Latex topper or build a Pranasleep Vinyasa?
Dec 7, 2010 11:29 PM
My spouse and I have a  Simmons Beautyrest Beecher Village/Anthem Super Pillowtop which is in good condition but has very firm coils.  We're both side-sleepers, 6' / 170lbs and 5'4" / 190lbs, and prefer softer sleeping surfaces.  Since our innerspring is so firm we end up tossing and turning at night, then wake up tired with sore hips and backs.  We tried out a number of mattresses and both like the Pranasleep Vinyasa 3 Super Plush latex mattress, but are hesitant on spending that much on a mattress. 

The Vinyasa has a 7" latex core and two 1" talalay layers (10 ILD?) on top.   Do you think we can mimic the Vinyasa with just a topper on our current mattress or by building a completely new mattress with an online vendor such as sleepez.com or flobeds.com

I'm concerned we'd need multiple toppers that would be so thick on our current mattress we'd need to buy all new sheets.  If that's the case, it may be easier to just build a new mattress using an online vendor.  But if we wouldn't be able to mimic the feel of the Vinyasa then we may be best off just buying the Vinyasa.

Thanks

This message was modified Dec 7, 2010 by kiretc
Re: Latex topper or build a Pranasleep Vinyasa?
Reply #1 Dec 7, 2010 11:43 PM
I seriously doubt you could mimic it with toppers on what you have. The foam on top could become your support layers instead of the springs and you would be opening up a can of worms. You may improve what you have with toppers though ... but it certainly wouldn't be anything like the same.

Knowing it's construction though you almost certainly could through an online manufacturer. It's important to realize though that layer thickness plays a part in how a matttress feels and supports and some "do it yourself" outlets may offer only standardized layer thicknesses which makes duplication much more difficult. That doesn't mean that you couldn't get a wonderful mattress from them ... only that it wouldn't be a duplicate or have exactly the same feel.

Here's a thread you may be interested in from the old legacy forum concerning the prana as well that could save someone a few dollars :) http://legacy.whatsthebest-mattress.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1184953797

Phoenix

This message was modified Dec 8, 2010 by Phoenix

Recent Posts