Latex mattress information overload
Jul 25, 2012 2:03 PM
We tried a Savvy Rest mattress over the weekend and really liked it.  The suggestion for a soft/med/firm was made for me since I am a side sleeper primarily and med/firm/firm for my husband who sleeps on his back.  I personally like the Talalay on top and my husband liked the Dunlop medium which was recommended although he thought it could be firmer.  We've also been shopping around on the internet and have focused on two companies, highly recommended here, SleepEZ and Flobeds.  I spoke to both Shawn at Sleep Ez and Dewey at Flobeds.  The same configuration was suggested by Shawn at Sleep EZ as was given to us by Savvy Rest and we could mix and match either Talalay or Dunlop.  Flobeds however only uses Talalay so their configuration would be a Med/Firm for me and Firm on XF for my husband and they were pushing the Vzone bed based on our sizes (avg) and how we sleep.  The other option would be to go with the deluxe.  They also offer a Talalay blend and $200 discount if we chose that, regardless of model.  If we were to go with the deluxe, it would be a similar configuration to what SleepEz gave us.  Both seemed very knowledgeable.  The price difference is several hundred dollars more with Flobeds.  While the Savvy Rest product is nice, we don't have allergies and while it's nice to be green, you definiltely pay for it.

1.  Will a latex mattress work on a platform bed that has 2 1/2" between slats with no foundation?

2.  I understand the concepts of having zones to relieve pressure points and keep within spine alignment etc but over time will certain layers wear quicker than others?  The concept sounds nice but somewhat gimmicky

3.  Advantages of having an all talalay mattress vs talalay top mixed with dunlop core?  My thinking is that having the Dunlop core may be more firm and hold up better over time.  Flobeds claims it only uses talalay as they have found its a more consistent product (uniformity wise).  Sleepez advocates the blended talalay as having greater durability.  The only reason to get 100% talalay is if you want your product to be green.  Would having an all talalay bed be a littler softer as opposed to mixing dunlop & talalay?

4.  Since my husband is a back sleeper, I don't necessarily know if he would like the convuluted one piece topper that Flobeds provides but I definitely would.  Any thoughts?

5.  Concerned about the split in the middle given we are configuring each side based on our specs.  Seems like it may be less of an issue with Flobeds since they have the topper.   Over time, does a split mattress sag in the middle?

Thanks everyone.  This forum has been so helpful.  It's so hard to try to buy something like this online.

Re: Latex mattress information overload
Reply #4 Aug 2, 2012 1:55 AM
I agree that all the information out there about latex mattresses can be overwhelming.

We were told that you don't want more than a couple inches between slats, so you might want to consider a solid foundation. Our local mattress manufacturer sold us a bunky board along with the mattress that works great and doesn't add much height. 

Good luck!

This message was modified Aug 2, 2012 by a moderator

Recent Posts