Flobeds advice?
Jun 29, 2009 12:26 PM
I think we are finally able to order a new latex mattress from Flobeds! We've been wanting one for a couple of years now. We are looking at a Cal King Posture Deluxe Talalay mattress. Hubby is a stomach sleeper and I am a side sleeper.

Do you have any advice for us?

Is it worth it to get the Euroslat foundation, as opposed to the non-adjustable slat foundation?

Are their firmness recommendations pretty accurate? (I think I remember reading here that the latex cores run on the soft side.)

Anything else we should know before we place an order? Thanks!
Re: Flobeds advice?
Reply #5 Jul 12, 2009 1:53 AM
ynyc,

I was having my new furniture delivered, including my new Wesley Allen Headboard, so I called Dave and got Dewey on the phone. Dewey overnighted the headboard brackets to me at no charge so I could have a pretty bedroom.  Somehow on the Wesley Allen Headboard, there was a few slots for the screws to fit the bracket, that I was able to find one of them.  I had a friend put an attachment at the bottom of the headboard's feet so the headboard would touch the ground since it needed one more inch.  My headboard is 5 feet since I wanted a grown up headboard. I had not had a headboard since I was a little girl. I love having an headboard since it finishes the bed. I did not buy the footboard also since I had no room in my bedroom due to buying a double dresser to put on the other side of the wall. 

I found a stretchable ivory bedskirt  (came in white or ivory and plain, or lacey or eyelet.... I chose eyelet) that fits the bed nicely and is covered up by my ivory comforter that I bought to have this peaceful feeling in my bedroom.   My bedroom looks now like a grown up bedroom with my new solid Maple bedroom set. My old bedroom set was oak and falling apart and the platform bed with drawers had broken and the bed itself was shot when I bought my FloBeds. 

I love the Pine Slatbox now that I added the higher legs.  I am not quite 5 feet and I have no problems getting up and down from my bed. At first I went with the shortest legs. I exchanged the legs twice.  The 10" legs make my bed look like a grownup bed to me.  I used to have a Royal Purple comforter in my bedroom with Purple sheets and now everything is ivory and creams with the comforter being dry clean only that I was able to take to the laundry mat and wash it without dry cleaning it.  I loved the Cherry Furniture but it was beyond my budget so I went with the Durham Maple Furniture.  I finally bought blinds also to keep the light from the poles in my street from lighting up my bedrom.  I bought Duet Honeycomb Architella black-out blinds with the top down/bottom up feature in a 3/4 inch size in a Linen color that seems to go with my ivory and cream theme.  My mini blinds had fallen off the windows.  Hence, out of everything in my house, I love my bedroom the best and I love my FloBed that is so comfortable to sleep in and I love my Overstock Latex Pillows.

Reply #6 Jul 12, 2009 9:53 AM
Lynn, thank you so much -- this is super helpful.

Just to be clear, I have a few follow up questions.

-- Did your headboard have its own brackets with slots to attach to the bracket Flobed sent you? If so, could you have just moved the headboard bracket higher to fit the 10" legs/Flobed bracket, rather than attach something to the bottom of the headboard to make it higher? I have brackets on my headboard that are too low for Flobed's 10" legs/bracket set, but can't figure out if my headboard bracket can be easily moved (would have to call in a handyman).

-- How exactly did you raise your headboard -- what did you attach the legs to in order to raise it by 1"? And do you know if it was exactly 1"?

-- How many screws do you have to attach to each bracket -- is it one or two? (this will help me figure out if my headboard will work).

Many many thanks!!

Reply #7 Jul 13, 2009 9:44 PM
GreenTeam, sorry I hijacked your thread -- didn't mean to! I just ordered a Flobeds and suggest you speak with Dewey or Dave re: your questions, if you haven't already. They provide excellent guidance and don't seem to be about upselling, but rather finding the best fit for the customer. It's in their best interest to do so, since they have a generous exchange policy and seem to rely on word of mouth to bring new customers. They also just seem like decent people who take pride in their work and customer service.

After lots of research, I went with the euroslats. They don't cost much more when purchased with the mattress, and seem to be worth the investment. I also got the wooden legs -- they seem to have engineered the design carefully to ensure stability, etc. and many folks think the wooden legs are a step forward from the traditional metal frames (even though wood beds existed long before metal ones, I think !).

Re the mattress, I erred on the firmer side  based again on what others have consistently said (XF + F on one side, F + Med on the other side, with 7-zone on top). I usually read that a talatay/Flobed mattress configuration is softer than expecfted, not firmer.

If you can wait another few wks, I can report back re: any friction issues and the mattress firmness once I've gotten the bed.

Recent Posts