Hip Pressure Points on a Serta Latex
Nov 12, 2012 5:16 PM
Hi all,

In 2009 we bought a king Vera Wang by Serta "Beyond Glamour" pillowtop latex bed (which is either no longer in production [can't find any info on the internet] or the name has changed in today's market).  The tag on the bed says 53% Latex, 27% polyurethane foam, 28% poly fiber batting.  I'm totally clueless about what kind of latex this is or which layer it occupies in the bed and the store we bought from no longer exists.  

We have the bed on plywood (two pieces side-by-side) which is on top of a king box spring.  Anyway, about a year after our purchase ($3,000 approx) I started having hip pressure point issues.  I'm a side sleeper and can only last about an hour before having to turn over to the other side until that hip starts hurting and I flip back and forth all night long.  We've removed the plywood from under my side, but that hasn't relieved the hip pressure points.  Also we rotate the bed occasionally and we have a mattress pad cover.

I'm disappointed that our "latex" bed is turning out to be so uncomfortable for me especially since it's only 3 years old, however in 2009 we weren't very knowledgeable about mattresses and we certainly didn't know very much about latex but we knew for sure we didn't want memory foam.  Probably from our friends that bought the Tempur-pedic and reported they were not happy with some of the features.

So what are we doing wrong?  How can we improve on the comfort?   Would adding a 100% natural latex topper help?  Firm, Medium, Soft?

If the discomfort continues (and neither one of us are spring chickens anymore so we deserve to sleep better for the remainder!), our plan would be to replace the king with two twin XL's, but the type (coils or latex) is still under debate.  I really like the concept of latex and that it's "greener" than the others, however I'm hopeful we can find a compromise in the meantime.  

If anyone can offer any suggestions so we can extend the stay of our present mattress, I would appreciate it.  I've learned so much from this forum and expect to continue becoming more knowledgeable on Mattress Management.

Re: Hip Pressure Points on a Serta Latex
Reply #2 Nov 14, 2012 11:47 PM
Thanks for the answer - you've given me some things to think about.

I'm pretty sure it's pressure points and not spine misalignment.  I recently spent a week at my Mom's house sleeping on a King Koil Crown bed and voila! I slept wonderfully after the first night with NO hip problems whatsoever.  That kinda proved it to me that our bed has failed somehow; however, I will give it a few more nights.  Then I expect we'll try the topper.

Again, I appreciate your advice.

Reply #3 Nov 15, 2012 4:47 PM
Hello.. the big problem is probably the fact that you have a pillow top.. they compress beyond anyone's thinking and truly you do not have a real latex bed.. you have a mixture of this and that and more than likely the latex you have is somewhere in between nothing and something..  too little to actually do any good for your body.  No matter what anyone says here putting any type of topper on what you already have will fail.. Sorry to say you will continue to have discomfort for as long as you continue to use this bed..  I have been in your shoes, and feel your money pain.. What ever you do in the future remember one thing.. stay away from pillow tops.. that is all you are buying is that small attachment to a mattress.. be smart in your next purchase to really do some serious homework prior to buying.. lay on beds and get a feel for the correct one for YOU.. and also.. do not. and I say DO NOT let a salesperson direct you to any bed... they do not own your body...good luck
Reply #4 Nov 18, 2012 9:16 PM
Thanks Glenbury,

I took the bedding off our bed after your message and again noted the two body dips in our pillowtop.  With some more homework, physical tryouts on foam and coils, I'm confident we'll be able to make a more educated choice.

Thanks everyone for your points to consider.

Reply #5 Nov 28, 2012 10:15 AM
I would add a memory foam mattress topper.  I realize there is the big debate of which is better latex vs. memory vs spring but really I have tried all three and memory foam is best.  since you have already invested in a quality mattress, i think really all you need to improve it would be a topper.  i would purchase medium personally, but I suppose it is up to your preference.  why have you discounted memory foam?  I see you say your friends didn't like it but realistically picking a mattress is a very personal choice and what might not work for some will work for others.  I hope you resolve your sleeping issues soon! I understand the discomfort you are going through.

Recent Posts