How to dispose of a mattress?
Oct 24, 2011 10:50 PM
Hi all,

We have that firm Night Therapy king mattress from Sam's that we only used for a few weeks while we determined what to buy longer term for our master. Our guest room is a nice queen bed frame, so would rather just leave as is.

So, I have a firm king mattress only to re-home. Ideas?

I called St. Vincent DePaul and other donation centers- none take mattresses. Sleep Experts makes you take it to their warehouse a good distance away, they dont pick up. Not sure I want random people coming in my house if I put in on Craigslist for free.

Other ideas how to find this mattress a new home quickly? It's in perfectly good shape. We're just not using it and it's not exactly convenient to store a king sized mattress!

Thanks!

Re: How to dispose of a mattress?
Reply #2 Oct 26, 2011 12:46 AM
A friend of mine tried to give her expensive and impeccable stove and fridge to Habitat for Humanity when she moved back to Canada. Those items were rejected for not being new enough.

I'd be interested to hear if they'll take the mattress.

Reply #3 Oct 26, 2011 9:34 AM
Hey guys!

I actually found a homeless shelter and a women's shelter here in Dallas both willing to pick up the mattress, so that's perfect! I believe the homeless shelter is going to pick it up this morning! Either way, I'm happy as long as someone can get some good use out of it. It's literally been slept on for two weeks- with a waterproof cover on it the whole time.

Reply #4 Oct 26, 2011 7:22 PM
For anyone else, just join "freecycle.com" to get rid of most anything that someone migh want for free.  I've given away used beds, tires, desks, and even an old rabbit hutch!  There are local chapters in most areas.  It works!
Reply #5 Oct 26, 2011 10:34 PM
Great to know! thanks!!

Recent Posts