Latex mattress vendors in greater Boston area?
Dec 7, 2010 4:31 PM
I have appreciated all the information and reviews on this site -- it's a terrific resource to have amidst the swamp of mattress misinformation out there!  

My wife and I are in the market for a new mattress.  We're fed up with innerspring mattresses, and we're now thinking about a latex mattress, based largely on favorable reviews and information provided in this forum. However, having no experience sleeping on a latex mattress, I'd like to check some out at local stores to get an idea of what configurations would work for us. Can anyone recommend latex mattress vendors in the greater Boston area?  We're leaning toward a natural latex product, but don't yet know whether talalay or dunlop (or some combination) will suit us best. It seems like the big chain stores (Sleepy's, etc.) typically have a few all-latex models available, but don't have a great selection, and also don't seem to have legitimate knowledge of the product. Plus, I'd be happy avoiding the big chains anyway, and giving my business to local shops that can provide honest information and a good product.

Also, on a side note...can anyone comment about the long term durability of dunlop vs. talalay?  I've come across directly contradictory statements that claim one type or the other maintains it's resilience and support over a longer time period.  I'm sure durability is largely dependent on the quality of the latex, but perhaps that can be removed from the equation for a fair comparison.  Although I'm relatively tall and skinny (6', 165 lbs), or perhaps because of it, I have the unnerving ability to generate body impressions in a mattress.  I'm hoping a quality latex mattress will withstand my ferocious dead weight longer than 3 months, which is the length of time our most recent $1,000 inner-spring Serta mattress lasted before starting to cave under my hulk-like sleeping pressure. 

Many thanks for any information or advice.

Re: Latex mattress vendors in greater Boston area?
Reply #4 Aug 13, 2013 10:18 AM
I thought that this list should be updated since some of the companies listed on here are no longer in business or carrying different products. These are in no particular order.

• Spindle Mattress (Acton).  Offers great value using latex made in the US.  They're queen latex mattress is only $799 for 9" of latex with free shipping.
  • The Organic Mattress (Sudbury).  High quality organic mattresses at a reasonable. They carry WJ Southard's natural latex mattress and Green Sleep... Looking to spend $20k on a mattress? They have Vi-Spring, but it doesn't have latex inside of it.
  • Boston Bed Company (6 locations around Boston)  Make a hybrid mattress using polyurethane foam, pocket springs, and 2" of latex. Good price with a queen starting at $749.99
  • The Cleanbedroom (Wellesley) Wide selection of organic mattresses; Savvy Rest, OrganicPedic, Green Sleep, RoyalPedic, Sleeptek.  Call before you go make sure which models they have on display.
  • Jordans.  Carries Natura, PranaSleep, and a private label hybrid using 6" of polyurethane foam for $857 for a queen mattress.
  • Gardner Mattress (Salem, Newton, & Woburn) They make a good quality mattress and have been doing it since the 30s.  They're wicked old.
This message was modified Aug 15, 2013 by longfellow

Recent Posts