Latex Mattress Q's
Jun 5, 2011 10:46 PM
Hi, I'm new around here! Sorry for the long post..

I'm currently using a 10-15(not sure exactly, I've used it for 7) year old innerspring mattress, and it has started to sag a bit in the middle. Also, it's rather...noisey.

I'm thinking about getting a latex mattress, but I'm not sure what to buy. My budget is about $1,000 for a queen sized, preferably all latex. My initial thought was the ikea sultan erfjord, but I'm not sure about it's quality (seeing how it's from ikea). I also haven't been able to find much in the way of reviews by people who have owned it for a long period of time.

I also checked out various mattress stores, but either I'm not sure if I'm getting a good mattress (yeah, sleepys, give me a 50% discount on everything...) or it was way out of my price range (2,000-5,000 for a queen)

I'm not opposed to a DIY solution from FBM or other company, but I'm not sure what all I'd need. I'd guess I'd need to grab a core and a topper of some sort, which from FBM would run me about $900, but I'm not really in the market for major customization, I don't need different softness on different sides, or anything complex. Just a little on the firm side thank you.

I'm also not opposed to an online mattress if it's in the price range and has a 'money-back' return policy (instead of just an 'exchange' one). I was thinking something from http://latexmattressshop.com/ would work, since they have a 60 day refund policy, I'm not sure a warranty after the first month really matters (since they're mostly pro-rated or won't cover the problem anyway)

In non-latex mattresses, I've tried out the keetsa cloud mattress in their store, and it was fairly comfortable, but I couldn't seem to find any long-term reviews on how it holds up (and since it's memory foam I have my doubts). I tend to be a little warmer than average sleeping, which is another negative to memory foam (for me). Lots of people on yelp seem to love keetsa, however.

Any suggestions/help would be welcome.

Re: Latex Mattress Q's
Reply #13 Jun 7, 2011 9:01 PM
soliq wrote:

In a related question: Any suggestions on platform bed frames? Something that isn't going to creak/fall apart (I've read ikea frames have a horrible time with the slats falling out) but still stays in the $300-500 price range? (a little higher is fine, since I'm spending less on the mattress than I had budgeted)

Take a look at the Nomad, with a headboard it's called the Charleston, it seems simple but sturdy. I would add a 4 x 8 sheet of pegboard to make it perfectly smooth but still allow air to circulate.  The Home Depot or similar can rip it the long way when you buy it. There are matching nightstands and under bed storage drawers if you want to accessorize. 

The firm/medium question is 100% subjective, if you could try both products side by side at FBM under a 2" soft topper you could probably decide fairly quickly what you like and not have to buy that extra 2" layer. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum FBM claims people would have a tough time telling the two apart; might be worth giving them a call.

Talalay latex is arguably higher quality than Dunlop process latex, probably indistinguishable in the base layer with the caveat it may "feel" approximately 5-10 ILD firmer than the Talalay product.  Unfortunately, the APM 6" Dunlop core is $70-$80 more than the 6" FBM Talalay core.

Reply #14 Jun 7, 2011 9:58 PM
Take a look at this SleepEZ sale http://sleepez.com/latex-mattress-sale.htm I'm considering this mattress with the 2" talalay topper. Seems like a good value. I started another thread asking for opinions on this but no response yet.
Reply #15 Jun 8, 2011 12:04 AM
From what I've been able to determine FBM sources their latex from "Europe" and will not give a more specific answer than that.

I looked at the sleepez one, but that would be $300-400 more than FBM, I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money, or if they're pretty much the same and I'm just paying for a brand name/green manufacturing/whatever. Or am I forgetting anything in my cost calculation for FBM? I have the included cover (terrycloth), 6" foam, 2" foam. Do I need to add a mattress pad/fire retardant/anything that'd bring the prices closer?

Thanks for the suggestion on the nomad bed frame...I'll have to think about getting it and staining it a darker color (so it doesn't look quite so unfinished)

Reply #16 Jun 8, 2011 2:35 AM
You can probably get an inexpensive cover for the wooden frame.  Take a look at the <a href="http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/my-foambymail-diy-mattress-report-pictures/19412-0-1.html">DIY with pictures thread</a>.  Perhaps someone here has ordered from both SleepEZ and FBM and can make some comments on the latex.  Only you can decide if you want the brand X latex or a brand name latex.  I have not read anything on this forum that would indicate which one is better or which will last longer.  The recent purchased of FBM seem to be happy with their pieces of latex: not ripped, dirty, stinky, etc.  APM Dunlop latex seems to be made by Latex Green, which is one of the major sellers.  APM has a 30 day money back guarantee.  I think I read that someone had called them and they offered to put together a custom mattress.

Also, I am not sure that Talalay is more durable than Dunlop.  I think that topic is hotly debated.  I expect that there are lots of other factors that can influence latex quality than simply what process is used.  I think the only definitive thing I have read is that soft Talalay can be made softer than Dunlop, but that really soft Talalay won't last as long.

This message was modified Jun 9, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #17 Jun 8, 2011 3:32 AM
Doh!  Hit a link and lost my reply before I posted it :-(

I know you put the smiley in there but....

A mattress is an investment and it's a lot of money.  I commend people for doing a lot of reading and research and asking questions.  I spent a month doing leg work including reading about a years worth of this forum, googling and reading the online mattress store info.  It takes time to digest the information and try to figure out who to believe (don't believe me; I'm dumb enough to share my bed with three cats who take up more room than I do!).

The latex mattress industry is still a niche market and the best options and deals are to be had by purchasing site unseen online.  This web site is truly one of a kind and has a wealth of information with personal experience with mattresses and some of the more popular online vendors.  Hopefully it will prevent people from being penny wise and pound foolish.  No one wants to purchase a mattress and then have to spend a great deal more $$ to make it usable.

Even if you want to go the online route, it is worth the effort to try to find a local vendor and try out various latex beds.

Best advice: Buy a mattress from a vendor who provides a 30/60/90 day full refund (less shipping) if you are not fully satisfied.

This message was modified Jun 8, 2011 by a moderator
Reply #18 Jun 8, 2011 9:51 AM
Another low cost option is this ebay seller. Has factory seconds from sleepEZ and other etailers, covers, and frames:

http://stores.ebay.com/mattresses247

Reply #19 Jun 8, 2011 10:48 PM
I've actually gone to about 6 or 7 different mattress stores and tried out various mattresses. In terms of comfort in the store, latex and foam were the best, but I'm fairly sure that foam will only be comfortable for 6-9 months for, basically, the same price as latex. I'm thinking that I'll do the FBM setup, since it comes in well under sleepez, people here have had success with them, and I'm not convinced whatever quality difference there is is worth $400.

Do I need to buy any kind of fire retardant mattress cover for FBM, or does the terrycloth one that comes with the mattress work?

Reply #20 Jun 8, 2011 11:13 PM
Every latex mattress I have seen for sale online comes with some type of "fire retardent"ness.  The altex mattresses generally come with a cotton cover that also has wool quilted into it. Some have wool just on the top, but I've seen others that have wool on the sides as well.  A latex bed is heavy and has a high fuel load.  With DIY mattress, there are no such rules. You could invest in a wool moisture barrier/puddle pad that may provide some protection.  I haven't really seen any pad marketed just for it's fire protection.
Reply #21 Jun 8, 2011 11:41 PM
sleepswithcats wrote:

My personal experience test driving latex was that I tried Savvy Rest Firm Firm Medium in both Talalay and Dunlop and I couldn't tell any difference.  Don't quote me here, but I think the same ILD for Talalay and Dunlop do not feel the same, with Talalay feeling softer.  Either you can search for the data or possibly someone like Phoenix or Budgy will know what the corresponding ILDs are in Talalay and Dunlop for the different firm, soft, etc.

Talalay is usually more expensive.  I don't know the source of FBM latex.  Perhaps someone with experience with FBM knows.  Or you could call and ask where they get their latex.

I can't speak from personal experience on this question, and a lot of folks on this forum are happy with their FBM purchases. Still, someone previously noted that FBM apparently sells seconds and doesn't label them as such (see, e.g., the link below). The variety of their sources would account for the occasional variabilities that have been reported on this forum from time to time. Just a heads up for inquiring minds.

http://www.whatsthebest-mattress.com/forum/post.php?p=14558&q=1

Recent Posts