Latex Bed With Spring Feel?
Feb 24, 2012 5:43 PM
Checking out several mattresses at stores, I find that I prefer the feel of spring mattresses with a latex topper. The Dux bed with the three zone Pascal system has been the best bed so far because my back really likes having then softer top section allowing my shoulders to sink deeper than my hips when sleeping on my side. Of course that is an $8000 mattress. I know there are several all latex mattresses that allow zones of hard/softness for much less money and the latex beds have a better reputation for durability at half the price. Is there a way an all latex bed can duplicate the feel of a spring bed with latex topper?

Thanks

Re: Latex Bed With Spring Feel?
Reply #1 Feb 25, 2012 12:25 AM
Hi Crock,

Depending on where you're located- look into Berkeley Ergonomics (European sleep) mattresses-- they have all latex but also coils with latex on top for under $4,000 for a king set with flex slats- better price than Dux anyway ;)

Reply #2 Feb 25, 2012 9:41 AM
An approach that's recommended here and elsewhere - get a good well-made coil mattress (could be zoned) with minimal padding on top, and add latex topper of your choice.  This approach offers maximm flexibility and ability to fine tune the set up to your needs - do you know the construction of the Dux?  If so you could try to reproduce that configuration.

In answer to your question - it depends on what exact models you're comparing, but in general -I dont think an all-latex bed is going to have the springiness of the average coil bed. However some coil beds have the coils buried so deep under the latex  - those would have a more comparable feel.

Im no expert- just someone trying to adjust to a new latex after 40 years on coil beds. Not sure I'm going to keep it...   there are things I love about it (sleeping surface is divine)... but other things, not so much (seem to sink in during the night- ever so slightly but I do feel it).  Its much springier than memory foam, but its still a foam. I definitely dont bounce out of bed like I used to. 

Reply #3 Mar 6, 2012 6:45 PM
Hi Dallasgirl,

How is the Berkeley Ergonomics mattress working out for you?  Please update us on what model you purchased.

Reply #4 Mar 13, 2012 12:10 AM
Hi Princess,

It's working out pretty well so far. We bought the Willow 'C' model- 6" of firm pocket coil springs + 2" of 'soft' 25 ILD talalay latex.

We started with the euroslats, but just didn't like them. I felt like they were bowing UP too much toward the ceiling and pushing me up with them and that I wasn't able to push them enough to cradle them down toward the floor. So- we swapped them out for the regular wood slat foundations, which we prefer- nice and flat. It's definitely less bouncy without the euroslats, but it's good. It's also firmer, which has me contemplating a very thin topper of some kind. Either ~1" of memory foam or maybe 1" of 20 ILD talalay latex. Just something to add a little extra cush without compromising the support.

All that said- no back pain. So, I am a happy kid for now!

Reply #5 Mar 16, 2012 2:23 AM
Who makes a zoned coil mattress other than Dux?
Reply #6 Mar 16, 2012 10:59 AM
When shopping I got the impression that a zoned coil mattress was a common (or at least not unusual) thing.  There was a zoned Sealy posturepedic at Sears that wasn't half bad although hard to say how it would be after a whole night.  Not that I'm recommending Sears.   Some of the manufacturer-direct places had them too. 

Recent Posts