I like watching the sunrise, but this is rediculous
Mar 3, 2009 9:32 AM
I've read some really nice tips here and hoping there are some more for me.

I'm a side sleeper and have been waking up the last few months with hip pain. Realizing it's time for a new mattress set (how does 20 years fly by?), I come to you experts for advice.

I understand this is MY quest for comfort, but advice would be a place to start the adventure.

My primary objective is to have pain-free hips that allow me to hit the snooze button.

Thanks!!!!!

This message was modified Mar 3, 2009 by tiredinOC
Re: I like watching the sunrise, but this is rediculous
Reply #1 Mar 3, 2009 12:33 PM
My bride and I appear to be atypical but we researched in detail for 3 months both online and on mattresses in stores looking at everything from innerspring to memory foam to latex to tempu-pedic and were surprised that we could find nothing that could compete with a new hard side waterbed mattress with a 3 inch memory foam topper.

My bride has multiple and medically diagosed back and bone conditions and she is mostly a side sleeper and she is sleeping the night through on the waterbed and topper combo.  We have slept on waterbed mattresses for over 22 years and over those years we have bought and used four mattresses and each time we buy a new one mattress engineering, construction and sleep comfort and quality continue to improve.  The most recent one was purchased first of this year and as we have gotten older (I am 61 and she is 55) we chose a more firm and completely waveless mattress and chose a seim-firm topper and each morning we are still impressed and happy with the comfort and quality of our sleep.

This combo is firm and full body supportive but not hard - but not in any way too soft over the course of a night's rest.  We think that being able to adjust the firmness of this mattress is perhaps its' strongest feature.  We found that we just couldn't gauge mattress comfort via a 10 or even 15 minute test in a store - the proof of sleep comfort is tested over the full night of the body on the mattress as your weight via gravity inter-acts with the mattress components and which is why firmness adjustability is very important and so few mattresses are adjustable.

We understand that many people don't include waterbed in the category of "serious" mattresses and many still envision the full wave bouncy "toys" when waterbed mattresses were first introduced in the late 60s/early 70s but in our opinion the technology and engineering of today's waterbed mattresses puts them in comfort and reliability competition with ANY mattress on the market today and at a significantly lower price.  Our total out-of-pocket for this last mattress with topper and new heater and including tax and shipping was just over $500.00.

Anyway, we carefully looked at all makes and models and are convinced that the perfect mattress for the two of us was the waterbed and we hope you find the perfect sleep platform for you.

Best Wishes

This message was modified Mar 3, 2009 by imjay
Re: I like watching the sunrise, but this is rediculous
Reply #2 Mar 3, 2009 3:00 PM
tiredinOC wrote:
I've read some really nice tips here and hoping there are some more for me.<p>I'm a side sleeper and have been waking up the last few months with hip pain. Realizing it's time for a new mattress set (how does 20 years fly by?), I come to you experts for advice.</p><p>I understand this is MY quest for comfort, but advice would be a place to start the adventure.</p><p>My primary objective is to have pain-free hips that allow me to hit the snooze button.</p><p>Thanks!!!!!

Welcome to the club of wanting pain-free hips. I am still learning. Do lots of reading, and you have to just try things, we are not all the same. What works for one, does not work for another. Don't rule out Dunlop process latex as it has less bounce than talalay does. You still need firm, not too soft. As I said I am still learning. Do lots more reading.

Recent Posts