minimal comfort layer via some calculated deflation.  I often prefer a good night's sleep on my Thermarest vs. enduring a worn out guest mattress, despite any minor surface discomfort.

>>We are both lighter weight sleepers (I'm 6' 175, she is 5'5" 130), and what you describe is exactly what I feel is happening; there is too much comfort layer so we aren't really utilizing the support layer underneath.

Likely so.

>>The other Truenergy we were contemplating over had slightly higher gauge springs (so, firmer support layer), and a little bit thinner comfort layer.  I think we should have gone with that one instead.  We'll head back to the store and do some more shopping, but a firmer mattress definitely seems like the best remedy.

I think you are on the right track.

GK

Recent Posts