Looking for a latex foam mattress - any advice?
Nov 29, 2009 3:35 PM
I have an eye on this mattress found on Overstock.com

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/E.C.O.-8-Latex-Full-size-Mattress/3227640/product.html#

That is a really decent price for a latex mattress, but it doesn't list the foam density (it only says "Rest peacefully on this high density foam mattress ") so I have no idea how soft or firm it is.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on this particular mattress, or latex mattresses in general?

Thanks!
Re: Looking for a latex foam mattress - any advice?
Reply #4 Nov 30, 2009 10:56 AM
If you are interested in researching a good quality, latex mattress, then start with these websites:

Flobeds
Sleepez
Saavyrest
sleeplikeabear

I would also visit the website of Latex International, the US's major latex foam manufacturer, which is generally acknowledged to make the best quality of Talalay processed latex.

I have a 100% latex bed and I like it a lot.  It's quite a different feel from a traditional spring mattress.  My bed is firm, but with enough give to eliminate pressure points.  I also have terrible back issues.  Before I bought my bed it was hard to sleep through the pain at night.  Now I'm getting a great night's sleep, not *every* night is totally pain free, but most nights are and I'm not in the agony I once was.

I don't know what size bed you're thinking of, but a good quality queen latex bed is going to run you in the neighborhood of $2k - $2200.  From everything I've read, latex mattress have an exceptionally long lifespan of 15-20 years or more.  From this perspective, although the price is high, the long term value is better than a cheaper mattress.  There are some less expensive 100% latex alternatives out there, but the quality of the latex is unquestionably inferior.

Some latex beds are sold like a traditional mattress, where you choose your firmness level and a sewn up mattress is sold to you.

Some latex beds, like mine (from Flobeds) you custom design your firmness, they send you individual latex layers and a mattress cover, and you zip the latex inside the cover.  I  like this setup because if the firmness isn't right, you can return a layer and get a different firmness (exchange latex layers until the bed suits you).  Also, if the mattress cover gets soiled/worn or rips, I can just get another cover.  The latex itself I expect to last a few decades.

Most of these companies have pretty good return/exchange policies.

If you're thinking of getting a latex bed you have a little research to do to answer some basic questions, such as:

1) Do I want Dunlop or Talalay processed latex? (Different manufacturing methods for latex, which produce different feeling latex)
2) What firmness level do I need for my latex bed?  There is a very wide range of firmnesses in latex manufacture, and what firmness you'll want will depend on your height, weight, and sleep style (e.g. stomach, side, or back sleeper).  As a generalization, I'd say the taller/heavier you are, the firmer you'll want your mattress.  All latex has some "give" that allows it to mold to your body shape.
3) Do I want 100% botanically grown latex (100% comes from the sap of the rubber tree) or 100% synthetic latex (chemically identical to 100% natural) or a blended latex? (typically 30% natural and 70% synthetic, said to more durable than 100% natural, but I'm not sure about that).
4) Do I want to go with a company that makes a sealed latex mattress, or do I want to customize individual layers of latex and put them in a zippered mattress cover for a more custom mattress?
5) How thick do I want my mattress?  Generally they seem to range from 6" to 10-11".  If you're heavier, you definitely will need the support of a thicker mattress (mine is 10").  If you're light, you could maybe get away with an 8" mattress.

Once you start reading some websites you'll start to get a feel for what direction you want to go.  The challenge is in being able to actually try a latex bed before buying one.  Most of the 100% latex beds are sold by online companies, it's difficult to find a 100% latex mattress in a mattress showroom.   Some mattress showrooms will have "latex" beds that are a combination lf latex and PU foam (all the major "S" brands have such combined mattresses) but none of them sell a 100% latex mattress.  With quite a bit of searching online and in the yellow pages, I was able to find a few mattress stores that sold latex mattresses and go try them (land and sky and Sweda brands).  I didn't buy those premade mattresses, I ended up going with Flobeds, where in consultation with the owners, I had custom firmness layers sent to me with a zippered cover.  This is very easy to do and gave me the firmness I needed with the option to change.
Re: Looking for a latex foam mattress - any advice?
Reply #5 Dec 2, 2009 1:57 AM
thanks, everyone.

anyone try the costco/ 100 % latex fro Sleep Science?

Please share your experience, kowledge.

phyllis

Recent Posts