Mattress buying advice
Sep 14, 2012 4:23 PM

Hello,
    I am in the market to buy a new mattress. I am not sure in any way how to evaluate different mattresses. The only way I know is to go to a store and evaluate it by sleeping on it. I am a back sleeper but I don't like firm mattresses. I like plush or pillowtop mattresses. I definitely feel an adjustable base makes a difference but was wondering if it will reduce the life of the mattress. Can you give me some parameters with respect what I should look for in a good mattress. Right now I am just seeing which mattress is most cheap and I can comfortably sleep on. Mancini's sleepword in San Jose is giving me a good deal right now. Anything negative against the store?
Re: Mattress buying advice
Reply #2 Sep 15, 2012 3:10 AM
DIYJoel wrote:

If I were in the market for a new mattress there would be a couple of things I would be aware of. As of late it appears that to get a mattress of any quality from the big name brands, you have to spend a fair amount of coin. While I see you are looking for cheap, it is going to cost you more in the long run. My suggestion would be to look into a 100% latex mattress from a reputable online company. To get an idea of what you like you could try out some nice latex mattresses locally.

If that doesn't float your boat, no worries. Another option that many people aren't aware about are local mattress manufacturers. If you do a search you may find that within a reasonable distance there may be a small company who actually makes their own mattresses to sell to people like yourself. You can usually go down to the factory and talk with a rep about what it is you like and try a few of their models. I have found that this is a cheap way to get a good quality mattress.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. Buying a bed is a tough experience and if you make a mistake it can be quite costly.

I have been offered a "beautyrest haynes way plush pillowtop" for $1500 an adjustable base for $800 and Cambridge Queen Sleigh bed (http://www.jordans.com/Beds/BZ0145410.aspx) for $850. On top of that I will get a 20% discount making the whole combo about $2500. Is this a good deal or should I shop more? Plus free delivery and setup. The store is Mancini's sleepworld but this particular store is not highly rated on Yelp.

I am not sure as to why buying a bed is such a big deal. Atleast I am from India and when I grew up I(or anybody I knew) didn't really care about what mattress they slept on. As far as I am concerned if I find a mattress I am comfortable with I am only concerned at getting it for cheapest price.

Reply #3 Sep 18, 2012 12:41 PM
You should choose the mattress that provides adequate support and meets your standards for comfort and allows you to get a good night's sleep. The most important factor in choosing a bed mattress  is comfort and contrary to popular myth, a mattress doesn’t have to be hard to be good for you. As long as it has a good supporting structure, the amount of padding on top is down to personal preference.

Best wishes,
Michael
Reply #4 Sep 18, 2012 8:55 PM
Do some research on pillowtops.  They don't last.  They use cheap foam.  Keep looking.  
Reply #5 Sep 19, 2012 6:03 PM
I would like to go for a Simmons Beauty Rest Haynes Way Plush Pillow top adjustable base + Ergomotion adjustable base. Was wondering as to what is the lowest I can ask a mattress store to quote for that combo. Can I get one in the $1500-1700 range

Recent Posts