Help! How long does it take to get use to a new mattress?
Nov 20, 2010 11:54 AM
We bought a new mattress from Natura World, it is a NaturaLatex Serene Luxury (http://www.naturaworld.com/mattress-serene-lux),  we have had it for 4 days now and we wake up with our backs hurting.  For the last 2 nights my husband had to go sleep elsewhere in the middle of the night.  My question - does it take sometime for you to adjust to a new bed?  This bed does not have springs, like our old one, which was 12 years old and in pretty bad condition.  Unfortunately, we can not return this mattess.  We thought we had picked the right one.  Any suggestions?
Re: Help! How long does it take to get use to a new mattress?
Reply #17 Aug 22, 2011 9:41 PM
I think one golden rule is to always be able to return a mattress even if there is some restocking fee.

lemme tell you .... trying to sell a slightly used mattress is not something you want to do.  I've got an iComfort on Craigslist for 15% of original cost .... not one phone call.  Sure, it's a twin XL, but still.

And remember, usually if you exchange to another mattress, that one will be yours for keeps.  I got toasted by that one.

Reply #18 Aug 22, 2011 11:42 PM
Some excellent tips there - thank you poster slpngoc.
Reply #19 Aug 23, 2011 1:39 AM
I was sleeping on a saggy softsider waterbed with a 2" memory foam topper replacing the egg crate foam.  I sunk in pretty far and sleeping on my stomach was not really possible. Then I got my 10" Savvy Rest all Dunlop FMS latex mattress.  I spent the hottest day of the year putting the heavy wooden bed and mattress together.  It took 5-6 hours and I was pooped when I finished,  I woke up the next morning with a back ache.  I'm not sure if it was from all that work or the mattress itself.  But the back pain went away and after a week, I started sleeping better every night!  It feels like it has softened a bit and it's now perfect.  I don't have any injuries or back problems, thank goodness.  But it still took a week before I woke up and felt good.

I think you need to give any particular configuration some time to adjust to, although people like slpngoc who has a shoulder injury can probably tell pretty quickly if a mattress is going to work or not.  Having had a broken shoulder and requiring vicodin for several months to be able to sleep, I can appreciate how difficult it must be to find the right mattress.

Recent Posts