Latex mattress information overload
Jul 25, 2012 2:03 PM
We tried a Savvy Rest mattress over the weekend and really liked it.  The suggestion for a soft/med/firm was made for me since I am a side sleeper primarily and med/firm/firm for my husband who sleeps on his back.  I personally like the Talalay on top and my husband liked the Dunlop medium which was recommended although he thought it could be firmer.  We've also been shopping around on the internet and have focused on two companies, highly recommended here, SleepEZ and Flobeds.  I spoke to both Shawn at Sleep Ez and Dewey at Flobeds.  The same configuration was suggested by Shawn at Sleep EZ as was given to us by Savvy Rest and we could mix and match either Talalay or Dunlop.  Flobeds however only uses Talalay so their configuration would be a Med/Firm for me and Firm on XF for my husband and they were pushing the Vzone bed based on our sizes (avg) and how we sleep.  The other option would be to go with the deluxe.  They also offer a Talalay blend and $200 discount if we chose that, regardless of model.  If we were to go with the deluxe, it would be a similar configuration to what SleepEz gave us.  Both seemed very knowledgeable.  The price difference is several hundred dollars more with Flobeds.  While the Savvy Rest product is nice, we don't have allergies and while it's nice to be green, you definiltely pay for it.

1.  Will a latex mattress work on a platform bed that has 2 1/2" between slats with no foundation?

2.  I understand the concepts of having zones to relieve pressure points and keep within spine alignment etc but over time will certain layers wear quicker than others?  The concept sounds nice but somewhat gimmicky

3.  Advantages of having an all talalay mattress vs talalay top mixed with dunlop core?  My thinking is that having the Dunlop core may be more firm and hold up better over time.  Flobeds claims it only uses talalay as they have found its a more consistent product (uniformity wise).  Sleepez advocates the blended talalay as having greater durability.  The only reason to get 100% talalay is if you want your product to be green.  Would having an all talalay bed be a littler softer as opposed to mixing dunlop & talalay?

4.  Since my husband is a back sleeper, I don't necessarily know if he would like the convuluted one piece topper that Flobeds provides but I definitely would.  Any thoughts?

5.  Concerned about the split in the middle given we are configuring each side based on our specs.  Seems like it may be less of an issue with Flobeds since they have the topper.   Over time, does a split mattress sag in the middle?

Thanks everyone.  This forum has been so helpful.  It's so hard to try to buy something like this online.

Re: Latex mattress information overload
Reply #1 Jul 26, 2012 9:48 AM
Gavsmompa wrote:

We tried a Savvy Rest mattress over the weekend and really liked it.  The suggestion for a soft/med/firm was made for me since I am a side sleeper primarily and med/firm/firm for my husband who sleeps on his back.  I personally like the Talalay on top and my husband liked the Dunlop medium which was recommended although he thought it could be firmer.  We've also been shopping around on the internet and have focused on two companies, highly recommended here, SleepEZ and Flobeds.  I spoke to both Shawn at Sleep Ez and Dewey at Flobeds.  The same configuration was suggested by Shawn at Sleep EZ as was given to us by Savvy Rest and we could mix and match either Talalay or Dunlop.  Flobeds however only uses Talalay so their configuration would be a Med/Firm for me and Firm on XF for my husband and they were pushing the Vzone bed based on our sizes (avg) and how we sleep.  The other option would be to go with the deluxe.  They also offer a Talalay blend and $200 discount if we chose that, regardless of model.  If we were to go with the deluxe, it would be a similar configuration to what SleepEz gave us.  Both seemed very knowledgeable.  The price difference is several hundred dollars more with Flobeds.  While the Savvy Rest product is nice, we don't have allergies and while it's nice to be green, you definiltely pay for it.

1.  Will a latex mattress work on a platform bed that has 2 1/2" between slats with no foundation?

2.  I understand the concepts of having zones to relieve pressure points and keep within spine alignment etc but over time will certain layers wear quicker than others?  The concept sounds nice but somewhat gimmicky

3.  Advantages of having an all talalay mattress vs talalay top mixed with dunlop core?  My thinking is that having the Dunlop core may be more firm and hold up better over time.  Flobeds claims it only uses talalay as they have found its a more consistent product (uniformity wise).  Sleepez advocates the blended talalay as having greater durability.  The only reason to get 100% talalay is if you want your product to be green.  Would having an all talalay bed be a littler softer as opposed to mixing dunlop & talalay?

4.  Since my husband is a back sleeper, I don't necessarily know if he would like the convuluted one piece topper that Flobeds provides but I definitely would.  Any thoughts?

5.  Concerned about the split in the middle given we are configuring each side based on our specs.  Seems like it may be less of an issue with Flobeds since they have the topper.   Over time, does a split mattress sag in the middle?

Thanks everyone.  This forum has been so helpful.  It's so hard to try to buy something like this online.

I'll take a stab at it:

1.  Ask the mattress maker.  I think the mattress will span the 2.5" but it could also push in a bit.  You could lay a coco fiber mat of similar to stiffen the transition.  Or fill the spacing to 1+", if feasible.

2.  I feel zones could work but complicates the equation.  Would be simpler to get the mattress as right as possible without zones.  I would not consider Latex wear... it is suppose to last qute a while.

3.  Talalay is suppose to be more consistent and can be sourced from the US.  Dunlop comes from many sources abroad, and is more suitable for the core.  I went with all LI Talalay blended just to get consistent durable product from a known US maker.  The production/curing of Latex affects its longevity... LI Talalay appears to be well manufactured, partly due to the Talalay process vs. the Dunlop process.

4.  The 2" topper probably does not upset the mattress support.  Being convoluted makes it more like 1" and improves air circulation.  The top comfort layer(s) aids contouring for the side sleeper and would only hammock a back sleeper (if that) which should not be a problem.  The back sleeper will want the firm core support to be there regardless of the topper.

5.  My only experience with split cores was folding our queen 3" core layers in half to try all of one ILD on a side.  With the top 3" layer still spanning the fold, we didn't notice the split cores below except one side was firmer than the other.  We have 3x3" 28-36-44 LI blended Talalay.

I suspect good Latex will wear well... not sag so much as perhaps change firmness a bit over the years.  Latex foam rubber is very resilient!

GK

Reply #2 Jul 27, 2012 9:04 AM
Gavsmompa wrote:

I would like to suggest you here for using a ¼" of plyboard over existing slats to help form a solid foundation without gaps for your mattress. The other idea was to use a second set of slats and place them in between the existing slat system to fill in the gaps and make the foundation more solid. The idea presented here will hopefully give you an excellent starting point in converting your existing bed system into one that will work with your new latex mattress.

Reply #3 Jul 29, 2012 5:12 PM
You should definitely ask the manufacturer what is the best foundation for your specific mattress. Slats are actually better for some mattresses because the air flow is beneficial, but it depends on the size of the mattress, space of the slots, and possibly also the type of latex. I would have used my slat foundation, but because I want to use an adjustable base (s-scape), I'm not doing to use the slats when my new base arrives.. There is actually a wooden slatted adjustable base (European made) for those who want that. That would have some great advantages as a base but would not have the massage or wall hugger feature of the leggett and platt s-scape.

savvyrest.com recommends dunlop instead of talalay for people with back problems. they have good info on their site for choosing the type and firmness of latex, though i don't see them list the ILD which would be helpful for comparison.

Reply #4 Aug 2, 2012 1:55 AM
I agree that all the information out there about latex mattresses can be overwhelming.

We were told that you don't want more than a couple inches between slats, so you might want to consider a solid foundation. Our local mattress manufacturer sold us a bunky board along with the mattress that works great and doesn't add much height. 

Good luck!

This message was modified Aug 2, 2012 by a moderator

Recent Posts