Latex - getting it right?
Sep 15, 2010 3:45 PM
Hello all,

Have read this forum for several months and have learned a lot. Recently took the plunge and bought a 3 layer zip cover 100% natural talalay configuration on a wood platform with slats about 2 1/2 inches apart. Have invested more than 2K so far in this setup.

The problem is that I can't find a layer arrangement that works. I've learned that I need a soft layer up top or I wake with muscle pain, but then it gives me back pain. The firmer configurations also cause back pain. I do not ordinarily suffer from back pain, so it is definitely from the mattress. I did not buy from flo beds so cannot try their zoned approach.  I weigh less than 120 lbs.

My last best bed was an old spring air back supporter. I believe they were made with extra springs in the middle, or a different spring configuration to support the middle of the body, lower back and hips. It was a wonderful bed and they just don't make them like that anymore, as you all know. I researched an enormous amount to find a modern equivalent to the old spring air but couldn't find anything that was the same or even similar.  Supposedly some of the innersprings now put extra reinforcement in the middle with extra foam instead of wiring, but I couldn't really confirm that.  Also, with the new innersprings, there are a lot of offgassing issues, in fact I bought an S brand and had to return it due to the horrible odor that it had, and I have spoken with others who had the same problems. I also tried a cotton innerspring which was very uncomfortable, my husband said it felt like sleeping on the ground outside.

So, I turned to latex, as they felt great in the mattress stores, but am not having much luck here with them at home.

So what I am wondering is, perhaps the problem with latex is that each slab is the same consistency throughout, in other words, there is no extra reinforcement in the back area. So,

1) For those of you that switched to a ZONED latex, did it greatly improve the comfort and support in the back area?

2) Or has anyone found the right combination of softness on top-firmness for the back that they would recommend in latex or other combinations?

3) Or has anyone been happy recently with a comfortable yet supportive innerspring?

thanks!

This message was modified Sep 17, 2010 by jasmine
Re: Latex - getting it right?
Reply #43 Oct 27, 2010 7:21 PM
On a roll now (laughing).

Of course there are other considerations to take into account when purchasing a mattress than the few I have mentioned in the last two posts. Some of these are subjective and some of these are objective.

Some of these issues include the more subjective feeling that comes from sleeping "in" a mattress or sleeping "on" a mattress (assuming they both have a good combination of pressure relief  and spinal alignment). This feeling in many cases has to do with the ability to change positions (more objective) and the feeling of "freedom" and "space" (more subjective) that is important to each person. This is also connected to heat issues ("in" is generally hotter and "on" is generally cooler depending also on materials of course) and breathability issues (both in the objective quality of materials used and the subjective perception of an individual). In the same way that some people need more space than others, some people like to be cradled more than others. In the same way some people are more "hugging" and physical closeness type of people, some need more space and distance and less physical contact. This of course is also connected to motion transference and its different levels of importance to different people.

Another very important consideration to some people is the level of "naturalness" in a material. Some of this is about offgassing and physical harm that may be caused by some materials (more objective) and also about the peace of mind that comes from knowing that they are more in harmony with their environment (more subjective).

What is even more interesting is how peoples' feelings and beliefs ABOUT their mattress (or anything else) can contribute to their ability to sleep well. This is very connected to what has been called "the placebo effect". There is a great deal of research now being done (and this is a field I have been very involved with on a professional level) that indicates very clearly that this effect is much more objective than was previously thought and that it's "imaginary" qualities are not so imaginary after all. There are also many more indications that this effect is not only caused by the effect of people's minds on their biochemical processes (as in positive thinking or belief releases beneficial biochemicals that help in certain "conditions") but that there are other more "objective" processes involved. The whole "placebo effect" is being completely re-evaluated as to what it really is and how it can be utilized in different ways. Subjectivity in other words is a much more objective process than was previously thought and is not simply about the effect of certain beliefs/thoughts/perceptions on biochemical or other individual physical processes and experiences.

What this means in terms of a mattress is that how people feel about what is in their mattress, why they chose it, and what they believe are the beneficial qualities of these materials for them, can lead to REAL differences in the perception of comfort and support and in the ability to sleep deeply, healthfully, and restfully, even outside of the objective qualities of the materials and/or construction of the mattress itself.

This is one of many fascinating areas of research that is of course directly leading to changing ideas in many areas of our experience and wellbeing ... most of them outside the scope of this forum (smiling).

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #44 Oct 27, 2010 7:22 PM
Yes, spinal alignment and weight distribution are key.  I think that is particularily difficult for side sleepers to optimize, since a lot of weight is in two areas.  How do you distribute the weight with that situation especially on a flat surface?    Of course the right firmness foams allow enough sinking in to help distribute the weight.  Luckily, that can also help with spinal alignment, since the areas sticking out need to sink in further.   To a certain extent, zoning (difference firmness under different parts)  might help.  Possibly a non-flat sleeping surface might help as well, but that could raise other issues.

Two other important variables are feel and temperature.  Some people love to sink in, some hate it.  So, it is possible to have the spine and weight distribution pretty good, but you still might not be happy with the overall feel. 

The use of materials and softness also affect the temperature.  Changing things to deal with that affects the other variables. 

So, it is very complicated to get it "right", and there are infinite combinations.  Fortunately, most people have a range in which they can sleep okay.

I notice that you have gone to an approach that has a lot of depth in soft/medium to medium firmness.   You are not using anything real soft (below 20) or real firm (above 30).  That is an approach that most have not tried.  I wonder if it would work for more people? 

I would also note that there is a wide variety in memory foam, and little data on how they perform.  That is one thing nice about latex - it is more uniform and easier to know the characterstics (if you stay with the major producers).

This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by sandman
Reply #45 Oct 27, 2010 8:58 PM
"I notice that you have gone to an approach that has a lot of depth in soft/medium to medium firmness.   You are not using anything real soft (below 20) or real firm (above 30).  That is an approach that most have not tried.  I wonder if it would work for more people?"

I believe that this is part of the reason why there are many people who are happy with just a single core of latex wrapped with cottton/wool or similar. In these cases the qualities of the single layer itself have a wide enough range and "response curve"  to provide both comfort and support in all their sleeping positions without any layering required. It is also part of the reason that I chose the layers that I did (in terms of ild, thickness, and natural/blended) and why they were both so close together even though it is far less common.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 27, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #46 Oct 29, 2010 12:17 PM
Phoenix, interesting posts!

Yes, I agree that spinal alignment is important. I noticed on some of the latex layer combos I tried that my spine was not straight, and with others, it was. (took pictures, used a yardstick, and kept a diary sad to say in my quest to find the perfect latex config) However, surprisingly, it turned out that spinal alignment was not necessarily an indicator of whether the configuration would hurt my spine or not.

My old spring air backsupporter was the perfect fit, because of the zoning, supportiveness and comfort, not only for me, but for anyone else that slept on it. We had 2, one in the guest room, and guests, male, female, old, young, .... would invariably comment "that is the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on." It not only felt great from the first moment I laid on it, it actually made one feel better.  Hence my search to find out what the specs were for that old bed, to perhaps have a custom bed maker try to duplicate it.  Barring that, I'm starting from scratch to find something else.

Mattresses are such an individual thing, but I do think that there are some basic qualities that most, but not all,  people would agree are comfortable or not, and then we have our individual preferences. The spouse and I both experienced that one mattress we tried felt like sleeping on rocks, and one hurt our backs. Latex may not be for everyone, although to me, they feel heavenly in the mattress store, but over time, say a full night, I am very aware of the push back effect and feel like it is annoying. Also tried putting regular pu foam, a fiber bed or a wool pad on top.

It is sad that I have had more luck sleeping on the floor than on any of the mattresses I have tried recently. I didn't want to get a PhD in mattresses when I first went looking for a new mattress, but I never dreamed it would be this difficult. At this point, I just want a bed that doesn't make me feel worse than I did when I went to sleep.

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by jasmine
Reply #47 Oct 29, 2010 2:36 PM
Wow, what a search you have been on! I only hope that it leads to finding exactly what you want and need.

You made a few very interesting comments in your post which may be clues as to the "why" behind the what. As you mentioned, what we sleep on has so many variables involved that it is sometimes almost impossible (without the use of "luck" which is another interesting discussion) to get it right using only objective methods. All the yardsticks and pictures in the world can't deal with every one of these (smiling). It may be true that you can increase your odds ... sometimes even dramatically ... by including methods like this but there are also people like yourself and others where what "usually works" for a larger majority doesn't work individually.

The first clue in your post was that you were "more comfortable" sleeping on the floor. I know you didn't mean this was your ideal but that it was true in comparison to the "other beds" you have tried. The clue here is that possibly "range of movement" ... in combination with other factors is an important part of your perfect bed. The floor and innersprings both do not allow as great a range of movement (in up or down terms) as latex and for some this could very well be an issue. What I mean here is that while latex may allow for a much greater range of positions in which you are "aligned", for some this range and the spinal flex that this "allows for" may be an issue in itself more important than actual alignment. If someone's back for instance was "less flexible" than most or for any reason was more sensitive to "change" than "alignment", the greater range of "change" allowed by latex, while a benefit to most, may be a detriment to these people. This change would not just happen when someone changed positions but also when any movement caused part of the body to "try" to sink in more. The greater flex allowed for by latex may also have a cumulative effect over the course of a night (in the same way that bending in a certain way once may be no problem but doing it many times may lead to problems)

The second clue was that you mentioned that everyone that slept on the spring air made the same comments. It is unlikely that it was objectively perfect for every one of them or even would have been a perfect choice for most of them in the long term and yet the feedback seemed to say something different. This is similar to comments often heard about certain hotel beds and how "perfect" they are in comparison to what some people are used to sleeping on. This may be partly connected with the mattress itself of course (and almost certainly is) but it may also be saying as much about you and the environment you have created for your guests as it says about the bed itself. This is connected to my third post about subjective factors and their effect on objective factors.

Part of the "joy of living" (laughing) is that every one of us to differing degrees sees patterns where others (and even most) don't, or doesn't see patterns where others (and even most) do. This is an important part of individuality and the individual/environmental interaction that leads to creativity and unique expression. When what we see, experience, or believe falls "out of the norm" many of us have little trust in our own perceptions and give more credit and "power" to consensus thinking than we do to our own unique experience.

In short, my heart goes out to you because no matter what the reason you haven't yet found the mate to the spring air, what is clear is that you trust your own perceptions enough to know that what you are looking for is important. Once you find the quality that is the primary underlying "why" for you ... your search may become much easier ... but finding the underlying why is not always so easy ... and can take you far afield in some cases (smiling). This journey "far afield" may end up being just as important as the outcome itself.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #48 Oct 29, 2010 2:58 PM
Phoenix,

I agree that firm is not necessarily better. Too firm beds can be uncomfortable too. The reason why I thought I would need firmer was that softer didn't work either. One of my original configs was ild's between 20 and 30 as well, wish it had worked but didn't.

I'm not looking for the perfect mattress at this point, just one that doesn't cause pain. I've given up on perfect. For someone who doesn't suffer from back pain to acquire back pain from a mattress, is unacceptable and unnecesary.....but that has been my experience so far.

To  your point about patterns, I am learning specifically what it is that I like, just can't find it yet.  

To read mattress reviews on the web, it seems that most beds today are pretty shoddy, they are made to only last a few years and as many folks have found out, sometimes don't even last a few weeks. Mattress makers don't want folks out of the market for 20 years anymore, like with the older 2 sided beds. They want you to have to replace your bed often. Not sure how old you might be, but bed buying used to take about 5 minutes. And were far more comfortable than the mattresses today. 

So I am trying to learn exactly what the differences were.... different construction methods????etc. It seems to be the consensus on this forum that cheap foam is one of the differences between then and now, and that is certainly the case. There were surely some other variables that  were important as well. Hand tying, different ways of attaching the layers to the springs?  I'd love to hone in on what exactly made the old ones different (and better!) than the new. If there are any old mattress makers on the board, love to hear from you!

As far as the latex experiment, I've had latex pillows for years and LOVE them, which is why I thought a latex bed would be wonderful.  Your idea of the amount of flex is an interesting one and definitely something for me to consider.  I appreciate your ideas...

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by jasmine
Reply #49 Oct 29, 2010 8:17 PM
You know I've had your "situation" running in the back of my mind today and an idea just popped up from nowhere so I thought I'd post it here for what it's worth.

The idea was to use an "innerspring insulator" type of material in between two top layers of latex (which was both giving and firmer) to sort of help someone "sink in with a wider/shallower curve" in the deeper layers. In theory it would make the latex a little more like an innerspring which has a shallower "response curve". Since innerspring insulators seem hard to find for sale, I looked at other options similar to some of the weaves you can find here http://www.sisalcarpet.com/viewcategory.php?tag=Premium-Sisal

These ones look a little expensive (although the seagrass is only about $25 / yard which would be under $100 for a queen size) but you get the idea.

With the shallower sinking in curve, the more pointed parts of the body wouldn't sink in quite as much or as "point specifically" and reduce the amount of "change in curvature" in the spine but you would keep most of the benefits of latex in both the upper and lower layers.

So the "setup" would have something like 3" of latex over the insulator over one or two more layers of latex. Different materials and thicknesses could provide either more or less "give" and firmness but it seemed to me it could be another way to "customize" a mattress with thin woven layers for a specific need or application. Of course a thin (say one inch or less) layer of ultra firm latex as the second layer (or even something like rubberized coir or a dense wool puddle pad) would also accomplish something similar but probably not to the same degree.

I wonder if anyone has played with this and what their experiences were like. It certainly made me curious about how it could change the qualities of a latex mattress and if it would make any difference in situations such as yours.

Phoenix

This message was modified Oct 29, 2010 by Phoenix
Reply #50 Oct 30, 2010 6:46 PM
I came across this in my wanderings and while I know you have seen some of the current Spring Airs and they are not like what you had, I thought I'd post this just in case one of these models is closer to the one that you had. They have some specs on the site and the same coil systems (coil count anyway) that Gunman was referring to.  http://yourcomfortmattress.com/queen-mattress-sets.html

Phoenix

Reply #51 Nov 1, 2010 6:26 PM
phoenix,

thanks so much for your suggestions and your efforts. i will consider those. saw your thread and posted on it, i hope you have continued success with your mattress. it is such a relief when you finally get it right!

This message was modified Nov 1, 2010 by jasmine

Recent Posts