I need a COOLER mattress (help, please!!)
Nov 10, 2011 7:45 PM
I recently had to replace an ancient (25 year old) mattress, and I've been in Mattress Buying Hell ever since (the old mattress was getting tired and lumpy, for sure, but I found it perfectly comfortable.  My boyfriend, however, hated it.  Hence the ensuing drama...).

I've done a ton of research and a ton of shopping.  Bottom line, I am now convinced that the right mattress for me no longer exists.  Because the new mattresses seem fraught with problems that never existed before.

In short: we needed a soft-ish mattress that is not too high and that sleeps cool.  Memory Foam was out, of course.  After practically breaking up in the mattress store, and coming to a complete impasse, my boyfriend and I finally settled on a (pricey) Stearns and Foster Pillow Top -- the one with Latex.

Since the mattress got delivered, I've been completely traumatized.  First, the thing is SO DAMN HIGH, it's a joke. We are now trying to adjust it -- we're replacing the box springs (more $$) and may eventually have to get a non pillow top (we can't put the mattress on the floor or a lower frame, or we would).

So there's the height issue. Can't believe the manufacturer's don't make a thinner coil mattress.

But the bigger issue is the HEAT problem.  I am absolutely convinced that this mattress is much warmer than my previous, boxspring mattress.  It warms up the minute I lie down and stays warm.

With the old mattress, as long as I had the right bedding, heat was NEVER even an issue.  With this mattress, it sleeps very warm, even on a chilly night.  That is not good.

I know there are all kinds of correctional steps I can take; cooling mattress pads (do they really work?), cooling sheets, etc.  I am willing to try any and all of those.

BUT...I would rather start with a mattress that doesn't heat up!!  Isn't that possible?  I've just paid a small fortune for a mattress -- why do I now have to try to "fix" it??

I only have one chance to return or exchange this mattress, and now I am really concerned that there is NO good Plan B.  We can't get Memory Foam.  We can't get a really firm mattress.  And now, the so-called "cool" Latex mattresses seem too hot, too (I was going to originally get a Sealy Posturpedic...but it has Memory Foam).

I know that some new, "micro-gel cooling" mattresses are coming on the market soon.  But they are basically Memory Foam with a gel top -- sounds iffy.

Comfort-wise, my boyfriend loves the new mattress.  But I am not yet sure I like it.  And the temperature problem is the key issue.

So at long last, here's my question: IS THERE A TRADITIONAL, NON-LATEX, NON-MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS OUT THERE THAT IS NOT TOO WARM AND DOESN'T REQUIRE A BUNCH OF COOLING ACCESSORIES?

(I don't want to order online -- need to try the bed out.  And also can't afford a 4-$5K plus bed).

Please respond if you know of any solutions -- thank you!!

Re: I need a COOLER mattress (help, please!!)
Reply #13 Oct 30, 2018 5:49 AM
Hahaha... oh, man. So it's finally reached the 30-40s here. And we keep the house at approximately 74. So right now, I only have on my mattress - only! feather bed pad (it's really just an old twin feather duvet that fits perfectly on the surface of the full mattress), fitted sheet, sheet, feather duvet in a flannel cover, wool blanket, angora blanket, cotton blanket, fleece blanket. It's enough, I guess... I do keep one leg sticking out of the pile. You know--for balance.

This message was modified Apr 12, 2019 by a moderator
Reply #14 Nov 25, 2018 7:03 AM
Hi,

I'm using Leesa mattress since last 3 year and i though this is best COOLER mattress. If you are looking for a cooler matters I would like to suggest you to buy Leesa mattress. You can read online reviews before buying it.
Reply #15 Nov 28, 2018 10:35 AM
I had a similar problem. I love memory foam but find it far too warm sometimes. I'd recommend doing what I did. I bought a Coolmax zipped cover for memory foam mattresses which helps to regulate your body temperature at night. Since doing that I've slept much better.
This message was modified Nov 28, 2018 by Mpill

Recent Posts