Ethan Allen Profile Mattress?
Dec 30, 2011 8:51 PM
I went to Ethan Allen and they told me their Profile Latex bed is equivalent to the memory foam mattresses.  The cost was about $2250 after discount ($2819 original price) for a king sized mattress.

We've tried the Tempurpedic Cloud Lux and Cloud Supreme but they are too expensive.  Serta iComfort Revolution ($2499) is too cushy and we read bad reviews about them.

http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=3170286

Any thoughts?

Re: Ethan Allen Profile Mattress?
Reply #3 Dec 31, 2011 9:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I actually do not like the memory foams.  I prefer the latex.  I couldn't find many decently priced latex beds with the soy build. 

I am allergic to dust mites and was reading that Latex mattresses are less prone to having mites than the traditional innercoil beds.  After searching for memory foam vs innercoil and hybrid beds, I think Latex is the best combination of comfort and features.

Here is where I am struggling.  I found a Ethan Allen Profile latex mattress (made by Kingsdown) with soy.  It is expensive at $2200 after discount for a king.  10 year warranty.

There is another no name brand latex mattress.  But for some reason, this is built on individually wrapped coils (not soy).  So this hybrid bed will have more dust mites.  It is cheaper, at $1100 for a king.  15 year warranty.
https://ocmattressrocks.com/products/San-Clemente-Latex-Pillow-Top.html

They told me soy will have no dust mites and is better than the individually wrapped coils that sit underneath a latex pillow top.  I'm not sure if Kingsdown is worth double the price of the OC Mattress brand.  But I'm worried that coils will sag over time, while the soy will not.  Thoughts?
This message was modified Jan 1, 2012 by jyeh74
Reply #4 Jan 1, 2012 2:37 PM
jyeh74 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I actually do not like the memory foams.  I prefer the latex.  I couldn't find many decently priced latex beds with the soy build. 

I am allergic to dust mites and was reading that Latex mattresses are less prone to having mites than the traditional innercoil beds.  After searching for memory foam vs innercoil and hybrid beds, I think Latex is the best combination of comfort and features.

Here is where I am struggling.  I found a Ethan Allen Profile latex mattress (made by Kingsdown) with soy.  It is expensive at $2200 after discount for a king.  10 year warranty.

There is another no name brand latex mattress.  But for some reason, this is built on individually wrapped coils (not soy).  So this hybrid bed will have more dust mites.  It is cheaper, at $1100 for a king.  15 year warranty.
https://ocmattressrocks.com/products/San-Clemente-Latex-Pillow-Top.html

They told me soy will have no dust mites and is better than the individually wrapped coils that sit underneath a latex pillow top.  I'm not sure if Kingsdown is worth double the price of the OC Mattress brand.  But I'm worried that coils will sag over time, while the soy will not.  Thoughts?

Just a note on Dust Mites and beds:

Dust mites are a burrowing insect. the environment of latex and memory foam are both too acidic for dust mites to breed and live comfortably so they are naturally resistant to dust mites. the coils underneath are basically inconsequencial since they would have to burrow through the latex to get to the coils... virtually not gonna happen. The reason most mattress protectors are only waterproof or water resistant on the top is for the very reason that the dust mites only dig and not crawl side to side.

Find what's comfortable (in latex) and do not worry about the coil vs. soy when concerned about dust mites.

Also: Soy foam is basically a polyurethane foam with a small percentage of soy blended in (there are a couple of guys on here who could describe this better than me) but it is not enough soy to be a "soy foam". Since it is an poly foam blend, you can expect it to last much like most other poly foams of similar design... I amnot saying the coils are better, just don't get caught n the salesperson's pitch to make your decision. I sell mattresses and my experience is that depending on certain factors, the coils may last longer than the foam, but the opposite is also true. If the coil version has options for a higher number of coils, then the higher number will result in lasting longer than it's lower counterpart (in the same brand).

Ultimately, Kingsdown is a good brand, but there are other latex models (in foam and coil) that should be able to get you in the mid to high teens $$...

Sleep Well "jyeh74"!

Reply #5 Jan 1, 2012 7:31 PM
guymakessense,

Thanks for the reply.  cant dust mites go through the side of the mattress and bypass the latex pillowtop into the coils?

I was just thinking soy may last longer than coils because all the Sealy coils I have purchased, end up sagging in 3-4 years.

Reply #6 Jan 2, 2012 3:08 PM
jyeh74 wrote:

guymakessense,

Thanks for the reply.  cant dust mites go through the side of the mattress and bypass the latex pillowtop into the coils?

I was just thinking soy may last longer than coils because all the Sealy coils I have purchased, end up sagging in 3-4 years.

As far as the dust mites go... no, they can not move laterally at all, they burrow straight down.

As far as soy based foam vs. coils that would depend on usage, weight, humidity, etc. If the Sealy bed was a "Sealy" line and not a Posturepedic line from Sealy, then the coils were not designed for true adult use for an extended period of time (based on my selling experience), if the coils were in a Posturepedic mattress, I would first check on the foams in the mattress breaking down and not the coils... those posturetech coils are freaking strong.

I have sold 3 different brands and styles of soy-based foam core under latex and although they have all retained 20 yr warranties, I did not find them to last any longer than a strong coil system.

Most beds are designed for 2 people averaging under 200lb each... if you weigh a lot more than this, you may need to consider a stronger coil system or a higher ILD foam core (regardless of soy or standard polyurethane)... many salespeople will use your fear to sell you a more expensive product...

Find the one that FEELS the best to you with a reputation you can trust (at least the retailer so you can get your exchange and warranty options) and go with that mattress... the dust mites can be researched online to verify the info I have given you so far... a very simple waterproof cover can reduce the dust mites to a normal life level as they are literally everywhere all the time... mattresses just begin to house the colonization and life cycles where they eat, sleep, die and poop in your bed and never get removed; being able to wash the protector eliminates all of those things. Plus, since you like latex, it will naturally reduce the life cycles of dust mites in your bed.... you can add the protector for even greater peace of mind.

Reply #7 Jan 2, 2012 3:13 PM
Yes, we are both under 150 lbs and the Sealy line I purchased is Posturpedic.  It is ultra plush.

I figure Ethan Allen's Kingsdown is expensive for the name.  $2200 for a latex/soy mattress is expensive.  It only has 10 year warranty.

But I'm not sure if the generic OC Mattress with 15 year warranty and latex/coils is better.  Stress O pedic makes this http://www.stressopedic.com/ but I've never heard of them.

They actually both feel decent.  The Ethan Allen is slightly firmer.

This message was modified Jan 2, 2012 by jyeh74
Reply #8 Jan 2, 2012 3:51 PM
The Sealy Posturepedic plush models from about 4 years ago had a LOT of comfort foam on top (the coils were less than 6" in height) measure your old mattress thickness (1" base foam, 5-3/4" coil and the rest is comfort foam and quilting... most sagging in that line-up was in the foams and not the coils... this is why manufacturers usually want about 1-1/2" or more depression to make a warranty claim; it takes at least that much to show the foams are breaking down too fast.

Depending on the soy foam ILD, the in-store model may feel firmer based on the how often it has been tested (broken in)... the coils should not change throughout its life...

You may want to test again and spend at least 20 minutes on each one and see how relaxed you feel after 20 minutes in each one... if you find yourself relaxing quicker in one anr just feeling more relaxed... that's the one to pick!

Good luck!

Recent Posts