Help me plan a basic mattress surgery
Sep 15, 2013 9:55 AM
Wife and I have a seven year old Simmons plush-firm queen mattress; of course the foam layers on top are compressed and uncomfortable, but the springs seem fine.  We recently laid on a new mattress composed of springs, 3" medium latex, and 2" quilted wool, and it seemed pretty comfortable, so I'm wondering if I can replicate it through surgery.  In most of the surgery that I read about here, people use more than 3" of foam, and often two or three densities, but I'm considering just one 3" layer, then adding a wool topper if it seems necessary.  What do y'all think?  The other question is what ILD to get, and where.  FBM medium is 32, which seems too firm for a single layer.  High 20s seems better to me, but where would I get that?
Re: Help me plan a basic mattress surgery
Reply #5 Oct 27, 2013 2:05 PM
Thanks everyone.  I'm getting interested in that 3" dunlop 25 ILD topper from mattresses.net but still wondering how it will perform/feel as a single layer directly on top of the springs.  I'm 170 lbs and 6 feet tall.  Would this foam bottom-out under shoulders and hips when side sleeping, or is this sufficient padding for a single layer?

Recent Posts