Do more coils equal more comfort?
Dec 14, 2011 8:50 AM
I was wondering what affect that coil count, or coil density, has on the feel of a mattress.  Today's mattresses often seem to have a greater coil density than mattresses manufatured, say, 20 years ago - are these greater number of coils really necessary to increase the "cushioning" effect of the mattress?

It seems that I've noticed a general pattern of mattresses with a lower coil density having a lower coil gauge (thickness).   Do these characteristics make the mattress more "rigid" and "harder" than mattresses that have a higher coil gauge and a greater coil density?

I'm in a situation where it may be necessary to minimize the amount of foam in whatever mattress I purchase, so the properties of the coil-system become that much more important to me.

Would this bed be comfortable enough for a relatively short, heavy person?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_08212678000P?blockNo=51&blockType=G51&prdNo=1&i_cntr=1323845968552

Re: Do more coils equal more comfort?
Reply #1 Dec 15, 2011 2:18 PM
After looking at the mattress link to Sears that you posted, I should warn you that the mattress listed is designed in Sealy's line-up as a promotional (albeit, higher up than the first few beds in their line-up) and since you had your last bed for 20 years, you will be discouraged by the duration of the life of this mattress. I sold this line-up (under different names of course, but the specs are the same). The warranty, at least in this case, is a pretty good indicator of the durability of this level of mattress. Since $800 is your budget and you are concerned about the $522 price tag for a mat only, I would tell you a couple of things:

• The coils used in this bed are actually the same coils Sealy used to use in their Posturepedic line-up (full 10 year warranty beds) before they went to the titanium infused coils
  • The posture-tech coils were the ones that helped push them to #1 in sales (due to price and durability)
  • The coil count is less than their Posturepedic mattresses, but that is why they are reducing the warranty to a 5/5 version
  • This particular mattress line-up becomes bouncier than the Posturepedic line-up due to the reduced number of coils = each coil has to work harder to  keep you level and the more yo push into the bed the more it pushes back... Sealy calls it "liveliness"
  • The movement is not bad if you prefer the traditional feel over some of the newer motion reducing materials/systems
  • This model will feel firm (could be good or bad), but that will be due to the amount of material on top of the coils... the coil unit will not feel very firm... about a medium/medium firm
  • You might be able to find their lowest end (firm, but a little more contouring, with still very little padding) mattress with a much more durable expectation for functionality in the Posturepedic line-up... Sears should have that as well

Are you able to go into a store and check out the bed physically before purchasing? If so, ask the salesperson to both show you and explain to you the difference between the "Sealy Beds" and the Sealy Posturepedic beds. I am not endorsing Sealy, but if this is the price range you are trying to stay in, they should be able to help you and still provide durability and comfort...

Check out the "Vinance Plush" (which is the closest to what you are looking at from Sears) to the "Solon Firm" (either way the prices are much better here if you are shopping on line). As a sleep consultant, I prefer to help custom fit each client with the right feel, firmness, solution and price and find it very difficult (and expensive) to keep trying things via online... but unless you are on the west coast or in the northwest, I could not help you more than info! 

Hope this helps, sleep well "fumesallnight"!

Recent Posts