Hästens Superia II / Luxuria with BJX Luxury topper, Savoir No4, Vi-Spring Tiara Supreme
Oct 17, 2010 9:45 AM
Hi peeps.

I found this forum a few weeks ago and have spent quite a bit of time researching beds before I make a purchase.

For years I had slept on a fairly firm mattress at my parents, then moved out 6 months ago, and bought myself a cheap eBay bed, without knowing too much about the different types and styles of beds.

It was listed as an orthopaedic bed, which I thought meant good for the back, but in fact it feels like I am sleeping on concrete every night. I don't look forward to going to bed anymore, and usually end up getting about 4-5 hours sleep, then wake up with aches in my hips, ribs and shoulders, due to pressure points, as I am a side sleeper.

Also, this bed has some memory foam in which I find too hot. I purchased Coolmax bedding which has helped with the heat, but I can't stand the discomfort anymore.

I've decided I want a completely natural bed, which will breathe better than any foam. I've ruled out latex after trying out Carpe Diem beds, and not being very impressed. They just felt like foam to me.

So I've decided to treat myself to a new bed and mattress, and from reading all the reviews here and on the Web, whittled my choices down to Hästens, Savoir and Vi-Spring, as these seem to be the top 3 beds I can buy in the UK.

My budget is approximately £3000 and I'm looking for a 90cm x 210cm as I am a tall chap. If I ever move out with my partner, we will buy another bed the same size and put them side by side, as we prefer our own beds as I am a restless sleeper, and like my space.

I've had to travel to London to try out the Hästens and Savoir beds which has been annoying, but I see some of you guys have had to travel miles to test beds too! My friends think I'm nuts, but I just want a decent, restful nights sleep!

My findings so far is I think out of the above beds, which are all in my price range, I prefer the Hästens Superia II.

From looking at the specs of the Hästens Superia II - the springs have 8 turns and are 15cm high, and for the base the bonnell springs are 13cm high - this is a similar spring system to the Excelsior II, but with less comfort layers.

The Luxuria appears to have an inferior spring system to the Superia II - the springs have 6 turns and are 13cm high, and for the base the bonnell springs are 8cm high, but it has more comfort layers than the Superia II, and because the mattress is seperate from the base, it is flippable.

I actually prefer the feel of the Superia II - it feels softer and more supportive. It will just be more of a pain to have to turn the whole bed around to maintain it, but I don't see the point in paying more for a bed that I think is less comfortable (Luxuria), just to make maintenance easier? I'll always wish I had bought the bed that was more comfortable to me.

There are a few comments on here where I noticed people preferring the original Superia to the old Continental model. Not sure how similar the Continental model is to the Luxuria?

I'm also wondering why I preferred the Superia II with less comfort layers, to the Luxuria? Perhaps because of the longer springs, and also perhaps because the Luxuria has so many comfort layers, you can't feel the support of the springs so well?

The Savoir No4 is an amazingly well constructed bed, along with their other beds. But for me it felt too hard (not soft enough) - maybe they put too much filling in them for my liking, which makes them harder to compress?

I have a local Vi-Spring dealer, and that is what originally bought me to this forum, and researching top end beds. I was testing the Harold Supreme, and while it is a very nice bed, comparing it to a Hästens, it just hasn't got the wow factor, due to the luxurious topper on the Hästens. I can get good discounts on Vi-Spring however, so a Tiara Supreme would be at the top end of my budget.

I tried out the Tiara Supreme and while it was very soft and felt nice, I think I still prefer the feel of a Hästens. I kept going back to try the Superia II and liked what I felt.

The only thing that puts me off the Hästens is the build quality. Compared to a Vi-Spring or a Savoir, I'm not sure if they are over priced for what they are? I was looking at the bases of the Luxuria, and the covers for the bases appear to be zipped on, then sewn over?

Also, I was shown a Hästens booklet and told that the coil springs are held in place by a metal bar around the perimeter of the springs. The pockets are glued together, not sewn. Is this true?

I'm putting up this post, and I know it is a massive first post, just to get some feedback from you guys with any of these models of mattresses. A final last words really before I make this massive (for me) purchase.

Lastly, the only other thing that concerns me about a Hästens, is the thing that has drawn me to them - the topper. I've never slept on beds with toppers, and as I sleep very hot, won't a topper somewhat trap the heat? I know it has horse hair which wicks the moisture away, but I'm just wondering whether a more conventional mattress such as a Vi-Spring would suit me better?

Obviously, once I've purchased, I'm stuck with what I've bought so have been and am doing as much research as possible before ordering.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by need2sleep
Re: Hästens Superia II / Luxuria with BJX Luxury topper, Savoir No4, Vi-Spring Tiara Supreme
Reply #2 Oct 17, 2010 4:47 PM
I spent a couple of years sleeping on a Hastens.  The temperature regulation of a Hastens mattress is amazing, you will not be disappointed in that regard.  That alone makes sleeping on anything else rather difficult.

I do not like the Hastens toppers.  For me, they ruin an otherwise remarkable sleeping experience.  The top mattresses are amazingly responsive to your body's contours, why anyone would want to cover that up with a mostly inflexible 3" topper is beyond me.  Various dealers have told me that they do not use their toppers, as well as many of their clients.  Try it without the topper and see what you think.

I have no direct experience with any of the other brands, but someone who has worked for years with Hastens told me that when they visited a Savoir showroom, that they were blown away by the superior quality of the Savoir over Hastens.  I didn't ask for qualification of that opinion, I trust the person's expertise and more importantly:  I'm not in the market for spending that kind of money on a mattress.  If I were, I would do my best to purchase a heavily discounted floor model no matter which way I went between the brands you have listed.

This message was modified Oct 17, 2010 by Angel

Recent Posts