IKEA Mattress?
Aug 15, 2011 5:43 PM
Hi everyone,

I don't have a ton of cash to throw around, but I've needed to get a new mattress for ages. I love the price range of the IKEA mattresses, but I haven't seen anything about them on these forums or in the reviews. Is that because everyone already knows that they aren't any good, or because everyone who is on this site has more than $1000 to spend on a new mattress?

If it's the former, could someone point me in the direction of something low-end but still worthwhile? If it's the latter, I will still get a new mattress (I'm getting desparate) but I would love some tips on getting quality without having to sell a kidney.

Thank you.

Best,

J

Re: IKEA Mattress?
Reply #1 Aug 15, 2011 7:03 PM
I've heard that IKEA mattresses are pretty good for the money.  Just keep in mind they only allow one exchange and no refunds.

About the cheapest regular stores would be online ordering from WalMart and Costco.  Sears is one of the cheapest department stores.  I kinda like this little known Simmons mattress named 'St Bees Evenloft' at Sears.  It has not button tucks on surface, so an even surface.  It also combines reg. foam with some memory foam.  About $875 for twin set at Sears.

Learning about the online latex dealers like Flobeds, SleepEZ, etc... will help too.

Reply #2 Aug 18, 2011 1:39 AM
Hi, J,

I bought an IKEA Flokenes five weeks ago, and it's a good-quality mattress for $499 (what I paid for a king-size mattress; I also bought IKEA box springs to go with it). Only problem is it's too firm for me, a side sleeper. I wouldn't buy a memory foam mattress again (felt good in the store but like a rock at home), but since it's a king and would be incredibly difficult to get back to the store for exchange, I guess I'll keep it. There's a spring/latex mattress at IKEA that looks and feels pretty good -- I believe it's called the Holmsta. Just spend some time on the mattresses and go with what feels best to you. 

I've now spent much more on latex toppers ($1600...just typing that out makes me ill) for this mattress than the mattress itself cost. Unbelievable. But I think it's finally comfortable ...! Heavens, good latex is glorious stuff. Next time, though, I'm going with Flobeds or SLAB to build my own. Live and learn.

J2

Reply #3 Aug 25, 2011 8:44 PM
Ikea memory foams are good mattresses. Also I was at a mattress show and tried Innomax Trinity foam mattress. They are a little more expensive but you get an 11" profile (3" 5lbs foam on top and regular base foam for the rest). You can find them online at different mattress retailer websites. for aroung $450 to $550 for a twin
Reply #4 Aug 29, 2011 3:47 AM
Any idea if Ikea offer a non-standard mattress size and how much they charge for it? We have a non-standard bed size and we'd like to replace the old mattress with a new one but the problem is that everyone else wants no less than $1,200!!! for a custom mattress at the size that we need. Just wondered if anyone ordered a non-standard mattress size from Ikea (where are their mattresses made in anyway?) 
This message was modified Aug 29, 2011 by MarioH

Recent Posts