Mattress Buying Tips
Apr 9, 2017 5:30 AM
You are advised to follow the below tips before buying a new mattress -

1. Lie Down
If possible, lie on any mattress that you’re considering. Wear loose clothes and shoes you can slip off. Make yourself comfortable, and shoo away the salesperson if you’re feeling pressured. Salespeople should expect you to take your time. Spend at least five or ten minutes on each side and on your back (your stomach, too, if that's a preferred sleeping position). Panelists who took beds home for a month-long trial rarely changed the opinion they formed after the first night. Shopping online or at a warehouse club? Tryouts aren’t usually an option, so checking return policies before you buy is extra important.

2. Check Return Policies
Make sure the store offers a full refund or credit toward another mattress. Return periods often called “comfort guarantees,” range from a couple of weeks to 120 days. Some retailers, including Macy’s and Sears, charge a 15-percent restocking fee. Costco and some online sellers provide free pickup if you want a refund or exchange, but otherwise, you’ll have to pay for it—or cart the mattress to the store. And you’ll be responsible for any damage.

3. Try to Haggle
Once you’ve settled on a model, try to bring the price down. Many businesses, such as warehouse clubs, have fixed prices and won’t budge. But for retailers that do negotiate—particularly specialty chains—huge markups allow them to lower prices by 50 percent or more during their frequent sales. Our recommendation: Any time of year, insist on a sale price you’ve seen for the mattress you know you want and don’t be afraid to walk out if you feel you’re getting a raw deal.

4. Don’t Be Bullied Into Buying a Box Spring
You might not need it. For an innerspring mattress, the box spring (also called a “foundation”) is a wood frame enclosing stiff wire and covered with fabric to match the mattress. For foam or adjustable air mattresses, it’s a box several inches high. If you're switching to a foam or adjustable air bed from an innerspring, you'll need a boxy foundation that lacks springs and wire. Otherwise, if your box spring isn't broken and is still structurally sound, consider keeping it and saving money (roughly $150 to $300 for a queen-size). One caveat: Some brands require you to buy their box spring to receive full warranty coverage.

5. Understand the Warranty
It can range from 10 to 25 years and covers only manufacturing defects such as sagging and loose or broken coil wires. Coverage is frequently prorated, meaning that it decreases over time.

6. On Delivery Day
Never accept delivery without inspecting the mattress (and the box spring, if you buy one) for stains and other damage. Also be sure that the mattress has a label that states “all-new material” before you send the driver on his way. If it’s not there, refuse delivery. And keep it on afterward in case you do have to file a warranty claim in the future.
This message was modified Apr 9, 2017 by bobby231
Re: Mattress Buying Tips
Reply #1 Jan 23, 2019 4:33 AM
That's an awesome list and that's a shame it's not pinned.<br>I can only add that if you have a special medical condition, you should probably visit your doctor first and discuss this matter with him/her. Since you'll never know how new mattress might affect your health condition in general. I've spent a lot of time doing my research, when I was diagnosed with scoliosis several years ago. Don't forget, that even though customer service can help with &quot;how&quot; to choose, you are the only one that can feel what you feel on a mattress.<br>If that's not prohibited, I'd like to share a list of useful sites I found about scolio and back pain in general. It seems like there a lot of people suffering from such kind of pain and looking for answers. So I hope they might find it useful :)

https://www.spine-health.com/wellness/sleep/considerations-when-choosing-mattress
https://www.sauk.org.uk/coping-with-scoliosis/posture-and-positioning
https://www.talkaboutsleep.com/best-mattress-for-scoliosis
https://www.webmd.com/back-pain/best-mattress-for-lower-back-pain
This message was modified Jan 23, 2019 by Diana

Recent Posts