Help me choose a mattress or topper
Jun 18, 2009 1:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm searching for either a topper or possibly a new mattress that will help me feel comfortable.  I have a severe type of rheumatoid arthritis and am currently "sleeping" on an 8 year old S**** pillowtop mattress.  The innerspring feels like its in good shape, but the pillowtop has seen its better days.  No impressions, it just doesn't cushion me anymore.  I've tried a cheap 2" 4lb memory foam topper and I felt like I was sinking to the bottom of a pit.  It really hurt my back too.  I've ordered a 1" 7lb topper from Big O hoping it will be more supportive and have less to fall into.  I'm thinking the pillowtop is causing the pitlike feeling though by taking up empty space.

Assuming I should try and save this mattress, will the 7lb topper work?  Should I exchange it for a latex topper since they're firmer and that seems to be what everyone else is using?

I'm really thinking I have a lost cause on my hands, though and I've been looking at other possiblities for getting a good night's slight.  I looked at healthy back's latex systems and they were comfy, but way too expensive for my current budget.  I've also been looking at SleepEZ, which is more affordable and I've heard good things about, but its still expensive.

I've also been considering the DIY route.  For this, is FBM as bad as people seem to think?  Its definately cheap enough, but I don't want to pay for something that will breakdown in time (I really don't care about the cosmetic issues people have reported, but I worry the cosmetic issues indicate lesser quality foam all around.  If someone from FBM could address this, that would be great).  The configuration I'm thinking about from FBM would be a:

1" Venus memory foam topper
2" Medium topper
6" Firm base

The other DIY place I've been looking at is foamorder.  I have a few questions - Would their 6" Mattress work or would it bottom out.  Here's the configuration I'd like to do:

1" Venus foam topper
3" Medium Upper Layer
3" Extra Firm Bottom Layer

According to their guide, this will give me a Medium Firm mattress.  Plus my Venus foam will help with pressure points.  Is this good or do I need the middle layer?  Also, will I bottom out having only a 3" bottom layer?  I figure I can always add layers when I have a larger budget or need to change to softness.  I also realize a 1" soft latex topper would probably be better, but I already have the Venus coming and might as well make use of it (so long as its comfy).

Oh, just so you know, I'm a male, 5' 7" in height, and I weigh about 140 lbs.

I really appreciate any advice.  My first choice would be to save my old bed, but I don't want to keep throwing money at it.  A couple last questions...How much do the latex Mattresses weigh?  Is it easy to get them up to the bedroom?  And how do I get rid of my current mattress when the UPS guy drops my latex foam off?

More questions keep popping into my head...Can I use a latex mattress on my current box spring or do I need to buy a special one?

Lastly, these DIY options are considerably cheaper than, say, SleepEZ.  Am I loosing much in quality by going with FoamOrder, or is it more of a convenience issue -- that they help you to find the right sleep system.

Sorry, for rambling on...its late, but I really don't want to go to bed because I've been so uncomfortable lately.  I'm leaning toward foamorder since they have the extra firm base, I'm just afraid 3" will bottom out.  Please, let me know what you think of the prospect of saving my old bed, and the setup of the DIY mattresses.  If I should make any changes, let me I know.  Thanks again for reading my post and answering my questions?
Re: Help me choose a mattress or topper
Reply #6 Jun 18, 2009 6:55 PM
I've pretty much narrowed it to two choices (if the memory foam doesn't help my bed).

SleepEZ - More expensive, but simpler and complete from the start.  Choice of Dunlop or blended Taladay.

FoamOrder.com - 3 layer block + case is more reasonably priced.  Dunlop processed.  Feels more DIY.

I have a few questions left:

1.  How do I get rid of my old mattress.  If I ordered locally the company would haul the old one away.  Should I advertise it on Craigslist, maybe someone needs a guest bed.  I don't want someone thinking its a good mattress and trying to use it, but I'd like to get rid of it for cheap.

2.  What should the top layer be.  I think I want a medium top layer (plus my memory foam).  SleepEZ shows a soft top layer in all their illustrations...are those just illustrative or is a soft top better.

3.  Does a latex mattress go on a box spring or do I need a slat bed?

So if anyone can answer those, or tell me what they think of SleepEZ and FoamOrder, I'd be appreciative.

Jeff
This message was modified Jun 18, 2009 by Sleep_Deprived
Reply #7 Jul 14, 2009 5:48 PM
My hubby and I have researched like crazy -

We are buying a California King bed.

We are getting latex because of chemical issues

We thought of going the route of DYI but decided against it; FBM glues the additional "length" on... this defeats the non-chemical/all natural reason for buying a latex bed.

I looked at Sleepez, looked at all of the Natural, organic bed stores.  Decided on Rocky Mountain Mattress.  They offer a 6" core with a 2" layer in an organic cotton casing for an excellent price.  Our Core is a Firm and our second layer is Medium.  My hubby is rather tall and large and I am small and medium :)   I bought the mattress only because once I researched foundations I found that most of the stores are selling the foundations with slats that are too far apart.  Rocky Mountain Customer Service was excellent!  I must have sent 6 emails the past few days and they responded very quickly to each of them. 

We purchased a Versiflex foundation via Amazon, the slats look closer together and there are more of them.  Most of the foundations only have 7 slats per foundation!  A latex mattress will sag with that setup I am sure.  I will update this post once we get the bed and the foundation.  I didn't see where anyone else had purchased a Versiflex, so I will give our opinion for anyone else out there looking for a foundation .... 

Going this route I have spent $200 more for a "no-glue" all natural sleep.  I will have the same 30 day trial period as all the stores offer....

We will be inserting wooden "buns" on the bottom of our foundation to bring it up to a regular bed's height.  We are forgoing the little PVC pegs because again, PVC has a strong VOC emission and this would again, defeat the purpose of a chemical free sleep. 

We will most likely be looking for a soft topper after this is all set up... but I figure that I have the proper foundation for a solid sleep. 

Reply #8 Jul 16, 2009 12:39 AM
Dear Deprived;
If it were me(and it has been) I'd do mattress surgery.  I'd open up the mattress above the springs and change out the foam on top.  You have nothing to lose and you could save money and learn a lot about what you do and do not like in a mattress by doing this.
It sounds to me like your foam in your pillowtop has died.  Foam can lose its resiliency and still look just fine.  Does not always look hollow but sure can sleep that way.  If you put toppers on uneven foam you end up with deeper craters(that you can't even see...just feel). 
I'd take an exacto knife and start slicing around the perimeter of the bed, probably at the bottom seam of the pillowtop part.  You can then substitute your newer foam for what is in there, rearrange, whatever...you'll at the very least learn a lot about your sleep needs.  Very best is that you will save money.
Buying a new mattress can be the biggest waste of money...seems a bad deal when you don't have any to waste.
Good luck!
Kait
Reply #9 Jul 16, 2009 6:45 PM
I have some input regarding mattress toppers.  In late May I purchased a queen, Original Mattress Factory orthopedic extra firm set, and have been desperately trying to adapt to it.  I have had back surgery, so I thought I needed the "hardest" thing on the market.  Wrong!!!  Until this past monday, I have been in a great deal of pain throughout the night because my mattress is too firm.

I turned and flipped it as told by the store, but it didn't help.  I used to have a featherbed on my old bed (which was very soft and non supportive) and I loved the firm difference that the featherbed made.  But, thanks to a tip from this site, noting that featherbeds are rather "hard", I ordered a "down alternative" fiberbed from HSN last week.  I put it on the bed this monday, and had the first "heavenly" nights sleep I've had since having my new bed.  It makes such a wonderful difference.

So, as countless people recommend, get your "firm" mattress or one with springs, preferably "flippable, and get a fiberbed to place on top.  That way, if it wears or flattens, you can always replace it easily.  Mine was on sale for $50 for queen.  It is though I am lying on a nice, soft comforter...and the bed still feels quite firm and supportive, but now my shoulders are no longer numb throughout the night, and I am no longer in pain.  So, my suggestion is to try a fiber bed.  I have already tried a convoluted foam topper, and it was way too uncomfortable. Good luck.
Reply #10 Jul 16, 2009 9:49 PM
Marybeth, I'm glad you've found a topper that is working well for you. :-) I've had good experiences with fiber beds in the past and plan to use the one I've got in storage currently (Cuddle Bed) with an OMF ortho extra firm set.

Recent Posts