Help I'm returning Sleepy's Simmons mattress
Oct 14, 2009 4:03 AM
I recently purchased a Simmons Hamlet mattress (no pillowtop, very firm) to replace my 5 year old Sealy pillowtop. My old Sealy basically had a crater in the center and it felt like quicksand when I lay down in it. Felt like I was climbing out of a hole when I was getting out of bed. Last week, I was desparate and went to Sleepy's and got the firmest mattress they had. It was a Simmons Hamlet model. Well it was delivered and it might be the hardest surface I've ever slept on. On the one hand, at least I'm not sinking into the bed anymore. On the other, it's completely uncomfortable. I'm going to return it to Sleepy's based on their guarantee. It will cost me $249 to replace it with another model, but what do I get? As it was, this was only one of maybe two beds in the store without a pillowtop. Am I just totally screwed?
Re: Help I'm returning Sleepy's Simmons mattress
Reply #17 Jun 26, 2010 2:56 PM
I know what you mean. I can sleep through the night on a lot of cushy toppers but wake up with new back pains. I can get rid of the back pain on a firmer surface but wake up every 2 hours because of hip pain. the real solution is expensive. a superior coil system  with high quality latex or wool as a comfort layer or a latex bed you custom make with sleepez or one of the other latex dealers. finding a decent strong gauge coil system without paying a fortune is really hard. the best out there is the holland maid - the one used by beckley and shifman. of course the super deluxe brands - relyon, hypnos, hastens, as well as the prior two are all terrific, but are very expensive beds. the only commercial bed I know of that has a 12 3/4 gauge coil is the king koil "extended life" and it is a thousand for a double. a lot to pay just for a 100 dollar coil system. I may end up ordering the coils from hickory springs - 100 for the coils and 200 to ship it here. not so cheap either given that the remaining materials will run a few hundred. with the mattress you now own, most of the guys here would probably suggest that you buy a softer latex topper - like a 17 dunlop or a mid-twenties talalay. at least that would get you out of buying another bed
Reply #18 Jun 26, 2010 11:54 PM
Thanks to all for your advice.  I gave in and traded in for the the Hamlet plush.  an expensive mistake - but hopefully the last one for awhile.  
Reply #19 Jul 18, 2010 10:23 AM
Post-script:  The plush top is too soft and my back hurts every morning.  Nothing I can do about it at this point...only one 'comfort return' at Sleepy's (not to mention the cost).  All I can say is I will never again buy or recommend a Simmon's Beautyrest. There is nothing pretty about it.

Recent Posts