Innerspring Mattress Recommendations PLEASE!
May 21, 2011 12:52 AM
My husband & I have been sleeping in different beds for way too long! He likes firm with lots of covers. I like softer and sleep hot with very few covers! I pretty much bounced around from bed to bed in our house, because of chronic low back pain and sleep issues. However, I just had spinal fusion surgery and am determined to get us back in ONE bed again! It has to be a king-sized bed because I am a restless sleeper, and now need even more room to roll-over. He is more in favor of a tradtional innerspring option. So just to get this ball rolling, that's OK with me. I haven't really found any great reviews on any standard mattress manufacturers of innersprings. I did think that I might opt for a medium-firm mattress without a pillow-top because as I recover, my needs might change along the way. Right now a very soft bed is not good for me (have to be a side-sleeper now), and I need a rather firm support to keep my spine in alignment when I take my back brace off.

Any words of wisdom, suggestions, brands, etc. that any of you could send my way would be HUGELY appreciated!

Re: Innerspring Mattress Recommendations PLEASE!
Reply #4 May 25, 2011 2:23 PM
I am one who needs some kind of springiness under latex, and my wife is even more so, so I can understand the dilemma of trying to find an innerspring mattress that might work.

I went through a number of inner spring mattresses years ago and found all of them lacking and returned them all. Nowadays most mattress stores charge around a 20% handling fee for comfort exchanges plus an extra delivery charge that may be around $100. So if you buy a $2000 bed that's around $500 cost to exchange it and most will not take a pure return, only an exchange.

That said, I must say I am leaning towards trying a Simmons mattress at this point. I used to hate them becuase I had one that became very uncomfortable in a short time. But in hindsight, I did move it around a lot and perhaps damaged the springs, plus it was a very low end model. I have been lookiing at both Simmons upper end (Anniversary and World Class lines) and at Stearns and Foster. Both used pocket coils. The problem with S&F is they have a lower coil count because they claim their Intellicoil" is 2 springs. But really it is just one, it is a spring within a spring but in my opinion it should still just count as one, thus their coil count is about 2/3 that of the better Simmons models.

If I were going to buy a mattress today I would probably buy a Simmons World Class or Anniversary line (ie; the top of their line, notwithstanding their stacked coil system which is just too over-priced). Stick with the single coil, not the stacked coils (one coil on top of the other).

I would also opt for one with little or no memory foam, but as much latex as you can get. I know they have a couple models with 1-2" of latex. It's synthetic latex but I figure it's better than PU foam.

When shopping for S mattresses be aware that many stores post the "suggested retail price" and that price is generally DOUBLE what you can get it for. Unfortunately shopping for a mattress is like shopping for a used car at some stores and you have to haggle them down to about half. Be prepared to walk out. Shop around and while the names of the mattresses are different from store to store, Simmons "Anniversary" and "World Class" lines are the same from store to store. Ask the salesman to show you the stats from their specifications book so you know they aren't lying about the coil density. Coil count is the actual # of coils in a Queen and Coil density is the number of coils that would be in a Queen IF they didn't have several inches of foam encasement around the edge. Yeah, I know: misleading. They may not even have the specs on coil COUNT, so use Density to compare one store's mattresses to another.

You should be able to get a World Class Simmons mattress at closeout prices this weekend because all mattress stores have big sales this weekend and Simmons just came out with the "Elite" line to replace the "World Class" so that means the "World Class" should be at big savings this weekend, maybe as low as 70% off retail. Remember to bargain them WAY down from the asking price and be prepared to walk out. You can always come back after shopping around. IMHO what you want to look for is 900-1000 coil density in a Simmons Queen. All specs are based on Queen size now.

Recent Posts