I am concerned about latex
Feb 2, 2008 2:28 PM
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of finding a new mattress. I now have a very old and worn out futon mattress. And it has to go very soon.

I have been out trying different kinds of mattresses, and the ones I like the most are latex mattresses. I had decided to buy one, but then I began hearing about latex allergy. I am quite sure that I dont have latex allergy, but still I am concerned.

With regard to latex in mattresses, here is how I understand it:There are people that say that you shouldnt worry about mattresses made out of latex, because people that are allergic to latex are allergic to a protein in latex that is washed out of the latex in the manufacturing process of the mattress. But....

...we cant be sure of this, apparently. There are studies that show that scientists have been able to extract these allergen proteins out of latex mattresses. And honest sellers of latex mattresses do not advocate latex mattresses to people that have latex allergy. But why if the protein allergens have been washed out ? Well, the sellers themselves say that you cant be 100 percent sure that all the proteins have been washed out.

That is why I think that perhaps latex mattresses should be a concern for people that are not allergic. I am concerned that people are at risk of DEVELOPING A LATEX ALLERGY. We hear so much about people working with latex at their jobs DEVELOPING latex allergies. (That a higher percentage of people in this group have latex allergies - up to 10 percent or more) If people working with latex 8 hours a day develop latex allergies because they are so close to it for such an extended period of time, why wouldnt people that sleep close to latex proteins (assuming that there are still some left in the mattress even after being washed severel times) be at risk of developing latex allergy ?

I am very interested to hear what your thoughts are on this. I very much want to buy a latex mattress, (I have tried some that fits me very well, that I feel are very comfortable) but am not sure if it is such a good idea in light of what I have just been writing. I hope someone out there can calm my mind, and convince me rationally that it is a good idea to by a latex mattress. Especially since the ones I have tried are exchangeable.

Looking forward to some responses

Sting
Re: I am concerned about latex
Reply #5 Feb 2, 2008 7:45 PM
Hello again,

Thanks to everybody for their responses.

I have no reason to think that I have a latex allergy. I have often been in direct contact with latex with no negative effects. I have no allergies in general. No hay fever or anything that I am aware of. What really started my concern of developing a latex allergy was my love of avocado and banana. Let my explain breifly:

The responsible allergen in latex is latex protien. And these proteins share structural features within plant proteins found in fruits and vegetables. Studies have shown that there can be cross reactivity between among allergens from foods and latex proteins. So you develop an allergy to latex by exposing yourself to latex and end up not tolerating vegetables and fruits.

AND IF THERE IS ONE THING I DONT NEED, IT IS AN INTOLERANCE OF VEGETABLES AND FRUITS. THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD TYPES FOR ME.

That is the situation that I want to avoid. And that is just another factor why buying the right mattress is so important for me.

Here is the study that first raised my concern: " Protein and allergen analysis of latex mattresses." A study from july 1999.  It is only one page long. http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Doi=24200

So there are apparently still allergen proteins in natural latex mattresses despite what manufacturers say. 

Jimsocal:So you are allergic, or at least sensitive to latex at some level. (I dont know what a splint mean. English is not my first language and so I have tried to look it up. Does it mean a peace of wood  from hevea brasiliensis ?)Is it a sensitivity to natural or synthetic latex ? Do you know ? I guess that this is important to know. If you are sensitive to natural latex and the mattresses you have experimented with are of synthetic material, then that does not prove that all latex mattresses are safe for all that are allergic to latex. Although  I read somewhere that "latex is a contact allergy". The first responder also seems to suggest this. On the other hand I read somewhere that "the routes of exposure includes inhalation of airborne latex proteins." Great. (Being sarcastic)

Mattressmom: That latex sensitivity is a contact sensitivity is also what you are suggesting. That may be the reason why the explosion of latex allergies is associated with the explosion of use of latex gloves and not with the use of latex mattresses. Good to know. If we can know it. HOW CAN WE VERIFY THIS STATEMENT ? If it is true it is important. The reason could of course be that there are hardly any proteins left in the mattresses after the manufacturing process.

The citation in your last post is saying that latex gloves are made of synthetic latex and this is what does cause problems. That MOST? people have this allergy. I have read elsewhere that latex gloves can also be made of natural latex. But that the problem with gloves is that they are not made of open cell structure so it is not possible to wash away  the proteins that causes the allgergic responses.

I would go out and buy one of the latex mattresses, that I have tried, tomorrow, if I could be sure that I would not develop a latex allergy along the way . Somethings speak for the view that latex mattresses are safe. Almost all the proteins are probably washed away in the manufacturing process. And the few that are left you dont have direct contact with. All in all the exposure to latex or rather the proteins of latex (which I assume is the way to potentially develop a latex allergy) is perhaps not that great despite being so close to a big mass of latex that a latex mattress constitute. I dont know, it is difficult to determine.

Synthetic of natural latex ? Which one should I choose.? Well I guess, if it is the intolerance to fruits and vegetables, that I want to avoid long term, I should go with a synthetic latex mattress. Since it is the allergy of natural proteins found in these foods, that natural latex potentially can develop. Do you think that I understand this correctly? But then again there are thousands of potential problems with mattress materials. Synthetic stuff can create other types of problems. I need to think about this more.

If anyone out there have any further responses this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Sting

Reply #6 Feb 2, 2008 10:28 PM
I don't think anyone here is qualified to give you an answer. IMO, the risk of developing an allergy to latex from a latex mattress is extremely minimal so I don't worry about it. If you are worried about developing a latex allergy and further allergies to fruits, etc. - that's beyond the scope to this forum. You might want to consult with an allergist

I don't think you would have much, if any direct exposure to latex proteins if the latex core is covered with a mattress cover. I am much more comfortable with natural latex and a natural fiber cover than with synthetic chemicals - but that's just my opinion.

Jimsocal is talking about a splint which is a brace or heavy bandage on an injured body part. He had a latex splint on his wrist which made the skin itch when he wore it all night. That is a localized irritation or sensitivity due to direct skin contact for a long time - not really an allergy.
This message was modified Feb 2, 2008 by mattressmom
Reply #7 Feb 3, 2008 5:40 AM
You should probably be more concerned with the chemicals in standard innerspring mattresses if you're worried about allergies. As Lynn pointed out, you are insulated from the latex by the mattress cover so you aren't actually in contact with it. And since you don't seem to have any sensitivity to latex why obsess on the remote possibility that you might have an allergic reaction to a latex mattress?  Forget about it!
Reply #8 Feb 4, 2008 3:27 AM
mattressmom wrote:
Personally, I'm a lot more concerned about the fire retardant chemicals used in many mattresses than I am about developing a latex sensitivity.

I agree 100%.

As far as the studies cited, etc ... you can find a study in favor of/against nearly any topic if you research enough.  Real world experience is a more reliable factor if we're talking about real world odds of developing any of the issues you mentioned.

Reply #9 Feb 4, 2008 8:45 PM
Hi

Yeah I guess you are all right. Polyurethane is probably more of a realistic irritant. Now I am not concerned about latex anymore. I have found something new to be concerned about. Great.  No Now I will try and relax a bit. I have just been in one of those "its dangerous to live" moods. It happens whenever I make changes in my life. Thanks for the input everyone.

Sting

Reply #10 Feb 4, 2008 10:30 PM
sting wrote:
Hi</p><p>Yeah I guess you are all right. Polyurethane is probably more of a realistic irritant. Now I am not concerned about latex anymore. I have found something new to be concerned about. Great.  No Now I will try and relax a bit. I have just been in one of those &quot;its dangerous to live&quot; moods. It happens whenever I make changes in my life. Thanks for the input everyone.</p><p>Sting

That's the spirit! Life's too short to sleep on a crummy old futon. I hate to discount people's allergy concerns but I doubt you have anything to fear from latex.
Reply #11 May 25, 2008 12:46 PM
Sting:

If you want to give latex a try before investing in a mattress, you might purchase a latex pillow ($45 - $60) and see how you do with it.

Recent Posts