Latex Mattress Help
Feb 27, 2009 5:50 PM
Hello, my husband and I are in desperate need of a new mattress. I have been doing lots of research and have decided on latex. (which I had never heard of prior to reading this site!). I have seen the reviews by people for SleepEz and FloBeds. I have also visited local stores and found that Aireloom and Sealy have latex mattresses (luxury latex and SpringFree). They have a latex core and mixed latex and foam. It is nice to be able to see the mattress and experience it as opposed to ordering it online. I am wondering if anyone has experience with Aireloom, Sealy or Englander latex mattresses. There does not seem to be a huge amount of review info on them. I just want to make the best decision possible and hopefully get something that will last for a while. It is a little difficult for me to order a mattress online without having seen or felt it first. (I am 5'8" and 190 lbs. and my husband is 5'9" and 220lbs. - in case that matters ) Thanks! :)
Re: Latex Mattress Help
Reply #6 Feb 28, 2009 7:16 PM
Bill -- I'm really tired of reading about waterbeds too, but I have no problem with Cameron's post because I'm interested in learning about local mattress companies and I didn't find his marketing message to be pushy at all, though I agree that he didn't answer the question that pmacgmorris posted.   I honestly wish there was a local company making quality mattresses in my area. In fact, I can't even find anyplace to try out a real latex mattress. I'm in the Albany, NY area and the only mattresses available around here are the usual S companies, etc.   I even visited a local upholstery supply company that sells different types of foam, but when I asked about a  latex mattress (which was listed in their catalog as a special order item), they looked at me cross-eyed and basically brushed me off.  It's so frustrating. Recognizing the durability problems of mattresses that have cheap PU foam, pillowtops, etc.,  it would be nice to know if any of the name brand mattresses have the same initial feel as the DIY mattress that you built or the Flobeds/Sleepez mattresses that others have purchased. Thanks.
Reply #7 Mar 1, 2009 5:49 AM
imjay wrote:

Not trying to hijack your Latex thread ...

But you always do! Give it a rest already and stop using every opportunity to sell waterbeds... whether anyone asked about them or not....
Reply #8 Mar 1, 2009 6:03 AM
Cameron wrote:
Customers who have bought a mattress built using Talalay latex tell us that they enjoy a restful night’s sleep and wake up feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

Hey Cameron, have any of your customers who bought Talalay latex mattresses told you that they woke up with the absolute worst backache of their lives and can't sleep on the thing no matter what they do, 'cause quite a few posters on this Forum have had that reaction. Talalay latex is not the be-all end-all of bedding materials. In fact there is no one sleep surface that suits everyone's preference or orthopedic requirements.  Some people will do better on Dunlop latex because it is denser and more supportive at softer ILDs than Talalay.

Reply #9 Mar 1, 2009 11:26 AM
I want to apologize for my post here yesterday. It was inappropriate and didn't belong. I have edited the original post. Its certainly not up to me to determine what should or shouldn't be on here. Certainly, sometimes others posts bring up a reaction, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt like this. But I think we have to let this just be OK.

I can only really tell my own experience of things, which is what I attempt to do most of the time.  And that's what I will do in the future - and it will be limited to mattress talk.

Bill

Reply #10 Mar 1, 2009 1:43 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice / help. We have been trying some latex mattresses out in specialty stores to see how they feel. It is a lot to digest and I just don't want to buy something that I regret in a year! I appreciate everyone's post on the topic and research will continue.
Reply #11 Mar 2, 2009 2:39 PM
Bill, No apology is necessary in my opinion. You said what I wanted to. Jim was probably okay in his opinion, we all have opinions on what we have experienced. But I disagree about it is okay to accept salesmen here, we shouldn't accept that. I don't want to hear salesmen here

I am not sure I agree with Jim about not being close to Latex. I think we all have opinions on what is comfortable, it is not right or wrong. I am still not sure if I want a layer to cover the latex, but then again I don't want holes from the latex imprinted on my skin.

My opinion on ready made mattresses from the "S' companies is I would NEVER buy from them again. I will make my own, thank you very much. I have wasted enough money on that garbage.

That is what this forum is for, opinions from people who are buy and sleeping on mattresses, not from sales people. My opinion..........
This message was modified Mar 2, 2009 by Leo3
Reply #12 Mar 2, 2009 2:48 PM
pmacgmorris wrote:
Thanks everyone for your advice / help. We have been trying some latex mattresses out in specialty stores to see how they feel. It is a lot to digest and I just don't want to buy something that I regret in a year! I appreciate everyone's post on the topic and research will continue.

Keep reading, researching, and keep us posted.

Recent Posts