Flobeds is in my area, I have questions
Oct 10, 2009 4:13 PM
Turns out their factory is close to me, never heard of them till this forum...

Why them vs Tempurpedic

Do they have an in home trial period or just that core deal that you can try

Most importantly, who has one and why do they like it??

thanx
This message was modified Oct 10, 2009 by randys
Re: Flobeds is in my area, I have questions
Reply #5 Oct 11, 2009 8:00 PM
Randy: I do not agree that latex feels like Jell-O. At least not the Jell-O that I'm used to.

Latex feels different than just about any other substance that I'm aware of. In my case I'm talking about 100% botanically grown natural Talalay process latex. I know, that's a lengthy name. Unfortunately, because nobody big enough that is willing do it has stepped in and required a universal definition for latex, this problem will persist.

It can be either a blended product of petrochemicals plus natural, and almost any percentage point, one way or the other. And processed by two different methods, either the Dunlop process or the Talalay process. Both processes produce a very different products. Or it can be a latex made out of 100% botanically grown material.

I'm sure the point has already been made, but Tempurpedic memory foam latex mattress, are made exclusively from petrochemicals. And they are so different from the products that we are talking about that they should not be compared at all, in my opinion.

I am 6'2" tall and weigh 210 pounds. My bed is exclusively made out of 100% botanically grown natural Talalay processed latex. The latex is manufactured by Latex International, put together and sold by FloBeds. As Kimberly stated you can read my thread, "I just bought a FloBeds" for a great deal of description and discussion on these beds. My mattress is definitely on the firmer side.

The deal with latex all depends upon the firmness of the various layers. The bottom layer should be the most firm, the middle layer somewhat less firm(generally speaking) and the top layer least firm, it all depending upon two things. Your size, and your preferences for a comfortable sleeping surface. If you are a large enough person to require it, you could conceivably have a bed made out of all extra firm latex. This would be a very firm bed. And I can assure you it would not feel like Jell-O. And if you purchased a blended Talalay latex bed made out of all super firm latex with an 44 ILD, it would more than likely sleep like something quite solid, some people might like that. But it certainly wouldn't be me.

Problems arise in trying to make a determination because most of the websites promote either blended latex or 100% natural botanically grown latex. Some sites even push Talalay processed latex over Dunlop processed latex. And I should add here both processes can use petrochemicals to a larger or lesser degree with the natural botanical grown latex and produce a blended product.

Sites that believe in the 100% botanically grown natural latex, will probably push that product. Other sites that believe in the blended product will probably push that product. So it can become quite confusing, as you might imagine. This is wholly compounded by the fact that I can't lay down on the mattress and can only purchase it over the Internet. This is why you want to buy from a company that gives you a return privilege, as well as a certain period of time to exchange the layers to find the proper firmness for you.

When you're going to spend between $2000 and $3000 for mattress you wanted it to be right!

if you are close to FloBeds you have a privilege that few of us enjoy on this website. You can go to their store and lay on all kinds of different firmnesses of latex. I just purchased from them and I consider them to be the best manufacturer of latex beds on the Internet. They have the best exchange policy and the best return policy when you consider all of the various features. If you're that close to them you could even run the different layers back and forth yourself, at no cost to you, until you found the proper configuration. Lucky you!
This message was modified Oct 11, 2009 by eagle2
Reply #6 Oct 11, 2009 10:09 PM
I think jello is actually a pretty good description for all natural talalay latex! I know we're all different in terms of how things feel, and of course it also depends on how firm your layers are... maybe well-set, firm yet bouncy, jello :) But my husband calls it "the sponge bed", and he can sleep on most anything, whether it's a sponge or a rock.
Reply #7 Oct 11, 2009 10:27 PM
linda wrote:
I think jello is actually a pretty good description for all natural talalay latex! I know we're all different in terms of how things feel, and of course it also depends on how firm your layers are... maybe well-set, firm yet bouncy, jello :) But my husband calls it "the sponge bed", and he can sleep on most anything, whether it's a sponge or a rock.

Linda: The new soft layer of Talalay I received from Flobeds to try out, is quite soft and does have a some what Jello feel. The mediam piece is some what firmer, and you might call it, "Jello like", I would not, but the firm and extra firm are surely not Jello in their consistency. And this is if you do not lay on them. Once you lay down on them and spread out the load you have an entirely different feel.

I am currently sleeping on one side of my bed with soft, over extra firm, over extra firm. The other side is firm, over firm, over extra firm. Neither side feels like Jello to me. The side with the soft core does have a softer initial feel however.

Well, as they say in France, Viva la Difference!
This message was modified Oct 11, 2009 by eagle2

Recent Posts