Dilemma with replacing Sealy Collamore w/a Sealy Embody. Help!
Jan 4, 2011 9:52 AM
I am new here so I haven’t had a chance to scan thru the related topics to my question.  I’ll try to be brief and get to my dilemma.  I purchased a Sealy Collamore/Reflexion Euro Plush Latex bed the day after Christmas ’09 from Mattress Giant.  I think buying a bed is more stressful and difficult than buying a car.  But anyway, we thought we really gave a valiant effort in trying out numerous mattresses before deciding on the Sealy latex one.  I think the 20 year warranty offered was a deciding factor because we really didn’t know a lot about latex beds nor did we ever own one before.  The mattress was great for the first 3-4 mos.  It was unbelievable waking up w/no back pain.  But then the sagging started around the 5th– 6thmonth.  As most of you probably know, Mattress Giant has a 90 day trial return policy.  We finally thought we had figured out the mystery in finding the right mattress because there was no need to return this one after 90 days; it felt great! As I mentioned, the sagging started and the back pain soon followed.  By month 8-9, it was so bad, my wife and I would actually drift to the middle during the night while sleeping.  We could hardly get out of bed because of major hip, shoulder and neck pain.  I was not optimistic filing a warranty claim because I figured there was some fine print in the warranty that would void the claim, but I had to try.  This king sized mattress cost $1734, not to mention another $365 for the split box springs, and another $115 for the mattress protector (the protector was mandatory in order for the warranty to be valid.  Grrrr).  But after taking many pictures, and pleading my case in the claim process, I was granted approval of my claim by Sealy thru Mattress Giant (very surprised to say the least).  Here’s my dilemma:  MG will replace my old defective latex mattress for the new Sealy Embody for NO CHARGE.  Otherwise, we would get the $1734 credit toward any other mattress in the store, and have to pay the difference.  I don’t know how that works w/the box spring cuz I think you have to have the box spring that goes w/the mattress otherwise the warranty is invalid.  Obviously I am very skeptical of getting another Sealy latex (Embody line) due to the nightmare with the other mattress.  But for an even exchange, it’s tempting because the Embody ones are more expensive and supposedly they’ve corrected all the problems.  They start at $1999 and go up from there.  We just want to have a mattress that will not give us back pain and a good night’s sleep.  It doesn’t seem like much to ask, but it sure is a trying process.  I know the Embody line is relatively new, but is there anyone out there that can provide any info on these beds?  Do you like/dislike them?  What are the odds it will sag like the other one?  What is a better mattress?  Thank you all!
Re: Dilemma with replacing Sealy Collamore w/a Sealy Embody. Help!
Reply #12 Mar 29, 2011 8:02 PM
I am now in the middle of filing a warranty claim with Mattress Giant for my horrible Collamore mattress.  I have all the same complaints as everyone else.  We bought it in July 2009 and after a few months noticed a visible sag, but couldn't feel too much of it.  Now the sag, or I should say the "canyons" that have formed where we sleep are unbearable.  I've taken to sleeping in the guest room on a spring mattress while my husband just has constant back pain.  I have submitted six photos of the mattress showing the sag, the frame it's on, that it is not stained, etc and today they sent me an email stating it's not sagging enough (1.5") and my claim is denied.  Someone from MG did phone me tonight to discuss the problem and now they are sending an independent mattress evaluator out to see the mattress.  I feel I now will have a huge fight on my hands to get them to honor the warranty.

Tom, how is your Embody mattress holding up?  If I can get MG to exchange this thing I think that's what I will have to go with.

Reply #13 Apr 4, 2011 1:23 PM
Krisrnc:  It's holding up much better than the Collamore.  Then again, anything is better than that bed, and it's still early w/the Embody.  I'm not going to "rave" about it because I still have the occasional hip pain when I sleep on my side.  But some nights I sleep real well.  I went w/the firmest Embody, then put a 1 1/2" topper on it.  The topper is not not the greatest of quality, but the mattress was just too firm by itself.  I feel for you with the claim process.  Fortunately, my claim was accepted after the first attempt.  If you can get a pic of the 1 1/2" sag (ruler and some type of string line showing), they should accept it.  It wasn't easy finding and getting a pic of that, but I did.  The problem w/MG, you're bound to their terms and you'll have to pick a mattress in their store.  As you've read on this post, I considered many options, even the tempurpedic, but that would have cost me an extra $1K.  The Embody was an even exchange, and seemed to be my best option.  I hope its years down the road before I have to buy another mattress, but I do know that I'll never step foot in a MG ever again.  Keep me posted and let me know if I can be of any help w/your claim.

Tom

Reply #14 Apr 30, 2011 9:29 AM
Well MG finally agreed to give me a credit for what we paid for the mattress.  I may have to print these posts to show that you got an even exchange.  After looking at my choices that are available I'm so disgusted right now.  We're going to the store today to try the Embody.  I did also notice that their top of the line Embody is almost 3K more than an internet site is charging for the same.  If I wouldn't be out over 2K I'd just walk away and have nothing to do with MG ever again.
Sealy Embody vs. Restonic Brooklyn Latex
Reply #15 Nov 11, 2011 1:23 PM
Hi,

I have ordered a Restonic latex mattress from a small mattress shop. After reading several reviews, it appears some folks haven't been happy with premature sagging. Does anyone know if I'm better off to get the Sealy Embody? 

Also, I tried to find information on the Restonic Brooklyn Latex but nothing came up on the internet. I'm staring to get nervous about this order

klopackmom

All I can really say is a repeat of a previous post ...

Beside the embody ... there isn't another mattress in the store I believe is really worth exchanging for as they all have more than an inch ... and in most cases much more than an inch of soft poly in the top layers.

The only other mattress they carry that doesn't have too much soft poly in the comfort layers is the tempurpedic which has high quality polyfoam in the support layers (like the embody) and then has memory foam above that (instead of latex). They are also much more expensive than other high quality memory foam mattresses but there are people who love them although I'm personally not one of them. If you have never slept on a memory foam mattress I would strongly suggest you do some research (online and "lay on mattress" research) on how they feel and perform before considering exchanging for one.

Neiher of these have "soft poly" in the comfort layers so would not have the "ingredients" that tend to cause impressions. Personally I believe that Tempurpedic is way overpriced compared to other high quality memory foam mattresses and I also believe that unless you know for sure that you and memory foam "like each other" for a longer period of time than a few minutes in a store ... I would tend to avoid them ... especially in the higher priced versions where if you find you don't like memory foam at all you have spent (or traded) a lot of money. Of course if the outlet you buy from allows a full refund or an exchange for another good quality mattress after 30 days (or longer) of trying it at no cost to you and without a "penalty", then they may be worth trying. Others would probably disagree with this because they believe that Tempur is a higher quality memory foam than any other however I don't share this opinion.

I would also bear in mind that memory foam of any kind (even tempur or other high quality memory foams which will last longer than "cheap" memory foam) is not as durable as latex. The Tempur warranty (and other memory foam mattresses) also usually includes:

This warranty does not cover:

• A normal increase in softness of the TEMPUR® pressure-relieving material which does not affect the pressure-relieving qualities of the mattress

among other "exclusions" (which are common to all mattresses) and this (softening) is far more likely to happen with any memory foam than it is with latex.

Phoenix

PS: If I was "starting out new" I wouldn't consider any mattress in the store at all since there are also better quality "all latex" mattresses at a lower cost than the embody but because of your circumstances, you have to go with what is available. The only way I would consider the tempurpedic is if you retain the 90 day ability to exchange it for the same choices you have now AND get a refund (not a "further" exchange) for any extra you paid with no penalty or anything else deducted. I would also get this in writing. Even then I personally wouldn't consider this but you may be one of those that feel the price of the Tempur-pedic is worth it and you would have 90 days to test it out.

This message was modified Nov 11, 2011 by klopackmom
Reply #16 Feb 10, 2014 11:04 AM
Greetings!  It's been quite sometime since me or anyone has commented on this post.  So I thought I would chime back in and give you an update on my 'Sealy Embody Insightful' king size mattress. 

I've had this mattress since early 2011 as a result of a warrantly claim I filed to replace a "junk" Sealy Collamore/Reflexion foam mattress. Sealy quit maunufacturing the Collamore to what I believe was due to so many complaints and warranty claims against it.  So the Embody replaced the Collamore.  I was one of very few Collamore owners who actually was successful in filing a warranty claim (due to severe sagging in the middle). So the Embody was a welcomed mattress and it seemed much better at first, for about a year. It was quite a bit lighter, it had great support, there was no sagging, and was quite comfortable. So all was well and I thought my days of "mattress hell" and sleepless nights were behind me.  Well....I said for about a year. For the last 1yr+, it's doing the same thing as my old Collamore. It sags where I sleep. There's a noticable "high spot" in the middle (where no one sleeps), then it sags where my wife sleeps. My lower and especially mid back is always in pain when I wakeup in the morning. The thought of actually pursuing another warranty claim makes me nauseous. So, I'm completely DONE with these "memory foam" mattresses; they just break down over time and don't offer the neccesary support IMO. For all the Temporpedic supporters out there, that MIGHT be the only 'legit' foam mattress.  I just could never justify the cost of those.  Maybe I should've after going thru this.  Just knowing that I have over $2700 invested in this mattress(+ the lengthly warranty claim process), for it to last about a year, with the last 1yr+ being very dissatisfied; not to mention the painful, stressful process of going to a retailer being pressured by a sales person, trying out all these beds to make a sound decsion that's going to impact your sleep for many years, makes me sick. The consumer is always in a "no win situation".  So I'm curious to hear from other Embody owners since this mattress has been out for a few years now.

In due time, and once I can justify the cost, I'm either leaning towards Original Mattress Factory or Sleep Number next. Again, for what it's worth, neither my wife or my body size has changed since this original post. I'm still 180lbs and my wife is 130lb. Thanks!

Recent Posts