FYI if you have any Ikea receipt that predates 2012, pick up some discounted latex
Jan 15, 2012 3:29 PM
Today & tomorrow you can still get anything in the store for 10% off so long as you have ANY ikea receipt that's older than 2012 (well, for a home item in the store, not a cafeteria receipt).  You just either have to bring a friend, or grab someone there & act like you brought them, & you both get a 10% off anything in the store pass with your old receipt.

They have one there that's a 7" block of blended 85/15 dunlop latex for $809(Q) after the 10% off.  I've been following that one, the erjford (now edsele) for a while now, along with the elsfjord (0/100 dunlop) & engenes (15/85 dunlop), & have never seen these go on sale.  Just a heads up in case anyone has been shopping the Ikea latex mattresses or anything else there & hadn't heard about this, because with this discount that's acutally somewhat competively priced for this much 85% natural latex.  Monday's the last day though.

Re: FYI if you have any Ikea receipt that predates 2012, pick up some discounted latex
Reply #2 Jan 19, 2012 2:39 AM
DaveStro wrote:

Actually that is 85% Synthetic Latex and 15% Poly Dunlop is the manufacturing process and it is the cheaper process due to the foams being inconsistant. Dunlop process is usually used to make foam cores and not very good as a sleeping surface. That type of mattress you can get from mattress discounter for $699 to $799 anyday of the week.

Hi Dave. All three of these latex mattresses are Dunlop, which refers to the vulcanization process. Neither dunlop/talalay is necessarily better or worse, but each results in a different feel, for which preferences will vary per individual. Now as to what percentage of natural latex each one contains, that is a separate issue from dunlop/talalay, & these three vary as follows in that regard:

Elsfjord 5" - 100% synthetic      http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00139969/

Engenes 7" - 85% synthetic/15% natural     http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80139994/

Edsele/Erfjord 7" - 85% nautral/15% synthetic     http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/70188471/

The edsele so far is amazing, & btw is the only one of the three that isn't roll-packed, which is nice & somewhat unusual for most foam (since it costs more to ship this way); though even their thinner synthetic elsfjord I've had for a little over two years now, & it has been very impressive as well. I have since transferred it to another mattress project now that I'm testing out the edsele, & will keep the forum updated as to how it holds up in comparison.  The only shame with these is they come with such nice mattress covers that are generally wasted on me. Since I prefer a more immediate interaction with the latex, the first thing I do is replace these thick covers with an ultra thin (but less protective) one.  I do like their effect over memory foam though, & will use the especially nice cotton/wool case that came with the edsele for that purpose.

This message was modified Jan 19, 2012 by JasonRatky

Recent Posts