Mattress Joint
Feb 8, 2010 8:43 PM
Anyone have any dealings with Mattress Joint out of Oakland Park,  Fl.?  They have an A- rating with BBB other then that haven't read a whole lot of anything about them good or bad, they have some great deals and the mattress we are looking at we save about $500, so gotta consider that.  We've been looking so long and have finally settled on the Engalnder  Gold 21st Century Mattress, first mattress my wife and I both agree on!!!! Anyone have any dealings with Englander not alot of reviews on those, and just like any mattress there are good reviews and bad reviews.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
     thanks
Re: Mattress Joint
Reply #1 Feb 9, 2010 5:14 PM
Well since no one else is responding...
I can't really answer your question but I'll say what I think I know about Englander etc.
First of all I found the web site, I don't see "Gold" in the description, it just says Englander Edition 21st Century Captiva Natural.
It is offered in various firmnesses.

If you have done any homework here you know NOT to get a pillow-top, right?

Get the Firm. But it still has what appears to be 5" of poly foam in it - they don't say it's NOT poly foam so I have to assume it is. It also does NOT say what kind of springs are in it. So who the heck knows what you're getting??

Englander seems to be not much - if any - better than any of the big S companies in terms of using a lot of cheap poly foam in all their mattresses. So chances are this mattress - nor any S mattress out there that I know of - is not going to provide good support over time. If you buy it you will probably want to count on doing a mattress surgery at some time in the near future and replacing all the foam with latex (actually you don't need 5" of latex replacement, though, probably 2-3" will work!)

I bought an Englander "Malibu Firm" and tried sleeping on it and hated it. I got my knife out after the first night and cut 'er open, threw away ALL the foam it had inside (cheap poly foam with no support) and replaced it with hr foam and latex. I know recommend ALL latex and no HR foam. Now that I have almost all latex inside (2" of it) my mattress is great!

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/mattress-surgery-performing-foam-ectomy-my-englander-mattress-w-photos/6161-A-1.html
Make sure you click ALL to see each post including links to other surgeons' projects.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2010 by jimsocal
Reply #2 Feb 9, 2010 8:07 PM
really appreciate the reply, pretty much decided  to go all latex, seems like every innerspring I find says the same thing sags after time and I've read some real horror stories on trying to get the warranties to cover it.  Really liked the feel of the Englander the one was looking at had latex and something about a quadracoil innerspring, honestly was the best that we have tried and believe me we've tried a bunch.  After doing some research it seems that all of Englanders mattresses are made by Spears Mattress in Rome Ga. and from all the things I've read not a good company to deal with at all, Better Business Bureau gave the a C rating and there are alot of people that have nothing but bad things to say about them.  So anyone out thinking about an Englander make sure you dig as deeply as you can cause what you are gonna find will surprise you.
Reply #3 Nov 16, 2011 7:29 AM
I bought the Englander Captiva Natural pillowtop from Overstock and that was an expensive mistake. First was buying from Overtsock because they wouldn't take it back, unlike Macy's who will let you exchange your mistake for a different mattress.  The second was buying this mattress. The pillow-top felt good to touch, but to sleep on it is another matter. I didn't slice open my mattress like the one reviewer did, but if I had, I'm sure I would have found they scimped on the foam top. This mattress feels like more like trying to sleep on a sleeping bag on my driveway. 

So then I went and spent another $129 on a 3 inch foam topper to put on top of my mattress. It worked great for about 2.5 months, and now my back is begining to hurt again. I just need to cut my losses and a get a good mattress from a company who will stand behind me.

This message was modified Nov 16, 2011 by tammy0300
Reply #4 Nov 16, 2011 10:42 AM
Hi Jimsocal,

Are you still sleeping on the Englander? Do you have just 2" of latex over the springs & then the cover? Anything else?

Just curious!

I was exploring a similar build- high quality, high density, honeycomb bilevel pocket coils + 2" of latex + cover. Nothing else. Frankly, I think I really like the simplicity and was just wondering if that's essentially what you have created. :)

Recent Posts